Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:11:02 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plethora of reviews! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Plethora of reviews!  (Read 1358 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: October 09, 2005, 03:18:02 PM »

Finally got around to signing up for Netflix recently.  I've been watching flicks like crazy since!

Stewie Griffin: The Untold Story - I've been a huge fan of Family Guy ever since the show first aired.  I've been looking forward to Mcfarland's direct to DVD feature for a while now and was jumping with joy when the DVD arrived.  Overall, I wasn't too impressed with the film.  It's like watching an hour and a half Family Guy episode, which sadly wears thin after a while.  It's worth a rental for fans of the show, but nothing worth picking up on DVD.

7/10

Ong-Bak - Really really really really enjoyed this flick.  I had heard that this film was great and had heard about Tony Jaa's fantastic fighting style but I had little other idea about the film.  I had the impression that it was set in the early 1900s for some reason but that was completely wrong.  The story is about Ting, a young Thai man who leaves for Bangkok after someone steals the head of his local religious statue.  While there, he gets pulled into underground fighting matches.  This film blew me away, 100%.  Tony Jaa isn't the second coming of Bruce Lee but damn...he's good.  Watching the guy do his thing is absolutely amazing and entertaining as hell.  

9/10

The Devils Rejects - Missed this one at the theater during it's release, but got my chance to see it when I obtained a screener DVD.  Overall, I was quite impressed.  It's much better than House Of 1000 Corpses, which I felt was so-so.  Here, the Firefly family is on the run from the police after a raid led by the local sherrif (William Forsythe!).  It's a dark film, quite sick at times but well worth a watch.  The main problem I had with the film is that they didn't bring back Karen Black at Mother Firefly here.  Sid Haig still kicks all mighty ass as Captain Spaulding!

8/10

Monster In Law - This is one that I was forced to watch by my wife.  Overall, it's a big disappointment.  Not even the hotness that is Jennifer Lopez could save this one for me.  It's pretty sad that Jane Fonda picked this film to bring her career back.  Not even worth a rental.

1/10

Shaolin Soccer - First, I want to say that I'm a HUGE fan of Stephen Chow's Kung Fu Hustle.  I had always heard good things about Shaolin Soccer, but had never tracked it down.  This film is fun as hell.  An absolute blast from beginning to end.  I can't possibly describe how much fun this film was for me.  Every moment, I had a huge grin on my face.  It's hilarious, action packed, and is a perfect comedy in my opinion.  I will certainly be picking this flick up as soon as possible.  I highly recommend this flick!!!!

10/10

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2005, 08:58:20 PM »

Total agreement about Shaolin Soccer.  It is such a wonderful parody of two genres...
dean

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2005, 10:59:50 PM »

Been meaning to rent Shaolin Soccer, but never get the chance to get around to it.

The Family Guy movie was just a few episodes tacked together really, with lots more rudeness.  It was good, but I'm enjoying season 4 a whole lot more.

A great reaction to the movie was my brother: I was watching the Family Guy movie and my brother walked past, thinking it was a normal episode, but then people started swearing and he just looked at me with his mouth open, seeming to say 'they can't say that on TV!!' [it was midday at the time.]  He then sat down and started watching it with me, everynow and then looking at me to say 'that's really nasty'.  He seemed to enjoy it lots I guess!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 03:27:15 AM »

Glad you finally got Netflix Skaboi. I saw Devils Rejects in thearter and enjoyed in alot more than 1000 corpes.

-------------------------------------------------
Most of all I hate dancing then work, exercise, people,stupid people

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 07:05:25 AM »

Dean,

The movie didn't seem that much more crude to me than any other episode of Family Guy.  There were f-bombs here and there but for some reason were blurted out, eventhough it was an unrated disc.

I had read that it was three episodes tacked together, which is probably why it just didn't feel right to me.  It's not bad so much as it's just too much of the "same".

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2005, 05:27:23 PM »

Just finished watching SHAOLIN SOCCER.  That movie is hilarious.  I'm taking a short break and then it's time for KUNG-FU HUSTLE.

I wasn't sure which version to pick, the American or the Chinese, so I went with Chinese.  After the movie I went and looked at some of the American version and man did I make the right choice.  Note to filmmakers: The addition of the song "Kung-Fu Fighting" improves nothing.

I wish they would have taken a bit more care with the subtitling.  Here and there it just stops, leaving me translationless.  This was evident in the "dance" scene, and none of the outtakes at the end were subtitled.  This made them rather pointless since most of the outtakes were flubbed lines.

If I had three wishes, one of them would be that I could read and speak every single language.

Post Edited (10-29-05 17:29)

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Mr_Vindictive

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 05:53:21 PM »

Mofo,

Damn right man.  Glad you enjoyed.  Eventhough I loved Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer was an absolute surprise.

The dance scene is by far my favorite of the film.  Watching the kid start singing then the older guy rip off his shirt and doing that stupid little dance....it's pure joy.  I have also seen the American release, and it's terrible that they would cut out such things.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it Mofo.  If you haven't seen Kung Fu Hustle before, then you are in for another amazing surprise.

Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2005, 08:26:35 PM »

Sounds like it's time to get out my two for one Blockbuster coupons and rent SHAOLIN SOCCER and THE DEVILS REJECTS. Really enjoyed KUNG FU HUSTLE and was dissappointed with HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES.

I might check out ONG-BAK..

Post Edited (10-29-05 20:33)

dean

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 03:37:38 AM »

I also just borrowed a copy of Shaolin Soccer.  Great film!

The DVD had both Chinese and American versions.  I watched the Chinese and briefly skipped through the American [though the only difference I noticed was the Kung Fu Fighting song at the end, what else was different?]

It was a fantastic and fun film, with my only gripe also the subtitles for everynow and then.

I particularly enjoyed the enthusiasm given to the song at the bar.  Great reactions from the crowd! :-P

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 12:49:35 PM »

"I practice Iron Skin every day!"

Gotta love the makeover the girl gets as well.
dean

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 09:37:58 PM »

Shadowphile wrote:

> "I practice Iron Skin every day!"
>
>
>
> Gotta love the makeover the girl gets as well.

The makeover is great, especially how much fun everyone makes of her.  But the subtitles that mine said its Iron Head not Iron Skin, Iron Head seems to make more sense.  

That aside, its still damn funny to see someone get clocked over the head with a bottle, especially the club patrons when bashing the two of them up and getting their 'names' mixed up.  Lot's of fun!

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Plethora of reviews! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.