Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:38:46 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bowery at Midnight (1942) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bowery at Midnight (1942)  (Read 1068 times)
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« on: September 07, 2005, 08:45:15 PM »

Bela Lugosi stars as a psychology professor who moonlights by running a soup kitchen at night. This seemingly charitible endeavor is actually a front for his criminal activities.

He recruits criminals and then has one knock the other off after the crime is done. His victims get buried in the basement of the soup kitchen he runs, where unbeknownst to him, his disgruntled assistant Doc has been zombiefying the corpses. Bela gets his in the end.

All in all it's pretty pedestrian, but the plot is really packed for film that only lasts 62 minute.

It was worth the $1 I paid for it.  The film was kind of crackly in some parts, but hey you get what you pay for.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2005, 10:45:29 PM »

I'm going to try to find the $1 DVD of BOWERY AT MIDNIGHT. They also said good things about it at imdb.com. Trying to see all of Bela Lugosi's material.

trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 06:44:32 AM »

I have another one that is called The Brooklyn Gorilla I haven't watched yet. I haven't watched it yet, but my brother lent me The Phantom Creeps, a movie serial with Lugosi as a mad scientist type.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 10:15:10 AM »

The whole THE PHANTOM CREEPS serial is very good and I believe you'll enjoy it, but BELA LUGOSI MEETS THE BROOKLYN GORILLA is not a good Lugosi film.

These are the 22 films that I've seen of Bela Lugosi:

Plan 9 From Outer Space
Bride of the Monster
Glen or Glenda
Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla
Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
The Ape Man
Frankenstein Meets the Werewolf
The Corpse Vanishes
The Ghost of Frankenstein
The Wolf Man
Spooks on the Run (East Side Kids)
The Invisible Ghost
The Devil Bat
The Human Monster (a.k.a. The Dark Eyes of London)
The Gorilla
Son of Frankenstein
The Phantom Creeps (serials)
The Raven
The Phantom Ship (a.k.a. The Mystery of the Marie Celeste)
Island of Lost Souls
White Zombie
Dracula

Would like to see The Black Cat (both), Chandu, S.O.S., The Invisible Ray, and Murder by Television some day.

peter johnson

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 10:36:34 PM »

Murder by Television is actually pretty good, for Poverty Row B-material.  Lugosi comports himself very well & comes off as quite scary.
He and Karloff make a very good team in The Black Cat -- the scene where he threatens to flay Karloff has real tension.
I think he's in The Body Snatchers (Val Lewton) along with Karloff again as well --
Do catch him in a comedy role, along with W.C. Fields in "International House" -- a terrificly surreal and very funny comedy from 1933 -- trust me on this:  You'll laugh your arse off, and quite a surprise seeing Lugosi in a comedic part.
peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bowery at Midnight (1942) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.