Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 03:34:37 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Van Helsing (2004) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Van Helsing (2004)  (Read 1843 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: June 08, 2005, 01:03:35 AM »

VAN HELSING (2004) - Really liked this film. Not sure if it will ever be considered a classic. The film really gives us some really good Vampire, Werewolf, and Frankenstien lore. The CGI some how dosn't get in the way of this film and works out ok for a change. The movie just keeps moving for the whole 2 hours. The Vampire ball and the semi-comic approach in the dialogue of the film reminded me of THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS. Really liked the Frankenstien character. Well done film. Thanks to everyone who said good things about this movie a few post back. Turned out good.

Neville

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 03:31:02 AM »

Ugh. Didsn't care much for it when I saw it. Too much CGI, too much "funny" dialogue, too much action, too little horror. I enjoyed "The mummy returns" for being both funny and straight faced, but I think Stephen Sommers went to far here.

Funny fact: One of the she-vampires (the one who has more screen time) is played by spanish actress Elena Anaya.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 05:13:27 AM »

"Not sure if it will ever be considered a classic."

You must be the only one then that isn't because I'm fairly certain anyone else could tell you with absolute certainty that this movie will never ever be considered a classic for any reason.

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 06:49:56 AM »

I'm with Scott.  I've seen the flick a few times and I have found it enjoyable on each occasion.  Sure it's stupid, has a lot of CGI and bad acting....but it's a really fun flick.  Certainly not a classic as Scott said, but worth watching none the less.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
odinn7

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 07:19:03 AM »

...yeah, plus it's got Kate Beckinsale...

Post Edited (06-08-05 07:40)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:21:24 AM »

How did I know you were going to say that Odinn?

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
dean

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 07:35:17 AM »

Whilst I enjoyed it a bit, overall it was pretty forgettable in the long term.  Though it is always good to see vampires and Frankie on the big screen!

The thing that stuck with me the most was the fact that Kate Beckinsale's character was supposed to be a vamp hunter, and I kept thinking how impractical it is to wear high heels with that in mind.  Sure, you could use them as stakes, but the benefits don't seem to outwiegh the negatives!  That being said, they looked hot so who am I to complain really? :-P

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
odinn7

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 07:42:15 AM »

Skaboi wrote:

> How did I know you were going to say that Odinn?
>

I'm shallow, superficial AND predictable.

Post Edited (06-08-05 07:46)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Gerry
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 09:46:01 AM »

I liked it quite a bit the first time I saw it at the theater.  I even liked it the second time I saw it on DVD.  But by the time I had watched it the 4th time for a review I was really beginning to dislike the movie.  Right now I am in no rush to ever watch it again.  It has absolutely no staying power.  Here's my review if anyone is interested.

(I do love those Brides though)

Scott

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 09:46:02 AM »

Yea, I really enjoyed it. A bit long, but some of the scenes with the 3 Vampiresses, Frankenstien strapped down on a boat with the dwarfs rowing him away.

Another part I liked was under the Vatican and the friar as the James Bond-ish technical gadget guy. The film did alot in two hours.

Also liked all the Vampire, Frankenstien, Werewolf folklore added. The carriage ride through the forest.

Our hero Van Helsing and the friar riding off into the sunset at the end.

Wonder how it would have come out if they made the film old style without the CGI and humor (which was ok).

Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 08:32:52 PM »

I really liked this flick myself. The actor who played Dracula, Richard Roxburgh was a pretty good Dracula.  I thought it was pretty hillarious when he would get blood on his hand and sort of bring it up to his mouth and shudder. I walk around doing that alot..yes I am wierd.
Foywonder
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 12:25:26 AM »

"The actor who played Dracula, Richard Roxburgh was a pretty good Dracula."

NOW SHOWING IN FOYEURISM:
GOLDEN BAT - Feast your eyes on the wildest, wackiest, funkiest, Chiba-est Japanese superhero movie you've probably never heard of
B-WARE THE BLOG! - My blog devoted to the schlocktastic!
Scott

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2005, 05:04:40 AM »

Igor was very good. Probably the best Igor ever on film.

Ellie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2005, 08:27:24 AM »

I don't know his name but Igor was played by the same guy who was Benny on "The Mummy".
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 08:30:15 AM »

*cough!*

"Igor, would you mind telling me whose brain I did put in?"

"And you won't be angry?"

"I will NOT be angry."

"Abby someone."

"Abby someone. Abby who?"

"Abby Normal."

"Abby Normal?"

"I'm almost sure that was the name."
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Van Helsing (2004) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.