Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:42:19 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exceptionally Bad Phrases « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: OT: Exceptionally Bad Phrases  (Read 5466 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: October 31, 2005, 03:33:26 PM »

Are there certain phrases you hear people say that just irritate the hell out of you?
Phrases so bad, you wish they could be un-invented?

I absolutely despise the phrase, "Step up to the plate."  As in, "You need to step up to the plate and take responsibility."

I think anyone who uses the phrase, "Raise the bar" should have to stand in the corner for an hour.

But worst of all...the phrase that should be abolished forever is, "Think outside the box."  
AARRRGH!!!!

What other bad phrases can you think of?

Post Edited (11-01-05 01:28)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2005, 04:02:19 PM »

None, especially not any of those.

Good grief, life is too short to get upset over people using idiomatic catch phrases, especialy when they are used to convey an intention that would otherside take much more explanation

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2005, 06:18:18 PM »

Dude,
Why don't you tells us how you REALLY feel.

Ok, My soul was just blackened that little bit by writing this.  those TV quips drive me nuts,
 Here are my not-so phrases...

My company is a big one for slogan that are totally meaningless.   For a cost-cutting plan they instituted Project Bullet Train.  They are always trying to have catchy yet meaningless slogan-y names for stuff.  

Also I HATE i-anything.  It was OK for iPod and iMac... but its just getting stupid nowadays.  

-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2005, 06:33:18 PM »

"Good grief, life is too short to get upset over people using idiomatic catch phrases, especialy when they are used to convey an intention that would otherside take much more explanatio"

People (well, myself anyway) don't get that mad.  Some of us just like to feign extreme anger over minor annoyances.  

That said, it irks me a bit when people say "I got bit by a bee" or "That snake stung me".
dean

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2005, 01:02:29 AM »

Jim H wrote:

> That said, it irks me a bit when people say "I got bit by a
> bee" or "That snake stung me".

Yeah, those people suck, but then again, depending on the snake 'sting' they might not be around for too much longer, so the problem usually solves itself I guess...

My girlfriend is always getting frustrated at silly things I say, so I guess I'm the annoying one, but something that always makes me laugh is when people come into my work, buy some stuff and I say 'have a good day' or 'see ya later' or what have you, and they look at me and just say 'no thanks I don't need one' assuming that I asked whether they wanted a bag for their goods!  It's just so silly...

That being said, I haven't really come across people saying stuff like 'Think outside of the box' in a serious tone before: anyone would just make too much fun of them for it!

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2005, 01:57:11 AM »

Although I haven't heard it in a while, "WAZZUP!" tends to bug me. My usual reply is "Your Time" (although, most people tell me that my favorite phrase is "What?").

But it really bugs me when one of these WAZZUP! Guy wannabes tries to employ the same verbal technique when pronouncing my name.

'Sup wid 'at?

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2005, 02:15:24 AM »

Yes, "Wazzup" is very annoying.  But I feel I must interject and say that when you're drunk it is very fun to say.  Of course, I wouldn't try it outside of a group of other very drunk people.

I'm a bit confused about taking the same tact with your name though.  I'm guessing your name is, I don't know, Philip?  Billy Crudup?  Suzup?  (I kid, I kid.)

Anyway, I would say that if you are using any advertising slogan as a punchline, you're probably not that funny.  But once again I must confess to having used that "I've got good news, though, I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance" as a joke.  In my defense, it was in relation to horrifically bad situations, which if I told you what they were you would find out I am much more callous than I let on.

I think the worst phrases are lame comedic punchlines.  A few years ago it was quoting Austin Powers.  Today, I would say that you should safely be able to punch anybody in the face who uses the phrase "Git-R-Done".  How's that for a punchline?

NAPOLEON DYNAMITE lines are fast losing any semblance of acceptable socialization.

I guess it all boils down to an observation I made several years ago: "You know what the great thing about quoting movies and television is?  You never have to think of you're own thoughts!"

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2005, 03:09:11 AM »

Mofo Rising wrote:

> Yes, "Wazzup" is very annoying.  But I feel I must interject
> and say that when you're drunk it is very fun to say.  Of
> course, I wouldn't try it outside of a group of other very
> drunk people.
>
'Lost my taste for it a while back, so maybe that's the problem. Still, these were forklift drivers on the clock. Eh, maybe that's why my old boss was always making ME do everything. (grumble, grumble)

> I'm a bit confused about taking the same tact with your name
> though.  I'm guessing your name is, I don't know, Philip?
> Billy Crudup?  Suzup?  (I kid, I kid.)
>
Well, I usually answer to the single syllable version of my first name, which has an "L" at the end, which for some reason makes it rather easy for someone to spend 25 or 30 seconds identifying me by a single syllable with their tongue hanging out as far as it'll go.

