Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:18:18 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blue Bird (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Blue Bird (1976)  (Read 937 times)
LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« on: July 14, 2005, 03:54:20 PM »

Yes, the infamous US/Soviet co-production disaster!! I've had the displeasure of coming across it not once but twice, the first time seeing the entire thing on tv around '79-'80 and the second time catching the last 5 minutes of it again on tv say around '95 or so. What is so weird is how this movie has stuck with me since I was a very young kid. At the time, I thought it was such an odd-ball movie, but still thought it was interesting. I bet if I were to watch it now I would get a big laugh out of it since it's so bad (in a good way). Here's the basic plot (from IMDb) - A pair of peasant children, Mytyl (the  Patsy Kensit) and her brother Tyltyl (Todd Lookinland - brother of Mike), are led on a magical quest for the fabulous Blue Bird of Happiness by the Fairy Berylune. On their journey, they are accompanied by the humanized presences of a Dog, a Cat, Light, Fire, Bread, and other entities. The cast also includes Elizabeth Taylor, Jane Fonda, Ava Gardener, Cicely Tyson, Robert Morley, Will Greer, and a number of Russian actors. How many of you have seen it or have heard about it over the years? It's definitely on par in 'badness' with that Russian Jack Frost movie that was on MST3K.

DaveMunger
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2005, 09:33:28 PM »

This sounds very similar to a Shirley Temple movie, is it a remake?

LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2005, 10:41:23 AM »

Yeah, I guess it would be a remake of the earlier movie.

Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2005, 02:04:03 PM »

That description sounds so incredibly familiar....
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2005, 10:33:52 PM »

I have not only heard of both films. I have seen both films. While based on a popular play by Maurice Maeterlinck, it seems one of those works that cannot be adapted for the big screen. Not only was the 1976 version, despite all the talent in it, a financial and critical failure. Shirley Temple had one of her few film failures with the 1940 version.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Blue Bird (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.