Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:15:30 AM
714435 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: XM Radio « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: OT: XM Radio  (Read 890 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: December 30, 2005, 08:46:47 AM »

For Christmas, along with a bunch of crap, I received a XM Satellite Radio reciever for my car.  It's not a high end one, just one that plugs into the cigarette lighter in your car.  It has a built in FM transmitter, so you just tune your radio to the frequency specified by the XM radio and you've got satellite music.

I was pretty surprised when I opened up the box.  I've read a LOT about satellite radio, but I never made the plunge myself.  I don't much care for the cost of it (13.00 a month), but I figured that I might as well go ahead and give it a try.  I started the service Wed and I have to say:

"Hello, my name is Skaboi, and I love XM Radio."

I never really saw the purpose in paying for radio.  Now, I understand completely why people pay for this service.....I'm hooked.

At first, I cycled through the stations, not expecting to find anything of my liking.  I hit up the news stations first and listened to a bit of NPR before going a bit further into the service.  I eventually hit the Rock category and that's what my receiver has stayed.

The first channel that I hit under the Rock category was "XM Fungus".  It's a terrible name for a radio station, but I gave it a listen since it was playing Superman by Goldfinger.  That song ended, and next up was a song by The Dropkick Murphys.  After that was a song by The Lawerence Arms, then The Vandals, then The Specials.

I knew at that point, I had found my own personal heaven.

I'm a huge fan of ska and punk, and that is what this station is dedicated to.  I couldn't believe that there was actually such a channel.  I ended up listening to it for a few hours, as I had it plugged in at our house.

Eventually, I found some other good stations.  One is "XM Unsigned" which plays a lot of indie/unsigned music, and I've had a blast with it as well.  Then there is "XM Squizz" which plays Disturbed, Skindrid, Limp Bizkit, etc.  And, if I want to go a bit harder, there is "XM Boneyard" which plays a lot of 80s metal.

Overall, I'm quite happy with the service, and I highly recommend it to everyone.  I wish it was cheaper, but for me it's worth the money.  I'm actually considering buying real XM receivers to replace the FM radios in mine and my wife's cars.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Georgie Boy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »

I have DirecTV which has XM programming for it's music selection.  I really enjoy it as well.  Glad you found the $13.00 per month to be worthwhile.
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 10:26:45 AM »

Georgie Boy,

Yeah, I use DirectTV as well, but some of my favorite stations aren't available through that service.  I like having it for free at home, but Fungus is not an option through DirectTV.

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Amanda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 11:02:28 PM »

I have Dish Network, and they have Sirius.  I LOVE it.  I'm considering getting it in my car.  Faction and Left of Center are both good.  They have a whole Elvis station, Bruce Springsteen, and lots of bluegrass.  

XM is probably nearly identical, I suppose?

Amanda
sinkwater
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005, 07:37:28 PM »

I was thinking of getting XM for stuff like Opie & Anthony and The Phil Hendrie Show, do they still have those shows? Their music channels sound awesome too. I really want to get it, but I might wait another year or so. I can't decide which one is better, XM or Sirius.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  OT: XM Radio « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.