Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:32:57 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent Viewings  (Read 2274 times)
Scott
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« on: June 27, 2005, 11:25:31 AM »

AMERICAN ASTRONAUT (2001) Yes, this is a unique film that had me smiling all the way through. This b/w film is so bizarre it's hard to describe. Starts off with at some kind of space bar on an astoroid around Mars where some kind of dance contest is happening. This has to be seen to be believed. This space taveller merchant takes some guy to Venus where they need a new man. The old one is old or dead I wasn't quite sure. Can't believe this film has been around for 4 years and I've never heard of it. The music is also very different and very good in a weird way. Thanks Scottie for the recommendation. A must see in my opinion.

LAND OF THE DEAD (2005) - The multiplex theater that I went to only had this film playing on one screen and the time was different than moviephone.com had said, so I went the the other theater that was showing it. Not a bad zombie film and Romero added a little to the Zombie genre with this one, but somehow it wasn't enough. Some good lines and gore. Dennis Hopper should have been the main character. He has a couple good moments, but again not enough. The Zombies were pretty good and it looked like Pittsburgh was the shooting location in this film as I think most of Romero's films where shot in this area (guess he lives there).

ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 (1976) Great film! Director John Carpenter really makes the most of every moment in this film with dialogue, action, and atmosphere. The whole film is shot to perfection. This is my first time viewing of this movie and I highly recommend it.

Post Edited (06-27-05 11:31)

Menard
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:40:45 AM »

I recently watched ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13 this past week, for about the fouth time, and still thouroughly enjoy it. Carpenter's use of his own music for the soundtrack really adds to the pace and tension of this and so many of his other films.

BTW, have I missed something or have you been away from the board for a while? You almost had another tribute post. `(:

odinn7

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 11:58:54 AM »

I plan on seeing Land of the Dead sometime this week (well, if everything goes my way) and I'm looking forward to it.
Assault on Precinct 13 was a great movie. When I was a kid, my friend and I would watch it any time it came on tv. I rented the remake last week and it wasn't too bad. There were major, major plot holes but if you could just get over it, the movie was fairly fun (and lotsa gun play doesn't hurt if you ask me). Given the choice of the 2, however, I would definitely pick the original.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 02:41:28 PM »

Man, I'm watching "Land of the dead" as soon as it gets released in my hometown. The movies are dead on this season, there's nothing worth seing anywhere.

I may re-watch "Assault on police..." soon. I remember enjoying it when i first saw it, but also comparing it with later and better JC's films, which certainly wasn't fair. Now that I've seen (and liked) the remake, I should watch it again with a different mindset.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 07:23:01 PM »

'Assault' is so strange/odd in a great way. It reminds me of how the main thorough-faire a few block from my house was a dirty, drug-addled, prostitute-infested place during the '70's to mid '80's.

Scott

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:22:28 PM »

Yea, I really enjoyed the original ASSAULT ON PRECINCT 13. Haven't seen the newer one and will wait till cable.

Been busy lately Menard, but I've been checking on the board once in a while.  My daughters out of school for summer and she is turning 17 this week with her driving test Thursday and bought a used car for her. While I'm trying to get some exercise, yard work, and a whole list of other things done while nursing an injury.

If you get a chance see THE AMERICAN ASTRONAUT. You'll like it.  Good film.

Menard
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2005, 11:43:28 PM »

Scott wrote:

> Been busy lately Menard, but I've been checking on the board
> once in a while.  My daughters out of school for summer and she
> is turning 17 this week with her driving test Thursday and
> bought a used car for her. While I'm trying to get some
> exercise, yard work, and a whole list of other things done
> while nursing an injury.

Hope the injury is nothing serious.

Having your teenage daughter starting to drive must have you on edge just a little. Is she doing pretty good? Well, she must be if you bought her a car.

