Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:33:14 PM
714450 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Supernova (2005) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supernova (2005)  (Read 1560 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 06, 2005, 09:55:33 AM »

Not to be confused with the ill fated James Spader space movie.

It's apparently sometime in the future and astrophysicist Peter Fonda has discovered that our sun is a lot older than we thought and within a couple of weeks we're going to be toast. So, he does what any responsible scientist does and runs off to a tropical paradise to spend his last days drinking wine and eating exotic food cooke up by a hottie in a bikini.

This thing is a mess. To make it last three hours they threw in everything but the kitchen sink:

There's a government conspiracy to cover up the earth's impending doom. Lance Henriksen is the chief of a government plan to resurrect life on earth after a catastrophe.

We get to see a lot of famous landmarks turned to ash and rubble. One scene would have been cool if the CG were better, the Sahara desert gets turned into a giant glass sculpture.

The main character (Luke Perry) gets to run around with Tia Carrera for most of the thing. She is a government agent gone AWOL trying to get back to her family.

There's a whole subplot about Perry's wife being the witness that got a serial killer put away.  Of course during all the mayhem he gets away and comes looking for her.

You also get to see many sun eruptions and lots of other badly rendered CG effects. .

The ending is stupid, stupid, stupid.  

Actually it was more ho-hum, than being downright terrible.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 10:20:27 AM »

I've never heard of this one Trek.

Was it on Sci-Fi?
What studio released it?

Speaking of the Spader film, I still have yet to see that one.  I heard how bad it was and avoided it.
What's it about?  Is it really that bad?
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 10:38:34 AM »

Not to stray off the main film but I checked out the trailers for the Spader Supernova version HERE

That movie looks badass!
What's wrong with it?  
(don't spoil it for me)
I didn't read anything else about it on that site...I prefer to know as little as possible about it before I see it.

I know what I'm renting tonight.

And I also saw that the Supernova version you're talking about was a miniseries.
What channel was it on?

Post Edited (09-06-05 10:40)
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 10:54:39 AM »

Hey the one I reviewed here was on the Hallmark Channel. I know they will be showing it again.

The other movie stars James Spader, Angela Bassett, Robert Forster, Lou Diamond Phillips, and Robin Tunney. It's about an ambulance in space.

I didn't think it was that bad, but it's one of those movies that sat around unfinished and had about three different directors. Walter Hill wanted to do some reshoots and more scenes, but the studio got Francis Ford Coppola to cut together what got released. There is a scene where Spader and Bassett are going at it weightless that were actually reused footage of Tunney and Phillips, they just CG'd them in to it.  Robert Forster doesn't get near enough screen time.

The one thing about it that hits you funny is seeing Spader all buff and tough talking in it.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Mr. Hockstatter
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2005, 12:31:03 PM »

That other Supernova movie suffered from unlikable characters.  There was a good bit of time spent at the beginning introducing us to them and seeing them build relationships together, and the longer it went on the more I disliked them.  The ending was just awful as well.  The middle part wasn't bad, it had a good premise.  But the writers didn't seem to have a clue what to do with it.   It actually could have been improved by chopping off the first and least 10 minutes.

That Hallmark Supernove movie, I dunno.  Dylan from 90210 was the star?  Did he play Dylan from 90210 just like he does in ever other thing I've ever seen him in?  I watched the first 5 minutes of it.  Then I think I put in Nightmare on Elm Street.

Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2005, 12:31:44 PM »

Ahh, Tia Carrera... someone who still can't get onto The Actor's Studio with James Lipton.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Supernova (2005) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.