Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:26:40 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Thought I'd just share a little something here with you . « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT: Thought I'd just share a little something here with you .  (Read 3174 times)
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« on: August 13, 2005, 10:36:57 PM »

Well I'm doing my damndest to make a movie here. While I dont conisder what I'm doing 'bad' its very 'B' and is pretty clever in my opinion.

Due to the lack of creativity and originality in horror I've stepped up to the plate and am doing my best to fill in this gaping hole. I love horror and probably picked up this love between age 13-and age 18.

It started with seeing Army of darkness at the theatre with my father and then as I got older it spawned through other horror films.

Evil dead 2, Evil dead,  Scream,  a friday the 13th film or two and lastly playing resident evil and resident evil 2 on the PS.

Interestingly enough what got me into film was back in late 2000 after learning who was directing the resident evil film and what he was going to do. I was furious it just had nothing to do with the games that had such a huge impact on my life.

So I after about 2 year sin college in early 2002 I made the choice to become a film student. and here I am 3 years later about a year away from graduating and I've pretty much figured out my own style of writing and ideas that appeal to me.

So after being forced to throw in the towel on production of this other project due to thing shappeneing I'm doing my damndest to make something this summer.

So here I am making a 'short script'(60-65 pages) and attempting to do a 90% green screen film (like sin city) and the basis of the film is to do what no other director has ever done.

Create authentic survival horror on the silver screen, the film itself is a homage to survival horror.

So my basic idea is very resident evil and silent hill. As the resident evil films suck and the silent hill film is following the trend of crappiness(storywise so far but I dunno)

The plot is simple:

A college girl heads home for spring break and hits some fog. She wake's up doesnt know where she is and finds out that shes all alone in a small rural town thats covered in fog and prepetual night(No its not Alaska).

There are some strange figures shifting in the fog that arent exactly kind. Without givign away too much on this I might as well say that this isnt a conventional story or main character, for starters shes mute.

No super human matrix bulls**t,  little comic releif and lots of action and stuff. its a survival film so theres lot so little things fopr me to play with.

I figure with all the bulls**t 'little known fact' threads that have been piling up like crap a different topic might be appriciated.

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2005, 11:04:26 PM »

Go to Barnes & Noble and get the book "Shot By Shot."

It's a big thick blue thing that'll teach you loads about camera techniques, etc...
I bought a copy and it ran me about $25.00

Post Edited (08-13-05 23:05)
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2005, 11:51:24 PM »

ha ha. naw I'm good Ash, been learning this stuff for 3 years now and have my own ideas and theories I'm looking at testing.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 12:19:10 AM »

Hmmm.

I think you're movie's gonna blow at the box office because it'll be too original.

Hollywood doesn't like that kind of thing.

The story does sound a wee bit like Silent Hill but what the hell ever. It's a neat idea that could be awesome with a good execution.

I wish you luck and I hope I can get a cameo.

(and don't be hard on those little know facts. I like them even though I was a little too sereious when I read the first one)

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2005, 01:53:15 AM »

Yeah the story does sound a little SIlent Hillish but I've worked around it so it  only sounds silent hillish. it goes off in its own direction from that point on ahd has lots of cute nods to RE and SH from here.

There are only 4 types of things here in the town of Grimwood that the main character is up against.

1: the watchers, there are 4 of them in this town. they look like people but thats about it. They sort of trudge around like zombies and are blind, however they have amazing hearing and can sort of sense if a person is around. If they think someone is around they whistle, the whistling is how they find people. if you listen to the whistling, it hurts. it hurts bad enough to make you want to scream.

2: the watcher master, gonna be more than just a stronger version of the watchers, still working on it.

3: the betrayer, the demon responisble for whats happened to the town.

4: Jamie,  a girl who also end sup in Grimwood and meets with the main character. In a situation like this, this is THE last person you'd want to have around.

I've got a good 85% of the story worked out in my head, still messing around with ideas.