I have been dealing with probating a will after my mother's untimely passing, or beginning to find out what all is involved. Still dealing with the emotions but I am improving there. It is good to have some people online with which to chat, as the cat is not very talkative. (:

I am taking some time and getting in a few movies, so I may check out THE AMERICAN ASTRONAUT.

odinn7

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 06:50:35 AM »

Scott, sorry to hear you got hurt. I hope it's something you can overcome fairly easily.

Menard, every day that goes by should make it easier on you. Just try to keep a positive attitude.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scott

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 09:17:59 AM »

My daughter has had her permit for almost a year now and has done very well. She will take her test on her birthday. This week we have been doing parallel parking every day which we never had to encounter the whole 12 months with her permit as she drove on a daily basis. We picked up a very nice used Yellow  2002 Chevy Cavalier Coup LS with all power windows, locks and sunroof. The yellow is the same color as used in the KILL BILL films. Cost at purchase was $5,700 at 92,000 miles which I guessed must have been highway miles, so I thought $5,700 was a fair price they were asking $6,999 for it and I made an initial bid of $5,000. The motor is super clean and sounds good and has real metal spoke/hubs on the wheels. It's a real eye catcher, but also noticed while on a few trips with it this week that it also catches the eye of the police, so she will have to drive extra careful.

Sorry to have heard about your situation. Hope that any hardships you are going through are alleviated. Don't mean to make lite of your lost, but I see death as more life. Life more abundant of which it is my hope that your mother and everyone will also experience both here and in the next world.

I think you will enjoy THE AMERICAN ASTRONAUT.

PinkDog
New Visitor

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 04:09:34 PM »

Greetings, this is my first post here...

I saw Assault on Precinct 13 not too long ago and really liked it.  It's minimalist in its dialogue and acting but that really works for it, not against it.  I liked the characters and, in my mind, Napoleon and Leigh have run off and gotten married and are raising dogs somewhere that's really sunny.

It had good tension in it.  The whole ice cream truck sequence was nicely done.  And I agree that the soundtrack added to the atmosphere.

Well, I'm glad other people like it, too!
SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »

Net flix list/stars rewarded for the month of June

The Hills Have eyes - 3 out of 5
Heavenly Creatures - 4 out of 5
Splatter University - 2 out of 5
Orgazmo - 4 out of 5
Dawn of the Dead (2004) - 3 out of 5
Kids - 2 out of 5
Slacker - 3 out of 5
Fear and Loathing - 4 out of 5
A Better Place - 4 out of 5
MASH - 4 out of 5
Zelig - 4 out of 5
Rock and Roll Frankenstein - 2 1/2 out of 5
Meet the Feebles - 3 out of 5
Scrubs Season 1: Disc 1 - 5 out of 5
Pink Flamingos - 3 out of 5
Final Destination - 4 out of 5
Martin - 3 out of 5
Legend - 3 out of 5
Body Melt - 4 out of 5
In Good Company - 4 out of 5
Drawing Flies - 3 out of 5

Also saw Batman Begins - 4 1/2 stars (out of 5)

for reasons why what movie got what star just ask
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2005, 12:25:35 AM »

This reminds me I never gave a 1 star to a movie in Netflick or a 5 for that matter. I could not stand "Kids" something about that movie turned me off.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

SaintMort
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2005, 07:51:27 AM »

It felt like one of those movies trying to tell us how our generation is when actually it's a very poor portrayal of kids that age. When the movie came out I was like 10, but all my friends (neighbors and their friends) where like 15-18 and not a single one was like that.

I mean granted I live in a suburb which is a world of difference but I still say the best portrayal of kids in america today are the Kevin Smith films (mainly Clerks and Mallrats) and Garden State.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2005, 08:29:45 AM »

SaintMort I live in NYC and trust me you are right its a poor portayal. I was around 16 when I saw it and I was like what the hell at the end. I knew all different type of people and I never ran into anyone like them. Granted some truth is mixed in but most of it is for shock.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.