Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:40:00 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anyone prefer VHS over DVD? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Anyone prefer VHS over DVD?  (Read 8315 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2005, 11:45:14 AM »

Susan,

That is true.  There have been numerous DVDs that I've rented with scratches that have played just fine.  Then, they are DVDs that are spotless yet they jump and freeze.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Susan
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2005, 01:09:16 PM »

skaboi - it may have to do with the player or the type of disc the dvd was burned onto more than a scratch, if you ask me. I think it may have to do with the labels they slap onto the disc which overtime may get warped from the heat of the player

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2005, 03:38:29 PM »

Let's see.... people should always go with the latest technology when entertaining themselves (something that very much depends on personal taste all around), or there is something wrong with them. Indeed, they should be "kicked in the crotch."

And you think Menard's response was out of line? Hell, I didn't even think of the Parkinson's angle, and I took offense. You want to talk about a knee-jerk reaction, how about the assumption that DVDs are better, so people who prefer VHS (for any reason, we must assume, since you never specified) are lazy, stupid or otherwise just plain wrong? Not just wrong, mind you, but deserving of scorn and physical abuse, in your words. What the hell do you call that?

Personally, I've pretty much exclusively bought DVDs for the past three years (except for OOP titles), and only rent VHS when it's the only option. But I can't see how that makes me better than someone else who chooses to do things differently. If somebody wants to collect VHS tapes exclusively, then more power to them. None of us is here because we like what entertains the majority of people. What makes this different?

Post Edited (06-18-05 17:14)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Blue.Brutal
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2005, 08:54:01 PM »

Skaboi wrote:

>
> The only problem that I can actually see with DVD today is the
> invention of new DVD mediums.  Right now, conglomerates are
> working on two new types - BlueRay Discs and DVD-HD discs.
> Both have better quality and can hold more info, but that means
> that we'll have to buy all new DVDs and players due to the fact
> that the new players won't be able to play standard DVDs.
>

Actually, they will be able to play the older formats; at least, Blueray and HD-DVD allow for backward compatability, and the manufacturers seem eager to build in DVD compatability.  Check this site:

http://www.hddvd.org/hddvd/difformatsblueray.php

Personally, I think VHS and DVD both have their ups and downs - it's still a lot cheaper to record to VHS, if for no other reason than because VHS tapes are bloody cheap.  DVD, however, provides better quality and, with proper care, a longer shelf life.  I realize that VHS can have an incredibly long lifespan, but there's a lot of things that can effect VHS (humidity, actually playing them, setting them the wrong way on the shelf) that have little to no impact on DVD.  DVD allows for commentary, VHS does not.  DVDs occasionally pause briefly as they change layers, something you never have to worry about with VHS.  DVDs take up a hell of a lot less space than VHS, which has made it easier to sell entire seasons or runs of television shows (I'm working on my Greatest American Hero, Millenium, and Sliders collections - and I must say I like TV shows a lot better without commercials).

In the end I prefer DVD - between commentaries, better quality, and the TV series, I think the format has more to offer.

On a side note, I'm cheering for Blueray over HD-DVD.  For one thing, it has a much catchier name.  For another, the storage capacity for a Blueray disc is more than three times that of HD-DVD.  There really isn't much of a choice there, in my book.

__
"And besides – it simply isn’t possible to hate a film whose ultimate moral is that, yes, all the bad stuff in the world is Ashton Kutcher’s fault; and, yes, many people would be better off if Ashton Kutcher had never come into their lives."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2005, 08:31:52 AM »

I have been getting DVD every since the PS2 came out so thats around 2000. I do prefer DVDs but sometimes things are edited when they switch form VHS to DVD like Return of the living dead 3 which I got on VHS but thats minor. One other thing why I like DVD is easier storage. If you live in apt. or smaller house and are into movies their a godsend as they don't take up much room compared to bulk VHS.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Three Oranges
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 10:21:38 AM »

The $1 clearance used VHS is one of the greatest things ever created.

So many good bad movies to be found that way.
odinn7

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2005, 11:41:22 AM »

OW! My freakin' crotch!