But there are only 2 characters in the story. The main character and the other girl. it focuses more on the main character, what she does, how she survives and how she fights these things.

daveblackeye15

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2005, 02:00:12 AM »

(starts copying ideas and then gets to work on pattoning it)

dean

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2005, 04:57:11 AM »

I like some of the vague ideas you have kind of outlined to us [I guess you are holding your cards close to your chest and away from Daveblackeye, the cheating scum! :-p], particularly the idea about mute girl.  No surprise that it's a short script then!

I also appreciate somebody trying to do a proper survival horror movie.  I thought that if it was made on it's own and not being associated to the game, Resident Evil would have been a good film, but because of the fact that it was associated with Resident Evil, I was very dissapointed.  I didn't even realise there are plans for Silent Hill.  I'll have to check up on that later to see what I think as well.

Just a few questions, queries and thoughts, bearing in mind I am not doubting your talents by making some suggestions, or vocalising ideas, I just don't know any better, and I quite like the basic idea, so I'm kind of excited, and when I do I kind of run my mouth off.

Anyway, take on what you will and of course feel free to discount or ignore them completely,  [just let me know why so I don't feel too rejected!]

First of all, what is your planned running time: my concern is that if it's feature length, or at least longer than a standard short film [which is what I'm assuming] then I'd be worried about having somebody mute on screen for too long.  Whilst it's quite alright in a game situation, watching somebody not talking [or explaining] for a while could possibly be a bit frustrating.  

Perhaps the other character Jamie could pick up the slack by being one of those 'talk too much' girls, or maybe a few more non-scary characters [not too many of course!]

Secondly, how healthy is your budget?  Obviously this is going to be a concern when filming a movie with any kind of effects, so I was just wondering, especially since this seems to be a personal project.

I'm just curious since you'd know your limitations with budget more, being a film student, and I just would like to know about how much this sort of thing would cost, especially since I'm considering a short horror/zombie type film for my next project!  What sort of effects would you be planning, or what tricks will you use to get around this?

I like the basic idea of the watchers, but will they just merely look like people?  Whilst I understand that possible budget limitations will hold back making big huge monsters, I think they need to be seperated from normal people, and look surreal enough to get a proper scare.  Just having some normal joe say 'boo' isn't obviously going to cut it.

What are your ideas to how they look?  Perhaps go a Dark City look and have them wearing the same wierd costume, or since they are blind, make their eyes different somehow, like a deformity of some kind.

Also, on the topic of the Watchers, how will the whistling be done?  I'd recommend tweaking the sound of a normal whistle somewhat to try and make it a bit more freaky.  When I think of the watchers, I think mindless drones, almost like hunting dogs who do the bidding of that main demon guy [not sure if 'watcher master' is needed, perhaps just a different kind of watcher]

I'd say you'd more than likely need more than two main characters in the film, if not to provide meat for the watchers.  Perhaps just people your two main characters can bump into along the way, to help provide scares in some way or another; they don't need to necessarily be fleshed out largely.

Is there a twist ending?  I read a Silent Hill comic a while ago, after only playing the first five minutes of number 1 and 3, but knowing the vague storyline, and I liked the idea of this little girl being this evil little wench who gets up to no good.  I just thought of it then, and I'm not sure how this idea is since I'm in the middle of a rant and haven't really stopped to think, but perhaps that mute girl is the cause of everything somehow, and that Jaime girl, however deserving or not, is caught up in it all.  Or vice versa.  Perhaps accidental demonic enslaving of town.  Not too sure what you were planning with that betrayer character, so I'm just thinking 'out loud'

I'll probably have other ideas along the way popping into my head, but anyway, I hope I wasn't a complete waste of time, and that you let us in on how things go.  Being an [extremely] amatuer filmmaker, I'm always very interested in people's stories of what they go through when making a film, especially one in a genre I really enjoy.  If I did waste space, then sorry, but I've been filming all weekend on my own crappy short film and am in a ranty, creative mood, which is hard to stop!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2005, 05:19:36 PM »

While I know you're kidding Dave, if you actually do that I will hunt you down and beat you.

And dean a number of the ideas you've suggested are ones I've come up with as well. I wont get too into detail here as th enet is agreat way to have yoru ideas stolen if you arent careful but I've got enough here for a fun tale here as well as soem character development and stuggle.

