Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 11:22:29 AM
714526 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Books to movies « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Books to movies  (Read 8333 times)
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2005, 02:42:35 PM »

I would love to see a well-done movie of Fred Saberhagen's original Sword trilogy.

Or of _The Empire of the East_, also done by Saberhagen.

But no movie would be done as well as Saberhagen wrote those books, so I would inevitably be disappointed.

(But I said that about the Lord of the Rings, years ago, and was proven wrong.)
Master Blaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2005, 03:48:32 PM »

They should put the storyboard and script together. If nothing else it'd make a hell of a comic.
Fearless Freep

« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2005, 04:57:59 PM »

I'd also love to see film version of Elric, but it would probably have to be anime to include the scale of things, the look of the people, the sense of doom, and the sheer violence of it all.

That would be really cool...

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Blue.Brutal
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2005, 03:12:56 AM »

Before I get going, just to make sure I actually make a comment that has something to do with the topic of the thread, I would love to see a decent big screen treatment of The Hobit; I'm not hopeful that it will happen, but one can dream.  I also wouldn't complain about seeing a properly low budget treatment of "The Navidson Record" from Mark Z. Danielewski's brilliant and atmospheric House of Leaves.  Glen Cook's Black Company series would be absolutely wonderful if done right - great storytelling in a consistant and facinating fantasy world.   I'd camp out for tickets.

That having been said, I feel the need to jump in here to defend the Enderverse.

Ender's Game is a brilliant novel, and I don't think I'm going to get a lot of arguement out of anyone for that.  Although it was based on a short story, however, the novel was actually written as a set up for Speaker for the Dead (which I didn't much care for) - Speaker wasn't any kind of attempt to cash in on Ender; if he were going to do that, wouldn't Speaker and the rest of the later books at least bear a passing resemblance to Ender's Game?

The Shadow series is a harder arguement to make, but I found that Ender's Shadow, if taken as a companion piece to Ender's Game, is actually an excellent story.  It also helps explain Bean's attitude, and it even poses the question of what it means to be human, and handles it without cop-out, simplistic answers.

I loved Ender's Shadow and I read it every year right after I finish Ender's Game, usually some time in January.  I also enjoyed Shadow of the Hegemon and Shadow Puppets (two more books about Bean after the Bugger Wars), but they aren't as good (althought they do for Petra what Ender's Shadow did for Bean in a lot of ways).  Shadow of the Giant (the most recent book, published earlier this year) is pretty much crap, and a lousy way to end the Shadow Series.

Anyway, yeah, theoretically there'll be an Ender's Game movie in 2008, and one of the reasons it's taken so long is that OSC flat out refuses to let them age the characters to provide more mass appeal.  Personally, I always found it kind of disturbing having 5 year olds killing people, but, hey, what can you do, right?

__
"And besides – it simply isn’t possible to hate a film whose ultimate moral is that, yes, all the bad stuff in the world is Ashton Kutcher’s fault; and, yes, many people would be better off if Ashton Kutcher had never come into their lives."
odinn7

« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2005, 07:10:16 AM »

Man, I just can't wait until they make a movie of that great book "Battlefield Earth". Hm? They already did and it sucked? John Travolta? Oh man...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2005, 12:13:35 PM »

Don't forget he threatened to make a sequel based on the other half of the book, even though the first one bombed......

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Books to movies « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.