Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:15:29 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  focus on the familys review of deuce bigelow2 « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: focus on the familys review of deuce bigelow2  (Read 7107 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2005, 01:03:57 PM »

it's a ridiculous "review".    is some parent going to read 5 paragraphs before they say "oh wait THAT is objectionable"?  either it's appropriate for children or it isn't.  It's like trying every hooker in a whorehouse to find out if prostitution is morally wrong

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2005, 01:14:15 PM »

lester1/2jr wrote:

> it's a ridiculous "review".    is some parent going to read 5
> paragraphs before they say "oh wait THAT is objectionable"?
> either it's appropriate for children or it isn't.  It's like
> trying every hooker in a whorehouse to find out if prostitution
> is morally wrong

I admit it's a ridiculous review. It's poorly structured, and recounts to many of the gags in a too-serious light. I'm not defending the review itself, only objecting to the presentation of the criticism of the review. Ridicule the review all you want. Ridicule the reviewer all you want. Just don't let the criticism grow into stereotypes of all Christians as a couple of people here did. Maybe I overreacted; it just wears on me that the only two groups it's still okay to ridicule are white men and Christians, and I happen to be both.

Oof. And now I made myself a liar; I posted on this topic again. Apologies.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2005, 02:40:46 PM »

I think the political correctness is coming from your side of the aisle these days.  Criticizing Israel is as taboo as saying the n word ever was.  seriously what's with all these "outrage" these days on right wing radio?  it's like some kind of pagan religious ceremony.

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2005, 03:42:36 PM »

I guess it must be one of those perspective things; I don't listen to "right-wing" radio, so I have no idea what's being said. It seems like anything that is said is considered inflammatory if I (the listener, no matter what side of the political fence I may be on) disagree with it. I personally hear a lot about "hate speech" coming from conservatives, but it usually (note: usually) has less to do with hate or love and more to do with stating a relatively benign opinion. I know I may have overreacted in my post, but I haven't been genuinely "outraged" by anything in a very long time, but I do see a lot of it from both sides of the so-called culture war.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2005, 12:23:46 PM »

Just Plain Horse's NOTE: THIS FILM IS COMPLETELY UNFIT FOR ANYONE STILL ALIVE. IT SHOULD BE CAST INTO A DARK PIT AND SOAKED IN GASOLINE BEFORE BEING REBUKED BY A PRIEST AND THEN SET AFIRE. THE ASHES SHOULD BE COVERED BY ANIMAL DUNG- OR THE CORPSE OF ROB SCHNEIDER, IF AVAILABLE, AND BURIED. NO ONE WITH A SHRED OF TASTE SHOULD EVER VIEW ANY FILM WITH ROB SCHNEIDER IN IT. EVER. IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DONE SO, SEEK INTENSIVE THERAPY. IF YOU STILL WATCH SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE, BE WARNED; EACH INDIVIDUAL ON THIS PROGRAM HAS HOLLYWOOD AMBITIONS TO MAKE THEIR OWN COMPLETELY POINTLESS AND DOWNRIGHT HORRENDOUSLY BAD FILM. VIEW AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Ozzymandias
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2005, 11:54:29 AM »

This is a pet peave of mine. I went to the local newspaper and offered my services as a movie critic. I pointed out that I studied film in college. They said they would call me back for another interview.

Well, the second interview involved the "community focus group." These people wear almost all over 50 except for a fat fundie woman and a Klansman (!). All of them hate Hollywood and the entertaiment industry. They only wanted reviews if they were like the Focus on the Family reviews or some other Christian website where they "give a count of the cuss words." One of the members is a Klansman and you don't want to know what that loser had to say.

Then this managment guy from the newspaper said "It is actually cheeper for us to run the SAME REVIEW THAT APPEARS IN USA TODAY." The paper is owned by Gannett.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2005, 03:45:40 PM »

What an idiot. It's never to your advantage to run the exact same copy that appears in another publication readily available in your market. Might as well not run it at all.

Of course, Hollywood movie reviews are not that high priority for a local paper, because they are so readily available everywhere else. Still, the paper I run (been the editor for about three months now) runs one about every two weeks. But, it is written by a local guy, who is both a strong writer and a film buff. He does, of course, work for peanuts, because the movie reviews are lower priority than local theatre and arts, which are generally covered by our staff writers.

Mind you, your local paper must be pretty big if they bother with focus groups. I work for a big company, but my paper is relatively small. Thankfully,  I don't have to put potential writers in front of focus groups. I like to please my readers, but I'd rather make decisions without involving a bunch of people who don't know what the hell they're talking about.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  focus on the familys review of deuce bigelow2 « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.