Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:03:02 AM
714466 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Recent Viewings: Foreign Edition « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Recent Viewings: Foreign Edition  (Read 891 times)
Herodotus
Dedicated Viewer

« on: August 12, 2005, 06:28:10 PM »

Downfall: (Der Untergang. 2004) Excellent German film covering the last days of Adolf Hitler and the fall of Berlin to the Soviets in 1945. What stands out most about the film is Bruno Ganz’ amazing performance as Hitler instead of just playing him as a raving maniac, which there is still plenty of, Ganz gives the performance depth and you also see what a pathetic broken thing he was at the end trying to hide behind delusions of make-believe armies, and weapons that would turn the tide. You also see the heartless disregard for the lives of his people. Superb production values and equally strong script, riveting performances from Ganz, Corinna Harfouch, as a cold Hitler worshiping Magda Goebbels (her characters last act will make your skin crawl) and an unnervingly good performance from Ulrich Matthes as Joseph Goebbels, the sycophant's sycophant, along with efficient direction from Oliver Hirschbiegel keeps things moving quickly so that the film’s more than two hour thirty-five minute run time goes by very quickly.  Highly recommended.

Joint Security Area (2000) A South Korean film that further confirms just how excellent their film industry is. A film that works as a mystery, political drama, character study and social commentary. After a border incident between North and South Korea a pair of neutral nation officers investigate the reasons for the incident, which left two North Korea soldiers dead, and one wounded from both sides. With resistance from both sides and stories that don’t add up the investigators piece together the story which makes for a very good film that keeps you interested from beginning to end. It does look like it will run out of steam during the flashback which makes up the middle of the film, but it quickly picks it self up and finishes well with an especially sad last shot that speaks volumns about the relationship between the two Koreas. Kang-ho Song is quite good as the North Korean survivor-he was also in Shiri. Director Chan-wook Park is already looking like a film deity with JSA, Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance and Oldboy, the latter two I must see. Highly recommended.

Warriors of Heaven and Earth (2003) Dear director Ping He let me now express the many ways I hate your film Warriors of Heaven and Earth. I could easily overlook the confusing opening twenty minutes where I practically need a scorecard to keep the myriad of characters their motivations and backstories straight. Or I could lament how after that terrible start your film suddenly kicks into high gear and nearly redeems itself with some good ole slam-bang action scenes like the fight in the town or the attack on the caravan, which, however, is marred by the laughably silly death of one of the soldiers. No,  Ping He you should regret the moment it all goes so terribly wrong and why I loath your film: I present to you exhibit A, the blanking blank of a mother-blanking cave scene. Right there the completely incongruous supernatural element is awkwardly shoehorned into the story and then film goes off the rails. Even then Ping you almost saved it with the finale at the fort, but no you blew that with the lamest deus ex macina I have ever seen and completely ruined what could have been a darn good movie. In spite of good stolid performances from the leads, an epic scale, beautiful cinematography it all goes for naught. Avoid.

« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2005, 01:16:25 PM »

Interesting... Obviously, if Hitler was just a raving lunatic, he wouldn't have risen to power as he did. Dare I say he may have been a bit more intelligent than that?

Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2005, 01:44:03 PM »

Herodotus,

Glad you enjoyed JSA.  I've been singing the praises of Park since I first saw Oldboy.  The guy certainly has a great cinematic eye.  

JSA is a great flick and it's sad that more of us haven't seen it.  Fantastic tense film that's getting remade here in the states but focusing on the US/Mexico border.

If you like Korean cinema, check out Save The Green Planet, you'll love it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Herodotus
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »

I will have to look for Save the Green Planet and give it a view. So far I have been impressed with the few South Korean films I have seen (JSA, Shirri, Brotherhood of War), I do plan on avoiding Little Matchgirl, which got scathing reviews. Thanks for the info.

Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.