Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 09:40:44 AM
714522 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior  (Read 4402 times)
Fearless Freep
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 01, 2005, 11:15:09 AM »

This movie was talked about here recent;ly.  I just watched it last night.

I enjoyed it quite a bit. For a bit I thought the main actor (Tony Jaa as "Ting") was trying to be Thailands answer to Jackie Chan :)

The plot is pretty simple.  A theif (Don) steals the head of the local idol (Ong-bak) from a small, poor village.  Ting, who has been trained in Muy Thai, elects to go to the city to hunt down the theif and return the head.  So...he's off to Bangkok, where he meets up with his cousin, George, who is in trouble for a lot of debt to various organized crime types.  From there, Ting tries to get George to show him where Don is, and George tries to get Ting to fight in various underground fights to win money to help George pay off his debts.  Eventually they find Don, and the crime boss behind him, leading to a showdown with Ting fighting the boss' underling.

Lot's of good MA in this one.  It didn't have the look of any wires or CG so it was all athletic skill, which I kinda enjoy.  I wish there had been more fights on the street and less fights in the ring

All in all, I enjoyed it.  It was well produced and had some humour and some good fights and the stroy was a little bit of a depearture from normal.

In the street fight scene early on, you can see chalk on the walls. writtin in English, a statement to an American producer.  It says "Hi, Spielberg, let's do it together"

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2005, 02:55:02 PM »

I definitely think I'm gonna have to go rent this one.
Everyone I've talked to also agrees that it's pretty good.

Plus, It's been awhile since I watched a good martial arts film.
Shadowphile
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2005, 03:11:55 PM »

Sounds like a good rental to me as well....
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2005, 12:37:02 PM »

no some people didn't like it.  But i did, especially the opening scene.  and all the old school action cliches!  all it was missing was a chuck norris cameo

LH-C
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2005, 01:56:55 PM »

This flick seems to be one that people either love or hate. There is no middle ground. Don't know yet whether I'll rent it or not.

Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2005, 02:11:15 PM »

I've had it sitting at home from Netflix for a couple of days.  I really need to get around to watching it.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2005, 07:36:32 PM »

I can't believe everyone is being so kind to this movie. I couldn't stand it. (See my older post, "Ong Bak: The Time Waster" for more details).

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Fearless Freep

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2005, 08:46:09 PM »

Well, I wouldn't say I loved it...but it was a lot of fun to waste an hour and a half with.

BTW, nobody, the 'repeat scene from several angles' is fairly common in kung-fu movies, especially ones with natural stunt work.  I think Jackie Chan's fall from the clock tower was repeated about fout  times in "Project A".  That's a genre cliche.  You may not like it, but no reason to ding this movie on it personally

=======================
Going places unmapped, to do things unplanned, to people unsuspecting
nobody
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2005, 08:55:57 PM »

I've seen a lot of martial art flicks, but that repeated angles shtick was a new one on me. I do believe you when you say it's a genre cliche, I've just never seen it for myself before (or after) Ong Bak.

"Television is an invention that permits you to be entertained in your living room by people you wouldn't have in your home."  
(David Frost)
Scott

Hey, I'm in the situation room ! ! !

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2005, 10:02:03 PM »

I'll be waiting for cable for this one I guess.........................

Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2005, 10:00:10 PM »

I finally watched this the other night.
Some of the story line was kinda cheesy but the film did have this kind of weird charm to it.
Just when I was beginning to think that the repeating camera thing that 'nobody' previously mentioned was getting a bit repetitive, it stopped, and wasn't really used again until the end fight scene.
That end fight was damn good.

What did Ting eat before the fight?
He put what looked like a roll of resin into his mouth.
Then he spit liquid onto his arms.

And I wonder what the henchman injected himself with?
In that end scene he jams like 5 syringes into his chest at once.

And Freep, I did notice that nod to Spielberg written on the wall in that alley chase scene.
I had to rewind it and pause just to be sure.

The treasure of this film is the fight club scene where Ting takes on three crazy mofo's:

1. Big Bear - Big Aussie with long black curly hair.  Psychotic.

2. Don Chido-(I think that was his name) An asian with an afro.  Tae-Kwon-Do master.

3. Mad Dog- Totally insane Adam Sandler look alike.  Attacks using objects around him like chairs, bottles, vases, refrigerators and live electrical lines ripped out of the wall.

That bar fight scene was awesome!
After the film ended, I had to go back and watch that scene again.
And I think I counted at least 30 elbows straight down to the top of the head throughout the movie.
And Ting uses the Super Elbow!  He takes a chunk out of the top of a guy's head with it.

It actually was a pretty good movie.
If you haven't seen it, I definitely recommend it just for the fight scenes.

Post Edited (11-28-05 21:13)
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2005, 08:15:19 AM »

Yeah, Ong-Bak was a blast.  

The best part for me was the chase scene in the streets.  Watching Jaa do the various stunts, all without wires, was absolutely stunning.  

I can't wait till the psuedo-sequel Tom Yum Goong comes out here.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Archivist

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2006, 02:31:16 AM »

I saw Ong Bak near the end of 2003 or so, on a Hong Kong VCD I bought online.  I had heard great things about it in Asian Cult Cinema, and I was not disappointed.  The plot had every martial arts/action movie cliche it could fit in, and the action was absolutely top notch.  It was like watching a great HK action flick from the late 80's; it's a shame they only do Canto-pop star nonsense movies now.

I saw it again in 2004 when it got a theatrical release, and the French distribution company had altered the soundtrack, removing the traditional Thai music from some fight scenes and chase scenes and replacing it with idiotic quasi hip hop beats, probably to give it more 'international appeal'.  Blah.  But all the action was still there, including an arm break and leg break that were excised from the HK release.

And Tony Jaa has come out with a new one:  Tom Yum Goong.  The trailers at www.tomyumgoongmovie.com are making me itch for the 'View Basket' button even as we speak...

~Archivist~

"Many others since have tried & failed at making a watchable parasite slug movie" - LilCerberus
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Ong-Bak: The Thai Warrior « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.