Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:00:27 AM
714504 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Forced to Work Together « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Forced to Work Together  (Read 2061 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: December 29, 2005, 07:27:37 AM »

I watched "Enemy Mine" for the first time in years the other night.

Two races who bitterly hate each other and are forced to work together because of mutual bad circumstances in order to survive.
They almost always become friends once they overcome their unique differences.

I find that utterly fascinating.

Do you also find this as fascinating as I do?
If so...why?

What other films are there with this theme?
dean

« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2005, 07:58:44 AM »

Yeah, that's always a really interesting, and often entertaining thing to happen.  Do you mean races or just 'different groups' such as two rival gangs or something.

If it is races, then that adds a whole different level to the whole experience, but if you meant just gangs/different people, it is very interesting indeed!

I'm sure I can think of one, but can't off the top of my head.  Maybe films like Tango and Cash vaguely set this sort of relationship up, though it's not the best example of what you're after.

I do, however, think that Harry Potter will end up having to work with his schoolyard nemesis [whose name I can't remember, is it Draco?  I think it is anyway] near the end of the series, and becoming grudging allies, though not necessarily friends.

Jeez, me even thinking that is lame...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
onionhead
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005, 01:20:10 PM »

48 Hours comes to mind . . .

Some people like cupcakes better--I for one care less for them
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005, 01:30:53 PM »

None But the Brave (1965) A platoon of Marines crashes on a Pacific Island that is inhabited by a stranded company of Japanese soldiers. They make an uneasy truce in order to survive, they even get to like each other for a while.

Clint Walker plays the Marine pilot and Frank Sinatra (who also directed the movie) plays the old Chief medic. Tommy Sands does a turn as the green 2nd Lt. and Brad Dexter plays the veteran Sergeant. Tatsuya Mihashi plays the Japanese commander.

It's a very good WWII flick and one of my favorites.

As far as Enemy Mine goes, I think Lou Gossett should gotten another Oscar nod for his part. I liked when he got pregnant and went all maternal.  It's a good movie but it did tend to get a bit preachy in parts.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 03:30:25 PM »

Another WWII movie is "Hell in the Pacific," as Lee Marvin and Toshiro Mifune, as an American pilot and a Japanese naval officer, who are forced to work together to survive, when thrown together on a deserted island in the Pacific during the last days of WWII.

Interesting topic, Ashthecat. As this is one of my favorite themes in films, let me see, if I can think of some films along these lines.
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 03:43:22 PM »

"Stargate: SG1" completely recycled this plot in one of their episodes a few years ago. They even called the episode "Enemy Mine."

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2005, 07:49:41 PM »

I think what Ash is mentioning is where the term "Buddy Movie" or "Buddy Comedy" comes from. Two people who start off the movie hating each other, become inseparable best friends by the end. Lethal Weapon, Rush Hour, National Security, Men in Black; there's a huge market out there for this kind of movie because it usually ends happily and that's what Hollywood likes.

My favorite? The classic... The Odd Couple 1968.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 12:28:27 PM »

As everyone has pointed out, the theme of people being "forced to work together" is quite common in films, and here are some more.

"The Bushido Blade"

When a ceremonial sword of friendship is given by the Americans to the Japanese in the 1850's, the sword is stolen by Japanese elements, who want to see the opening overtures between the Americans and the Japanese fail. Thus the Americans and Japanese are forced to work together to recover the sword and save Japanese "face."

"The Cavern"

When a supply cavern is blown up by the Axis to deny the advancing Allies of the supplies in it, a disparate force of Americans, English, Germans, and Italians are trapped in it and forced to work together to find a way out.

"The Flight of Noah's Ark"

When Elliot Gould's, Genevieve Bujold's, and Ricky Schroder's plane crashs onto a deserted South Pacific atoll, they find the atoll is not deserted. It is still inhabited by two Japanese solldiers, who do not know the war is over. Now everyone has to work together to find a way off of the atoll.

"The Lair of the White Worm"

When there are signs that an ancient pagan snake cult, which practices human sacrifice, is being revived in an isolated English village, two men, who have nothing in common--a local English playboy and a visiting Scottish archaeologist--have to work together to save the girlfriend of one of the men.

"The Devil's 8"
"Thunder Road"

When a moonshiner wants to create a moonshine monopoly and force the other moonshiners out of business, they are forced to work with law enforcement officials to stop someone who is a threat to both groups.

"Krull"
"The Lord of the Rings"
"Willow"

Fantasy films are filled with individuals, who come together to fight a greater evil, even if they have nothing in common and maybe even dislike each other.

"Bataan"
"Battle Beyond the Stars"
"Only the Valiant"
"Sahara"
"The Seven Magnificent Gladiators"

Protecting a crossing, a planet, a pass, a waterhole, a village from the enemy. Films are filled with people "forced to work together," and these are just some of them.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006, 12:39:32 PM »

"Two races who bitterly hate each other and are forced to work together because of mutual bad circumstances in order to survive.
They almost always become friends once they overcome their unique differences."

Well, you've just summarized the plot of about 95% of the movies ever made.  (You might need to replace the word "races" with "people," but the concept is the same).  Remember, "drama is conflict!"

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 10:06:55 AM »

It's better to fall on one's own sword than compromise. Film rarely shows the end result of the momentary truces.

Patton wanted to go into Russian and just because the "cold war" is "over" don't believe it. It may be over in a technological sense for now with EMF weapons and such, but I'm sure they still have their sites on the U.S. with the sale of Nuclear technology to Iran and their own Russian weapons systems in the Ural Mountain range in Russia.

We needed the Russians to defeat Germany. In fact we needed the whole world to defeat Germany as they were only a few years from their super weapons, but Patton was correct about Russian. They could have been beaten in those days after WWII.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 06:06:59 PM »

And there was that time GI Joe and Cobra had to work together to save members of their teams who were captured by a common enemy.

OK, I'm a geek.

But it's true. This kind of plot gets a lot of use in cartoons and comics. Superheroes and supervillains have made many a temporary alliance when the situation got bigger than both of them.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
odinn7

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 09:56:01 PM »

Ahhh....In X-2 they had to work together too. This can be seen in so many movies that it would be impossible to keep track of all of them.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
Susan
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2006, 09:12:56 PM »

ASHTHECAT Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I watched "Enemy Mine" for the first time in years
> the other night.
>
> Two races who bitterly hate each other and are
> forced to work together because of mutual bad
> circumstances in order to survive.
> They almost always become friends once they
> overcome their unique differences.
>
> I find that utterly fascinating.
>
> Do you also find this as fascinating as I do?
> If so...why?
>

Wow - for a minute there i thought you were describing my office. Except we haven't overcome our unique differences yet...lol
Just Plain Horse
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2006, 04:04:55 PM »

I too am reminded of my workplace... kind of creepy...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Forced to Work Together « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.