Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:35:55 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: A Fun New Hobby Of Mine « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: A Fun New Hobby Of Mine  (Read 894 times)
odinn7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: December 23, 2005, 10:03:35 AM »

Ever get spam mail? Of course you do. For a while there it annoyed the crap out of me but I have gotten used to it now and my e-mail program just gets rid of what I don't want. However...have you ever gotten an e-mail telling you that you've won the internet lottery or some other lottery that you never entered? Have you ever gotten one that says some guy wants you to help him get millions out of his country and if you do, you will get a cut of the cash? These are referred to as 419 scams and are usually from Nigeria although they could be from anywhere. They claim you are somehow entitled to large amounts of money and then after contacting them you find out you need to give them some amount of money as a transfer fee. Usually if this fee is paid, they will then try to milk you for more by claiming customs fees and all sorts of other things all with the promise that you will, in the end, get millions. In fact, you will be ripped off. These are the e-mails that I like.
I have started what is called "baiting" these scammers. The basics are like this: You get one of these mails and reply to it as some kind of made up character who is interested in what they offer. You attempt to drag these people on as long as you can and make up outlandish story lines as you go. The  best part is that these people are criminals and are really scamming people out of money (yes, people do fall for it and it is big business) so baiting them is actually like crime fighting in a way. Along the way, you try to get them to send you "trophies" which consist of pictures of them doing stupid things or holding up ridiculous signs to prove to you they are trustworthy. Their understanding of the english language is very weak so you can get some good signs as long as you have a decent back story to give a reason why they would write this. My wife says this is a perfect hobby for me as I get to belittle and humiliate people and actually get to feel good about doing so.
There is a huge group of people from all around the world that are in on this baiting and there are even some websites dedicated to it. I belong to one that is quite amusing. It has a forum where people can exchange ideas on baiting and things along those lines. The main part of the site has a section with pictures that baiters have sent in where they have gotten picture trophies. There is a section for the letters that they have sent back and forth while scamming the scammers. It's hilarious. This is a link to the site if you want to check it out.
I haven't been able to get a trophy yet as I haven't been doing this very long but I have gotten quite a few hilarious correspondences. I use different character names such as Heyw00d Jabl0me, H0ward Cunn1ngham, and H@nk @rinfor (all munged in case of search attempts).  I am currently working on one where I am a part owner of a company that we sell all things related to dogs. My company name works out to be "F@h-K1ng Dogs" and our company slogan is "I Love F@h-K1ng Dogs!". Can you guess what sign I'm trying to get this scammer to hold up?
There are some risks and because of this you need to take precautions and be very careful what you do send them. One of the main things that you need to remember is "bait safe". You never send from an e-mail address that has any of your real info on it and you never send any kind of picture or form that hasn't been worked on to remove any identifying information.
This is a fun hobby and I thank you for allowing me to tell you a little bit about it.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2005, 10:12:36 AM »

Yep, I've done that, too.  It is fun.

Mine was a wierd variation.  From my web site, I have a few items of used equipment that I am selling.  One contacted me wanting to buy some.  But, the catch was he wanted me to buy a new laptop for a friend of his and ship with it, and he would arrange payment.

I kept him on the hook for probably two months.  It was one issue after another, bank won't wire to my bank, etc, etc. And finally, he just gave up.

Enjoy!!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
dean

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2005, 10:17:58 AM »

Haha, fun!

That reminds me of telemarketers who can get really annoying, and the silly things you can do to them, but that's more mean than crime-fighting really.

You will have to post a 'trophy' here or put it up on Frappr in honour of this person [even better!] when you get one.  Sounds like a cruel-yet-hilarious hobby to have.  And as they say, every little bit helps, especially when scamming the scammers!

As for me, my email spam mostly seems to tell me that I need a larger penis, hinting towards extensions.  I feel so insignificant...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Zapranoth
Eye of Sauron and

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 03:23:59 AM »

This one's the best I've heard in a long time, if you're into comedians pwning telemarketers.

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/audio/cemetary.html
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: A Fun New Hobby Of Mine « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.