Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:43:35 PM
714655 Posts in 53102 Topics by 7748 Members
Latest Member: Lucinda02
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:Had to get it off my chest « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: OT:Had to get it off my chest  (Read 5623 times)
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« on: November 29, 2005, 12:27:26 PM »

Ok, I just have to get this off my chest. I moved to Norway from Charlotte NC a year and a half ago to marry my wife who is British/Norwegian. We met on the net, and one thing led to another after a few trips back and forth we got married. We have a baby on the way, and I have adopted her 6 year old daughter. What I have to get off my chest is a list of the top 10 things I miss about the US.
1. My Harley
2. Pop tarts
3. Warm summers
4. Good pizza
5. SCIFI channel.
6. Good sausage, and  bratwursts
7. Beer that is over 3.5%
8. 4th of July
9. Waffle House/ IHOP
10. TV without subtext

For the most part it is ok here, but I keep finding myself being homesick for some of this stuff. Well, I feel better…. LOL
Oh, yeah the gas here is like 8.00 a gallon here, and the taxes are high as hell here too. The medical system is great (free), but everything else is really expensive. Pack of cigs cost about 10.00 a pack.
Ok, now let me know how big an idiot I am for posting this…. :)

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2005, 12:35:50 PM »

Just a simple question for you: why did you move there rather than have her move here?

Some of those things in that list would be too much for me to live without.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2005, 12:36:43 PM »

Thad,

Good to know that you're (used to be) a fellow North Carolinian.....there seems to be a few on this board.

I can't imagine paying 8.00 a gallon for gas.  I b***hed enough when it was 2.70 and 2.80 a gallon.  The price of the cigs wouldn't bother me, as I'm a non-smoker.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
daveblackeye15

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2005, 12:45:26 PM »

No Harleys or warm summers!?

No pop tarts!?

Communists!

(Although a free medical system is kick ass.)

You need to come visit Oregon during the summer it's just plain beautiful.

What about Godzilla movies! Please tell me they have Godzilla movies!

Now it's time to sing the nation anthem IN AMERICA!!!

Bandit Keith from Yu-Gi-Oh the Abridged Series (episode 12)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2005, 01:10:49 PM »

Greetings from Greensboro, NC.

Sucks you miss all the trashy little things about this country that make it fun. Greasy breakfast bars and restaurants, hard liquor, Harleys, and bad TV.

Is there a care package we can send to you? Maybe a pack of Ramen, the DVD series of Firefly, and coupons to Pizza Hut. You can call from Norway and order a pizza and see if they deliver. If we can we could smuggle some fireworks, gasoline, and a couple of 40 oz. malt beers for you if you like.

How's the landscape over there? Do you miss having a dusty southwest, humid south east, frigid northeast, and foggy northwest, as well as mountain ranges on both sides of the country and neighboring countries that are easy to make fun of? Are Sweden of Finland easy pickings? Do you get to visit these guys often? Can we come to visit? Do you have a couch for about 30 bad movie lovers to come crash on our random journey through Europe? Where do you work? How do you live, man?!

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2005, 01:15:00 PM »

Scottie,

I'll take that Firefly DVD set if Thad doesn't want it.  

;o)

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2005, 01:33:57 PM »

When I lived  in Europe (10+ years ago) my biggies were:
1) 24 Hour/7 day shopping, or at least ONE store open on Sunday.
2) Peanut Butter Cups.
3) Beseball- and I wasn't much of a fan then.
4) Ice Cream stores open in winter
5) Turkey- the Dutch didn't eat much of it.

Still and all, I miss stuff from there more.  On my trips over I try and get my fill.  
Enjoy it, I'm kinda jealous!
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2005, 01:39:04 PM »

I'll chip in a copy of "Hot August Night" by Neil Diamond.   It's super-Vegas style.  He actually sings something that comes out like, "forever in BLEEEE  jeans, yeah!"    It's awesome.

So you moved to Norge, and your picture is that one on the Frappr that says "I hate snow," I presume...?  

I'll include "Heartlight" in that CD.  You'll feel a lot better.
raj

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2005, 02:04:49 PM »

No. Beer. Over. 3.5%.?  And it's dark for, like, half the year?  How the hell do they survive?
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2005, 02:19:33 PM »

I lived in Scotland for two years back the 70's and here's a few things I missed.

Real ice cream

Real hamburgers (went to a place called Wimpy's once, but it was nothing like the good old Tastee Freeze)

I remember watching an episode of Harry O.  with David Jansen where he ordered a chili-dog with onions and cheese. Man was I salivating.

I had no problems with the beer there though. My preference was something called Younger's Tartan Special.

TV wasn't so bad, Monty Python, Stanley Baxter, Benny Hill, and Tommy Cooper.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
raj

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2005, 02:36:15 PM »

Not to mention on BBC (Euro television in general) they show boobies.

Mmmm, Younger's Tartan Special.
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 03:21:01 PM »

Have you tried this stuff Salmiakki?  A jar of these candies with cyrillic writing on it mysteriously showed up in the break room at my work one day.  On the side was a picture of a man with flames shooting from his mouth.  Inside were black, diamond shaped hard candies.  The fumes smelled of liquorice.