Yes its only going to be a 2 character story. The focus of the story is on th emain character really and thats one of the things that make this  an experimental film.

Menard
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2005, 07:23:51 PM »

Dunners wrote:

> While I know you're kidding Dave, if you actually do that I
> will hunt you down and beat you.

Careful...he likes that. (:

daveblackeye15

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2005, 10:44:35 PM »

Sorry Dunners I already got a contract made with Hollywood.

But I made a few changes.

First I charged the main character to a man because Hollywood doesn't like it when both characters are the same sex. I was thinking of going with Tom Cruise or maybe with the pretty boy looking kind of guy.

Second I made the mute girl talkatvie and I was thinking of getting Rene Zellwenger to play her.

Third I got  John Travolta to be the villian, or the guy that was in charge of the watchers. ACtually I just changed the watchers to be just plain zombies and R.R. Killa is the head zombie played by Travolta. Oh and there's a twist he's a rapper zombie and each time he talks it's in rap (hence the name)

Fourth I added more to the cast. First I added an asian guy that knows kung fu and is a hacker, (killed first) then I added a black guy for comic relief, then I added a b***hy girl. And I'll add more people to be fodder.

Fifth: I think we need a wizard in this somewhere.

Sixth it's gotta be a happy ending with Zellenger and Travolta/Pretty Boy going off together because they're an automatic couple.

BUT THERE'S A TWIST!!!

It turns out the R.R. Killa is still alive! His dead body reawakans and roars out another rap that he'll be back! (for the sequal!)

And I'll add a s**t load of guns but I'm going to toned  down to a PG-13 rating so I can get all the teenagers and adults in on it. R rated stuff is OUT!

I hope you don't mind the changes ,Dunners.......

Post Edited (08-14-05 22:52)

daveblackeye15

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2005, 10:48:17 PM »

Oh yeah and a few more things.

It's gonna have a s**t load of rap music in it!

It's going to have lots of bullet time actions scenes because that is so cool!

And I know you'll love the director I have in mind. It's a tie between a MTV music video director or  Paul W.S. Anderson.

It's gonna kick ass and it'll rule the box office.

Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2005, 10:55:11 PM »

Oh dear god. Thats a horrible thought.

dean

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2005, 10:58:40 PM »

daveblackeye15 wrote:

> Oh yeah and a few more things.
>
> It's gonna have a s**t load of rap music in it!
>
> It's going to have lots of bullet time actions scenes because
> that is so cool!
>
> And I know you'll love the director I have in mind. It's a tie
> between a MTV music video director or  Paul W.S. Anderson.
>
> It's gonna kick ass and it'll rule the box office.
>

You know, I wouldn't be surprised if it did rule the box office, at least until people realised how 'interesting' it would be, what with the stupid crazy movies making money nowadays!

Also Dunners, I figured you'd be a bit hesitant to post any important things, but I'd still like to hear about planned budgets and how it will all work technically, and what your aim for it is [as in distribution and stuff]  Information like that would just help my thinking on this topic [of making films that is] and wouldn't hurt now would it?

Anyway, good luck and I hope it all goes well!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
daveblackeye15

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2005, 11:02:24 PM »

Who? Me?

Are you putting DOWN my HOLLYWOOD ideas!!!!???

dean

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2005, 11:15:02 PM »

daveblackeye15 wrote:

> Who? Me?
>
> Are you putting DOWN my HOLLYWOOD ideas!!!!???
>

No, of course we aren't.  You are truly a visionary who deserves to be put into the highest order of human beings.  Wait did I say human beings? You're not worthy of such a dirty association: you are more godlike than man!

Wait did I say man? you aren't exactly a man...

Now I'm getting myself confused in layers and layers of sarcasm and my brain is starting to throb, though that could be from the 600ml of coke I just downed...

You know dave, the funny thing is that your hollywood tale is still pretty interesting, despite it being a slave to the hollywood formula, and the cast of course [ew Renee and Johnny!!]

I mean, rapping zombies?  I can't really find it in my heart to ever say no to that sort of movie, even if it was complete crap.

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Thought I'd just share a little something here with you . « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.