Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:27:02 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The N Word & Other Curse Words On TV « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The N Word & Other Curse Words On TV  (Read 2239 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2005, 09:50:09 AM »

And a very good point it is. I agree completely, honky.

Post Edited (09-19-05 09:56)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »

As someone else pointed out, this is probably one of the most complicated "issues" in contemporary American society.  I'd willingly wager there are a quite a few sociology theses written on this topic each year.

For my part, I think part of it is 'empowerment.'  I think the "you can't use that term but I can" mentality is a means to have a sense of control in a social system in which one feels he has no control.  There might also be a bit of counterculture element to it: I'll do something that I KNOW flies in the face of 'acceptable society' to emphasize I don't accept this society's rules.

For that matter, one can likewise argue that the use of an epiteth or slur in general is a power play.  Whites who use the term "n****r" generally are using it within an air of superiority and/or condescension.  The use of such language, by either group (white or black), is certainly emotionally charged and designed to be so.  I think it is no different than calling a female a "b***h" (or other) ... you don't usually use terms like that to people that you are trying to become endeared.  (I know that some black folks will use 'the n-word' pseudo affectionately to each other, but I think it is still partly based in causing a rise out of whites that they do this).

I've got to say, though, I find it interesting and a bit troubling that within the context of a serious discussion, people use phrases like "the N-Word" rather than the word "n****r" itself.  Again, as someone pointed out above, the word itself has no power; the context does.  But we've somehow elevated this particular word to 'superword' status (a meme perhaps?) so that its very utterance will bring forth the rath of all fire and destruction.  That's hardly the environment for intelligent discussion, mutual understanding and respect needed to understand the basis for such language and eliminate the hatreds that fuel it.

Finally, as for its use on TV; I try to avoid such shows anyway.  I certainly don't want my children picking up that kind of language (n-words, f-words, s-words, etc, etc).

My $0.02, take it or leave it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2005, 10:03:10 AM »

Amen, whitey. Ain't nothin' but a whitebread thang. *hand slap*

Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The N Word & Other Curse Words On TV « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.