Being the adventurous sort, I popped one into my mouth.  Imagine a strong liquorice taste with a really strong citric acid type burn going for it.  Now imagine you got tired of tasting this horrible crap and bit into the candy to get it all over with.  Imagine you are instantly awarded with a mouthful of ammonia.

Yes, one of the ingedients was ammonium chloride, which tastes exactly like it smelled.  I looked it up online to make sure I didn't poison myself, which lead me to the wikipedia entry above.  Says Norweigans, among others, eat it for fun.

Funniest part, nobody claimed responsibility for the jar for several days.  I have yet to be able to convince anybody else to try it.  We get some weird stuff at my work.  Remind you to tell you about the canned water sometime.

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
ThadC
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2005, 04:30:26 PM »

Odin7... The reason I came here instead of her coming to US is because of her daughter, she does not speak English yet, and it would be real hard to get her in a school. We plan to move to the US in a couple of years.

Skaboi… Charlotte was pretty cool, I actually grew up in Indiana, and moved to NC when I was 18. I went there to join the police, and made it to the Charlotte version of SWAT. I was a sniper.

Daveblackeye15... They have Harleys here, but I had to sell mine before I came here.. Too expensive to ship here. I might take a trip to Oregon  some time. I hear it is really nice. Godzilla movies are on sometimes on satellite, but not very often.

Scottie… I can get hard liquor, but it is expensive as s**t, and the liquor store is only open for about 4 hours, and we have to drive to Sweden to get it. The care package sounds great, but the cost of shipping is high. I don’t think I have seen Firefly, and I don’t think Pizza Hut delivers across oceans. Maybe you could send me some Krispy Cream doughnuts. Man I miss those too!!!
The landscape is beautiful here. It is rocky, and lakes all over the place. In the summer it doesn’t get dark till about midnight, and in the winter it is dark around 3 in the afternoon. Sweden, and Finland are about the same, but on the ferry to Denmark they have a tax free shop that you can get stuff real cheep. We try to go to Sweden about once a month to get meat, and cigs… 1/3 the price. We are moving into a bigger place next month, so if you guys want to come freeze your ass off with me, why not pay a visit if you are ever in the Scandinavian area. To answer the question of where I work, and how do I live question… I do some odd jobs here, and there. Some mechanic work mostly. I have a friend named Espen Lee who is kind of famous in Norway who wants me to work for him in a group called the Omega Group. Private soldier stuff, and personal security work. I kind of wanted to get away from that since I have a family now. Not good to get my ass shot off, and leave a widow.

Ed… I hear you about the stores. Everything closes at 9 here, and it sucks to get a late night munchy when there are no 24 hour 7 eleven. I am not much of a sports fan unless it is boxing, or UFC. People around here are nuts about soccer, and I can’t stand it.

Zapranoth… Your music selection is a bit off the wall, but for some reason does not surprise me at all. The pic on Frapper is one from here. It was last year , and around -25c Like I said I hate snow, but the cold is the worst. -35c is about the coldest it gets here, and that is cold enough to freeze spit before it hit’s the ground.

Raj… How I survive is by drinking more beer. p**s more too. The dark doesn’t really bother me too much though, it’s the sun in the summer that gets on my nerves.

trek_geezer… The ice-cream here is pretty good, but not much variety. The hamburgers suck too, but at least there is Burger King, and Mc Donald’s. The main beer here is called Ringnes, and Tuborge. One of my friends here is a Scottish guy. He is always b***hing about the beer.

Mofo Rising… Salmiakki is nasty. Another nasty thing they eat here is Lutefisk, and Smala Hove. Its fish in lye, and sheep head. They also eat some nasty fish cakes here too… think about chewing up a mouthful of fish sticks, spit them out, freeze it, then refry it up the next day. For the most part, I stay away from traditional Scandinavian food as a rule of thumb.

I changed my pic on frapper. I am the one with the bald head, and long beard.

Post Edited (11-29-05 15:50)

(((Little purple bunnies live in my sock drawer, and they tell me to burn things.)))
Crazy people have more fun.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2005, 05:15:40 PM »

Thad:

I feel your pain, but to a lesser degree.  For most of my career, I have had jobs that required travel - - often outside the U.S.  While I am away, I always miss things like pizza, steak that isn't over cooked, TV shows in English, good hotdogs and hamburgers, etc.  My longest overseas stint was a 4 month project in Portugal back in the mid 1990s.  I really missed a lot of the day-to-day things that we take for granted here in the U.S.

My most recent trip out of the country was a 10 day project in Belgium a couple of months ago.  I really liked it there, and the beer was great (a lot of it was 9% - 9.5% alcohol).  Even though I had a good time there, I was still more than happy to come home after 10 days.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2005, 07:17:36 PM »

Thad,
 You just made my vote for the most polite post ever.

oh yeah...big fluffy towels, but thats a hotel thing, not a foreign thing.
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT:Had to get it off my chest « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.