Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:17:53 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A question for everyone « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: A question for everyone  (Read 7363 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: November 20, 2005, 09:35:26 PM »

Hi all.  Sorry about being so scarce lately.  I seem to be having very little time for non-work pursuits, which has been limiting what I do on the site.  Most of all, I have been using much of the time I would usually be here with maintenance on the server.  Been seeing some stupid dictionary-spamming attacks, which fill up the var directory and crash services - like the bbs.  It has been eating into my Badmovies.org time.

I also am looking to move the site to a new hosting service, probably in December.  This is partially due to the problems, also the cost of the current provider.  Looking for something sustainable, no matter what.

That being said, with the change I have been looking at message boards.  Does everyone like Phorum?  It is very basic, which is not a terrible thing, but I have also been looking at other systems .  One possibility is vbulletin, which is probably the favorite one I have seen.  However, it costs.  I am not against purchasing the software, if everyone would really like it.

VBulletin:
http://www.vbulletin.com
A site that uses it:
http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/index.php

Phorum:
http://phorum.org/phorum5/list.php?12

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
dean

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2005, 09:50:44 PM »

Hey Andrew, good to see you've been about.

Personally I prefer Phorum because of it's simplicity and it just seems more personal.  Though I'm open to new things, I just can't help feeling that the board won't be the same if we change it [I'm afraid of change, so terribly afraid... :-P]

I just don't see the point in having things like 'rep points' for example, and I really don't care about how many posts somebody has: that just seems a little intimidating to people who don't post as often.  Pictures and locations are cool and all that, but, hey, we have frapper now, and anyway we can just ask and talk about it.

The way I see it is that if it ain't broke don't fix it, but hey, that's just my opinion, I'm open to change, but I'll just miss the ol' black and green...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2005, 09:51:20 PM »

Well, if you like it then it's alright with me.  The Straight Dope Message Board uses it, which is the only other message board I regularly read (but don't use because it costs money).

I don't really care which one you use.   What keeps me coming back to this board is the content, that is, posts by the regulars.  The message board software might as well be invisible.

If it's going to cost you money, I would only recommend it if it saves you time somehow.  Or saves you money in the long run.  Perhaps extra protection against spammers and the like.  But it's your site, so if you decide to with new software I have no complaints.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2005, 09:54:44 PM »

I think this forum that you have is unique because it brings you the latest topic responce straight to the top. For some reason I like that. If a topic becomes tired it falls to the bottom of the page then it falls to a back page if nobody reponses. If someone want to they can do a quick search to find the topic again. It feels fresh as other boards had dead topics that stay on the front page.

I'll give a new messageboard a chance. Why not. Just have to get use to a different style of posting. The other styles do work on other websites, but I've never been that interested in them and don't usually post. Maybe I would have to see the new board and see how it goes.

Maybe put both types of messageboard up and see which becomes more popular. Probably to costly, but maybe for a few months only to see which everyone prefers.

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2005, 10:06:35 PM »

I say stick with this Phorum.
It is without a doubt the most unique type of message board I've used.
It does seem to have a personality all its own that no other message board I've ever visited has.
I also agree with Scott as to how the board puts messages back up at the top when you post to them.  I like that.

Sure, you could always set the color scheme of a different board to black & green, but it just wouldn't be the same.

Please keep this board!

Post Edited (11-20-05 21:07)
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2005, 10:24:09 PM »

ASHTHECAT wrote:

> I also agree with Scott as to how the board puts messages back
> up at the top when you post to them.  I like that.
>

VBulletin can do this.  The one the Straight Dope uses has a "flat" view of all the responses, and there is a button next to all posts that will take you straight to the newest post.

This isn't the first time Andrew's changed the board.  When I showed up who knows when there was a different board, though I don't remember if that was phorum or not.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2005, 10:35:55 PM »

Er...I suppose Mofo, but like dean previously said, "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Post Edited (11-20-05 21:36)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2005, 10:53:48 PM »

I say stick with Phorum, for the reasons already given.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2005, 11:23:23 PM »

I agree with the "stick with phorum" chorus.  I like this one, and unless it just does not offer some features you need to make admin easier, from the user standpoint, it ain't broke.

BTW, have you considered just hosting the site on your own server?  If you have your own reliable broadband, that might be a good approach.  It gives you direct control of everything, right there.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2005, 11:30:15 PM »

I refer other people to the simplicity and user-friendly interface of this Phorum both as examples of what a good message board should look like, as well as how easy it is to use. It brings new threads to the top, it has a section for private e-mailing and pictures, and black and green are so sexy.

I agree with Dean, or whomever made the comment on post-tracking. I find it intimidating when I come onto a new board and each person has hundreds of posts next to their name, and I have 0. It separates people from what they really love, BAD MOVIES.

Furthermore, the idea of separating topics by categorizing them into their own special place on the boards is quite a hassle. I think we have a good system here: for off-topic posts, you simply use 'OT: ' Everything else is fair game.

And, everything else everyone else has said already too.

Glad to see you around, Andrew.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 12:23:45 AM »

I like this forum because its unique. I go to 2 other sites that have V bulletin and while I like them it seems that alot of forums use v bulletin. Also the black and green seem to give a vibe of B-movie for some reason.

-------------------------------------------------
Most of all I hate dancing then work, exercise, people,stupid people

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Menard
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 12:32:20 AM »

Count my vote for Phorum as well. I reiterate what everybody else has said: simplicity, speed, and no rankings; although those particular features could probably be emulated with vbulletin.

Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2005, 12:39:11 AM »

Stick with the Phorum... It does the job and you don't have to do much clicking through or anything.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2005, 08:41:53 AM »

I have to agree to sticking with Phorum because of what everyone else said. But, if it makes your job easier we can all adapt.

I know about the hassles with spam and such. I run a little website for my old Navy unit and I had to recently change the guestbook service because the old had no spam protection. I was constantly having to go out and clear dozens of posts from spammers.

If it will free up some time for you to review more movies or have more time for the wife and kids, go with something that will make life easier.  But if that's not your concern let's just stay with what's working now.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
odinn7

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2005, 09:03:01 AM »

I like this board but I could like another board just as easily. I have gotten used to this board but I do use other boards and there are pros and cons to all of them, it's just a matter of getting used to them. I think what many people are overlooking here is that this board is paid for by you so if this one is a burden on you, go to another one. I am a member of 2 other boards which both seem to work fine for me and are quite easy to use. One board is run by vbulletin and is quite a well organized and well run board with many features. Go check it out at arachnoboards.
The other board is run by Simplemachines.org which works real well too. You can check this out at tapsforums. I can put you in touch with the guy that runs the whole thing there if you have any questions.
Of course I don't know what these cost but they may be worth looking at, Andrew. Ultimately it's up to you of course since you're the one paying for it. I, myself, will be satisfied with any board as I don't come here just for the board but rather the people and the topics.
I will say one other thing though, it was nice of you to think of asking this rather than just changing without any consideration. That is one major thing that will set your boards apart from others no matter who is hosting it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  A question for everyone « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.