Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:01:19 PM
714584 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Kentucky Fried Chicken and Colonel Sanders « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Kentucky Fried Chicken and Colonel Sanders  (Read 4147 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 04, 2005, 03:01:45 PM »

I have noticed that several cheapo movies from the late 1960s/early 1970s have "product placement" scenes for Kentucky Fried Chicken.  A few Herschell Gordon Lewis movies come to mind.  For instance, in one H.G. Lewis movie (I think it is THE GRUESOME TWOSOME) there is a scene in a women's dormitory or sorority house where everyone is eating Kentucky Fried Chicken.  Very recently, I bought Al Adamson's HELL'S BLOODY DEVIL'S, and there is a scene with two people eating in a Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant.  There is a big bucket of chicken sitting on the table.  While they are eating, Colonel Sanders himself comes over and talks to them.  At first, they don't seem to recognize him, but then they see a lifesize cardboard cut-out of him in the background and they realize who he is and start laughing (this is a REALLY embarrassing scene).  So, does anyone have any idea why The Colonel would choose to use grade-z exploitation movies as marketing tools?  Is it because Kentucky Fried Chicken is such a GREAT choice to take to the drive-in?  (We used to bring it to the drive-in sometimes when I was a kid . . . I guess the ads worked!)

Post Edited (06-04-05 15:04)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Menard
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2005, 03:12:53 PM »

Are you sure it was Harlan Sanders or perhaps someone made up to look like him? Maybe he financed Adamson's film?

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »

Menard:  It is definitely the REAL Colonel Sanders!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Menard
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2005, 03:21:00 PM »

He was good at marketing. Perhaps that was his ploy to get KFC recognized; by getting it seen wherever he could. He certainly became one of the most recognizable figures.

Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 07:16:59 PM »

Remember Goldfinger when FBI guys have their car parked in front of a KFC.
peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »

Oh . . . my . . . God . . .
This has got to be a real thing.  My wife and I just watched a very VERY bad biker chick film:  "She Devils on Wheels"(1967), and there's a long scene in there wherein the biker babes and their boy-toys are eating . . . KFC!!  
Both my wife and I laughed about it & made comments on it at the time, as it seemed really out of place and inappropriate given the story so far on film.
The director of "She Devils on Wheels"?:
Herschell Gordon Lewis!!
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2005, 09:22:27 PM »

SHE DEVILS ON WHEELS is rough viewing.

Flangepart

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 11:09:03 AM »

Espchualy if you get a bone stuck in your throat along with the movie!
Sanders was a notorious huckster. He must have lived by the addage "Any publicity is good publicity."

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Bargle5
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 06:49:48 PM »

I remember seeing the Colonel in a Jerry Lewis movie back in the 60s. He was trying to check in to a hotel IIRC.

Found it, it was "The Big Mouth".

Frogs with their endless croaking, croaking, croaking in the night.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Kentucky Fried Chicken and Colonel Sanders « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.