Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:42:26 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Final Cut: Good Science Fiction « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Final Cut: Good Science Fiction  (Read 1813 times)
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« on: August 05, 2005, 10:40:40 PM »

I've often read mini-debates about what sci fi really is.  For example, some argue that Star Wars is not science fiction at all, at least as far as true fans of the genre define it.  To me, the movie The Final Cut answers the question: where are the modern true sci fi movies?

It's hard for me to believe this was Omar Naim's first movie; heck, the kid was only one year out of film school, quit is job to take three months to write a screenplay and the next thing he knew, he had a producer and Robin Williams was interested in the lead. My prediction is: watch this guy; I really doubt he'll be a one-hit wonder.

I could not help contrasting his style to (my nemesis) M. Night Shyamalan.  Their styles were so diametrically opposed, the comparison is not really fair (and one would not call Shyamalan's work sci fi, imo).  But, that's where my mind wondered. Naim comes across as humble (to MNS's arrogance) and very likable; his direction is smooth and very engaging.  And beautifully subtle.  Again, in contrast to MNS, I found little resort to "plot devices" that only work the first time you see the movie.

When I rented The Final Cut, I was in the mood to be challenged by 'good sci fi.'  It delivered.  The story was extremely well told; indeed, it is the personal story of the main character, and there is no scene in the movie that lack that character.  As for plot, the fictional technology was not overpowering (as it should not be); the movie was not about the technology, but rather the thematic elements that underlie the entire film.  All major characters were extremely well developed, even with very little screen time.  As I said, watch Naim; he's got the knack.

For those that have not seen it, the plot resides in a society that has implants that record every sight and sound of a person's life.  After death, the implant is removed, sent to a "cutter" to edit into a two hour "life story," and publically displayed at a ceremony (held 40 days after the funeral) called a "Rememory."  This film then becomes the property of the next of kin.

Williams' character, Alan Hakman (is that name allegorical?) is one of these 'cutters.'  He's also pretty much a loner, lacking in certain social skills, who was traumatized by events in his childhood.  The film is his story, and examines, painfully at times, the way he views himself.  We follow a few weeks of Hakman's life as he begins to suspect that his self view may not be entirely correct.  The film focuses on Hakman as a metaphor for our entire society; we may not be what we think we are, and we may value things that have no value.  We tend to overemphasize the visual, and can often see history rewritten if visual 'evidence' is presented.

In summary, I am very glad I rented this one.  To those of you who recommended it, your comments were right on the money.  This is an excellent film.

(Sorry so long, but this was, to me, much better than I anticipated - that does not happen too often).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 07:55:36 PM »

I'm quite happy to hear that you enjoyed The Final Cut.  I've coaxed quite a few people into watching it since I first saw it and they all love it.  It's a film that seems to cross genres quite easily and appease most viewers.  

What I loved about it was that it was SF in the vein of Asimov and Bradbury.  It's plausible SF and doesn't take too much suspension of disbelief.  The film looks like it takes place in our modern day and age but with just a few more technical advances.  

I'm very surprised to hear that it was the director's first film.  It's a great one to start off with, and I hope the guy brings more good films to the screen.  As for The Final Cut though, don't expect to talk to anyone you know about it.  It seems that very few people have seen it.  I got blank stares at Blockbuster when it was originally released and I couldn't find it.

Lions Gate really dropped the ball when they released this film.  It wasn't hyped, it was released in limited areas and gone from theaters in a month or so.  I don't know what their problem was with the film, but they made a huge mistake.  Even the DVD release leaves much to be desired.  The DVD cover even makes the film seem like a tense thriller.

Glad you enjoyed Ulthar.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Chopper
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2005, 09:09:58 AM »

thanks for the review ulthar, i was a little interested in this at first yet still hesitant for some reason. but being how you pointed out it's great direction, storyline and true adherance to sci-fi genre principles i'll have to definitely check it out. thanks.
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2005, 05:20:29 PM »

I always felt science fiction was a combination of allegory and the asking of the question, "What if... (fill in the blank)". Unfortunatly, small minds have the image of sci-fi being spaceships and the end of the world. Try to broaden your horizions...

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2005, 05:55:01 PM »

The Final Cut is the kind of story you don't see on film much anymore. Funny how nobody makes science fiction movies that aren't just action flicks with self-driving cars and holograms. It's a breath of fresh air.

Mind you, a lot of the fun has gone out of science fiction literature these days. I enjoy a deeply thoughtful and original view of the forseeable future as much as the next guy, but I try to read something like Analog or Asimov's - magazines that are giving the bright young writers of tomorrow their start - or a collection of the year's best, and I'm bored stiff. Some of these people have great imaginations, but they suck at storytelling.

Once in a while, I just want a good old-fashioned space opera or a time-travel story, with ray guns and robots and monsters, but written by somebody who knows what he's doing, makes the science believable and makes it fun. This is why I tend to read more of the masters of the genre than the newer writers who seem to pooh-pooh more traditional forms. In the old days, they could write some wildly imaginative and profound things, but also spin a good yarn, and inject some humour.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
dean

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 04:01:51 AM »

I'll have to check this out.  I love sci-fi films, whether they be zippy spaceships or just near future technology movies, action, suspense, whatever.  

That's also what attracted me to eternal sunshine: a sci-fi like concept set in a plausible way.

I wonder if I'll get the same blank stares if I ask when, if at all, it is due here.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Final Cut: Good Science Fiction « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.