Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 10:26:24 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Call me Dad « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Call me Dad  (Read 2648 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 28, 2005, 01:21:10 PM »

Well, I now have a daughter. Rowan Margaret was born at 1:35 this morning, after about a nine-hour induced labour. Three weeks early and over eight pounds.  Labour was scary at first, because once that oxytocin drip starts working, everything builds up in a hurry. All those breathing exercises we practiced just kind of went out the window. We are now big fans of the epidural. After that, it was a pleasant evening of talking and waiting. Only my mother-in-law seemed to have a problem with the lack of intense pain (cheating, by her reckoning). I have to admit, watching the delivery itself was one of the most surreal experiences I've had, and one of the most intense. And then came the reality of being a father. Funny, for somebody who never really got excited about other people's babies, I found myself holding her, rocking her and singing to her at the very first opportunity. Still can't wipe the grin off my face.

Just came home from the hospital to take a shower and check on the dogs. Running on a couple of hours of sleep, but feeling great. Mom is doing fine as well. We've had the deluge of phone calls, and now we're bracing ourselves for the flood of visitors.

Post Edited (08-28-05 13:27)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
daveblackeye15
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2005, 01:23:18 PM »

Congradulations!

Raise her to add to our ranks!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2005, 01:27:15 PM »

Congrats!

Post Edited (08-28-05 13:43)
Flangepart

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2005, 01:27:20 PM »

Aw, don't think of them as "Visitors"...think of them as "Potential babysitters.!"

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2005, 01:27:48 PM »

And a big girl at that.  I just hope that she gets your friendly disposition.  That is one of the funny things about AndyC, he is a fairly sized fellow, but polite and easy going.  At least from the limited time we spoke - though that seems to show through on the bbs too.

Now, just wait and see how life changes.  Changing diapers at 0200,  feeding her rice cereal and her grabbing the spoon, giving her a bath every night and coming out soaking wet from the splashing.  Oh, and worrying all the time, because she is a daredevil who does not understand how gravity works.

Katie needed an epidural with Jenna, because that took about 14 hours or so.  Andy, he was out in 45 minutes - she did not even get into a delivery room.  Katie actually says that having him fast and without the epidural was great.  She felt good enough to be up and around in a few hours.

I had a hard time appreciating children until my own came along too.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Dunners
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2005, 02:23:20 PM »

Congrats...hey dad? Can I borrow the car?:)

save the world, kill a politician or two.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2005, 02:55:43 PM »

Congradulations AndyC..........it will be a few years before you'll be able to enjoy and uninterupted film, but that's ok. : )

Remembering my daughter being born in 1988 and I remember being exhausted after the whole event. After hours getting my hairpulled and being in the delivery room to witness and help with the birth of my daughter I drove home alone to get some rest. Your fortunate to have all those visitors and potential help. Again congradulations and may she be all that you imagine and more. She will always be a part of you.

ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2005, 04:01:21 PM »

Congrats!!  The fun is only beginning (and I mean that sincerely, not sarcastically).  But...get used to those 2-hour sleep nights for while.  Hehe.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Menard
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2005, 04:13:00 PM »

A world of congrats to you and your wife Andy.

I do not have any children myself, but have a world of respect for parents raising children.

I agree with that part about looking at the visitors as potential babysitters, and don't forget to work in the word 'gift'.

Keep us updated.

Me as a baby Menard

Neville

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2005, 05:26:50 PM »

Hehe, hope you two have enough sleep now. Congratulations!

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2005, 06:40:49 PM »

Congrats Pops !  When our first was born my wife's water broke and we were in the hospital all night.  He was born about 8:20am on Easter morning. When I finally went home that day I stopped by the church to tell them the news and then went home and crawled in bed fully clothed and passed out. The next two or three days I was a virtual zombie.

And the part about no sleep for a few years, well, make that about twenty.  They eventually morph into these strange creatures called teenagers.  Funny thing is I have one that is now living in another  with his first job after college and the other is going to school in another country and I still catch myself looking into their rooms before I turn in at night.

I sincerely hope yours will bring you guys as much joy and pride as ours have to my wife and I.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
dean

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2005, 08:51:21 PM »

Congratulations!!  Sure, you'll have some sleepless nights and worry about them even when they've moved out of home, but you wouldn't have it any other way would you!

So enjoy the precious moments, even the ones when you wish you could just pass out from exhaustion, for it'll be no time before they are old enough to look after themselves.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2005, 09:13:47 PM »

Thanks everybody. Big changes ahead, for sure, and big responsibilities. It seems like there are nine months to prepare mentally, but I think it really only sinks in once the thrill of the birth is past and the time to leave the hospital is approaching.

This morning, I looked out the hospital window at a city that seems so small and familiar to me, and has for years. What I would simply consider my back yard easily extends for 50 miles or more, and holds at least half a million people, urban and rural. Then I looked at Rowan, who hasn't seen or done anything outside of one protected room where she had resided for just a few hours. That put it into perspective.

I've been going through the whole pregnancy pretty much thinking that I would stop worrying if we could just conceive, then I would stop worrying if we could see a heartbeat at the first ultrasound, then it was finishing the first trimester, then passing 24 weeks, and finally, I would stop worrying with a healthy, successful birth. After sitting and watching my daughter sleep in my arms, I've finally figured out that I'm never going to stop worrying.

Well, I'm home to sleep while my wife spends one more night in the hospital. One good night's sleep that I am going to savour. Then it really begins.

Post Edited (08-28-05 21:19)

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2005, 09:24:53 PM »

I might be late to post but congrats

-------------------------------------------------
Most of all I hate dancing then work, exercise, people,stupid people

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005, 12:38:03 AM »

Congrats.  =)

My daughter is 3 1/2 now, and the fun just changes, it doesn't diminish.   Of course, by two or so she had the art of backtalk mastered.  :)  But it's just normal independence, right?

The most important thing in the next few months is that if your wife is breastfeeding Rowan, your wife must get all the sleep possible.  Especially if you aren't using bottles at all.  Wife Must Sleep.  Just remember that.  :)  And the rest goes a lot better.

Hooray!

- Seth
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Call me Dad « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.