Seriously, they both have their good and bad points as has been mentioned and I do prefer to watch DVD but VHS does have plenty of reasons to still be around. I have VHS tapes that I've had since the 80's and even though they are watchable, they are horrible from age. As someone pointed out before, if they're kept in optimal conditions, they'll last a long time. How many of us have the means to do this? This is the worst part about VHS but other than that, I see no problem with it.
Just last year I bought a new VCR. I felt kinda stupid doing this as I figured people would think I'm a freak but I needed one to replace one of my others. I still have plenty of movies and I still need something to record things on TV. I will also be buying another one in a few months since my daughter will be getting one for her room. She's got quite a few VHS kids movies and I'm not scrapping them just to go and get her DVDs for movies that she's not even going to like anymore in a few years.

Now, I suppose it's time for me to be kicked in the crotch because I still use it and I guess someone will need to kick my little girl in the crotch too. She watches quite a bit of VHS

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Jim H

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2005, 04:07:39 PM »

VHS tapes wear out the more you watch them, they wear out from extremes in temperature, and from age.  In 20 years most VHS tapes are in very poor quality (watch an early 80s beta or VHS and tell me it still looks good).

It is true DVDs can be damaged, but if you handle them with care they last a long, long time - and far fewer of them "go bad" as CDs have been known to.

"player because there are so many movies out there that could be gotten for so much less. "

Really?  I buy movies on DVD for $1 at times, and a number of movies in my collection are in the $5-$6 range.  I very rarely pay more than $15.  How much are you paying for VHS?  It is true that if you buy them in bulk, you can get great deals...  But the collector's value of VHS is nil to me, especially considering their terrible long term viability.

However, I will say one thing about VHS - they're cheaper to rent at Hollywood Video, so I still rent them.  I also like how the rental VHS almost always have a few movie trailers, which I love. I also think the fuzziness of VHS actually enhances the experience of some low budget films.

"Not only that but digital technology is unreliable. It's been shown that the coating of a DVD is liable to fall off after 7 years "

Digital technology is not unreliable.  The coating on DVDs isn't digital technology.  I haven't ever observed what you are referring to, though similar problems have happened to CDs (people have reported about 1 in 8 of their older CDs have "gone bad").  These are manufacturing problems, not a problem inherent in the technology.  It's also worth mentioning that I believe the next iteration of DVD is due to have a casing of some kind, which I will personally welcome.  I will NOT be upgrading my old DVDs though...

BTW, have you ever thought about looking into laserdisc?
Jim H

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2005, 04:17:08 PM »

"It's like when they phase out DVD's (which will happen very soon i'm sure)"

DVDs were adopted extremely quickly, far quicker than they had predicted.  HD-DVDs will replace them, though I'm not sure if they have a street date on them yet.  I've heard something like 2007-2008, possibly even as late as 2010.  HD-DVD will be backwards compatible, so I'm not too upset..  Well, I guess I shouldn't state things so strongly, as they haven't even finalized a format yet.  But I still think it is a bit too early.  

HD is still a TINY percentage of homes in America, and a quite small percentage of DVD owners have them.  HD-DVD on a typical setup will have almost no advantage over current DVDs (regular DVD resolution is approximately the same resolution as a high end normal TV).  Eh, I'm not too excited about.
Jim H

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2005, 04:19:26 PM »

"we'll have to buy all new DVDs and players due to the fact that the new players won't be able to play standard DVDs."

Actually, from what I can recall HD-DVD is backwards compatible.  I think blu-ray can be also.
Jim H

« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2005, 04:21:28 PM »

"Then, they are DVDs that are spotless yet they jump and freeze."

I've noticed this also.  I think in many cases this is due to low quality discs.  I've noticed this in a couple of my crappy bargain sets (like a Kung Fu set I have, one movie glitches in one spot for no apparent reason)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2005, 07:10:34 PM »

In response to the manufacturing of a protective outer casing for DVD's, I will make the switch from VHS to DVD when they can make DVDs almost idiot proof. We're talking about a casing so a simple drop won't scratch the information. We're all idiots once in a while and drop the DVD, but if they could be as durable as a VHS tape is with its protective outer casing, count me first in line!

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 06:21:43 AM »

I got rid of my entire VHS collection and I deal with nothing but DVDs now.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
odinn7

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 06:54:09 AM »

The Burgomaster wrote:

> I got rid of my entire VHS collection and I deal with nothing
> but DVDs now.
>

Well, sir, I guess your crotch is safe.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Menard
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 07:14:48 AM »

odinn7 wrote:

> The Burgomaster wrote:
>
> > I got rid of my entire VHS collection and I deal with nothing
> > but DVDs now.
> >
>
>
> Well, sir, I guess your crotch is safe.
>

There's a reputation to live down (:

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Anyone prefer VHS over DVD? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.