Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:27:08 AM
714514 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cult Horror Buffs? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cult Horror Buffs?  (Read 896 times)
finsterlaw
New Visitor

« on: December 05, 2005, 05:54:33 PM »

I watched this the other week at UMVD -- it's a bit on the cult side (just a little, laugh), but personally I think horror films work great in this arena.  It starts out with some high school kids celebrating the big game, only to be brutally murdered by someone...was it an escaped mental patient, or the guy from Maniac Cop, or the other crazy guy with a troubled past?  The film was obviously shot on a small budget, but there's plenty of blood and guts to compensate.  This one goes in a special place within my DVD collection, horror buffs must see this:

www.therockvilleslayer.com/intro

Best of all, the ending is a total kick...I didn't guess it and figure that not many people could.
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2005, 07:16:44 PM »

I have not seen that one, but my personal favorite escaped mental patient movie is

Alone in the Dark (1982)

staring Jack Palance and Donald Pleasance.

I saw this movie in high school when the slasher genre was just starting to take off as Friday the 13th was up to Part II at least (III in 3-D was out in '82, but I don't recall if it came out before AitD) and the same for Halloween.

But the thing that made this one memorable to me was that it could happen.  Jason and Michael Meyers always struck me as a bit too supernatural, but Jack Palance in AitD was a normal guy (paranoid schizophrenic as he was), and broke out to murder the doctor he thought was persecuting him.

IIRC, there was some killer gore, too.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2005, 09:48:48 PM »

Jack Palance and Donald Pleasant in ALONE IN THE DARK. It's on my list to view Ulthar. It sounds like a good one. Thanks.

Menard
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2005, 10:20:27 PM »

Alone in the Dark (1982) is one of my personal favorites as well.

YEEEHAAA!!!!

Just checked Amazon and discovered that Alone in the Dark is now (finally!!!!) available on DVD.

To add to my excitement, Just Before Dawn has also been released on DVD.

Double YEEEHAAA!!!!

Thanks for bringing that up Ulthar. Come on and get your hug
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2005, 08:35:12 AM »

I'm with you guys, Alone In The Dark is fantastic.  It had slipped by me all of these years, and I happened to catch it on IFC a few months back.  Still holds up very well to this day.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 12:24:02 AM »

You didn't mention it stares the one and only B-Queen Linnea Quigley!!

And, Emilio Estevez's uncle Joe...

This one has promise on those merits alone.  I'll have to put it on the list.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
finsterlaw
New Visitor

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2005, 05:29:02 PM »

No, I didn't, but yeah, whoever did the casting set this one up well.  Rob Z'Dar is great, but the other two names you mentioned, included bad movie king Joe Estevez, are quite good, too.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cult Horror Buffs? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.