"I tell ya', life aint easy for a boy named Sue" - Johnny Cash

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
odinn7

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 08:00:09 AM »

GAH!!!! There are so many things that bother me but at the moment, the only one I can think of is: Can you hear me now?
There's assclowns that run around here where I work and they say it like as if it's the most witty thing in the world. Well, considering the intelligence level of the people in this building, perhaps it is to them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 09:54:49 AM »

I have emotional trauma anytime I overhear a wild "git-r-done." It just reminds me like a bludgeon what part of the country I live in. Stupid southerners.

Napoleon Dynamite quotes are still viable. A tactfully drawn out "idiot" still hits its mark. However, there was a time between its release and today when everyone was doing it. And no matter the situation, you still got a dirty look. Most overdone was the whole "Vote For Pedro" campaign on EVERYBODY'S crap. Even girls were proudly wearing it on the sides of their purses. While its cool that one movie can pervade and entire generation, it's tiresome to come across it everywhere.
     What's funny abou that movie is that even my professors and my professor's friends find it hilarious. Guys and girls in the 30's and 40's are walking around exclaiming "idiot" or "GOSH." The movie was a phenomenal success any way you look at it.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 10:38:56 AM »

Like, you know the people who like, use the word like, like, every time they, like, say something. Like, it's really irritating, like, you know?

You know, that phrase you know, is like, you know , really irritating too, you know.

Oh yeah, I'm one of those stupid southerners, and I have noticed that every region in this country has their own unique version of the ignorant redneck.  Usually they're  morons who make blanket statements about entire regions or groups of people.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2005, 11:52:53 AM »

odinn7 wrote:

> GAH!!!! There are so many things that bother me but at the
> moment, the only one I can think of is: Can you hear me now?
> There's assclowns that run around here where I work and they
> say it like as if it's the most witty thing in the world. Well,
> considering the intelligence level of the people in this
> building, perhaps it is to them.
>

Yeah, well, the geniuses around here have modified "Can you hear me now?" to "Can you smell me now?" There's wackiness aplenty in these parts, let me tell you.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2005, 02:55:53 PM »

Trek Geezer wrote:

"Oh yeah, I'm one of those stupid southerners, and I have noticed that every region in this country has their own unique version of the ignorant redneck. Usually they're morons who make blanket statements about entire regions or groups of people."

>
>
>

Ouch. Sorry to offend. I'm just getting tired of coherent statements and expressions being reduced to catch phrase sputterings. Maybe if "git-r-done" had a logical place in dialogue I wouldn't be complaining, but I think even "think outside the box" has been accurately quoted. I've only heard "git-r-done" used for a quick laugh or to show one has an understanding of redneck popular culture. The problem I have with the phrase and its usage is that when it's said, it means nothing. The statement is empty and the people who say it don't mean anything by it. What is "git-r-done" anyways; just another way to say 'let's do it.' It doesn't have the same implications as say, "think outside the box" which means to break the conventions of thought and to attempt an untried method of accomplishing a task. Gitting-r-done doesn't even hit the same level as "keep on trucking" which suggests persistence in life, or "walking the line" which implies being in  a dangerous position. It's utter baseness is revolting as a serious suggestion, because weren't we going to "git-r-done" anyways, whether you made the suggestion or not?

Sorry if I might have offended you, Trek, or anyone else in the south. I simply find the usage of the phrase to be exclusively southern.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2005, 03:05:52 PM »

No offense really taken, just couldn't resist firing back.

I'm trying to recall where that phrase came from (gt'r done). Sounds like a Foxworthy phrase.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Squeakmiester 3000
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2005, 03:35:56 PM »

"Turn that frown upside down!"

Look, it's not like I'm some whiny emo kid. Hell, I don't even get sad (what most people find depressing I just find funny. actually, when I make jokes is often when I hear this, making it even more annoying). Still, that phrase bugs the hell out of me, mostly due to the fact that it rhymes. I HATE rhyming. Yes, all of it. And yes, that does mean I hate almost all poetry. I'm sorry, but poetry is just a stupid form of "art". It's basically someone admitting that they don't have the intelligence to come up with a good story or idea to cover the length of even a short story.

Two bit penny hacks. Need to read a novel and learn what literature is. Rhyming isn't, and never has been clever. Same goes for puns.

Christ, i've probablly offended a bunch of people. Sorry about that. It's just that my dad was a poet, so i heard ALOT of poetry, and am very sick of it.

Post Edited (11-01-05 14:48)
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: Exceptionally Bad Phrases « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.