Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:03:18 AM
714510 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hostel « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Hostel  (Read 874 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: January 07, 2006, 08:17:06 PM »

My wife and I saw Hostel this afternoon, and I figured I'd post a review.

I've been looking forward to Hostel for many many many months now after hearing that the film was in it's first stages of production.  I like Eli Roth as a guy, and as a director.  I thought that Cabin Fever was decent, but I knew he could make a much better movie.  Hostel is that movie.

The movie starts with three guys.  Two are American and one is from either Norway or Iceland...I don't remember which.  They are in Amsterdam, having the time of their lives with weed and chicks.  While there, they meet a strange guy named Alexi who tells them of a hostel, in another war-torn country, where the chicks are hot and will do ANYTHING for a man.

They travel to the hostel, and everything is just fine for the first half of the film.  They're getting laid and high, and everything is going good until their European buddy disappears.  From this point on, Roth throws us face first into hell.  Soon, the friends are stuck in a building where rich bastards pay to torture other people.

I consider myself a hardened genre fan.  I've seen hundreds of horror films, yet Hostel got to me a bit.  Roth leaves many of the torture scenes to the imagination, but shows us things that I would have never imagined.  I even started to get sick at some of the scenes in the film.  This, in my opinion, is a fantastic feat and one that Hostel should be comended for.

I try to keep my language on this board tame, but this is the only way I can describe the film:

It is a f**ked up film.

I loved most every second of the film.  Eli could have made the ending a bit more tight, and I had one other problem with the film.  When the film starts, during the credits, we are shown the torture chambers and the various instruments of pain being washed.  Then the film jumps into super-happy-teen-sex-drug-movie mode.  If the film had started happy, without any look at what happens next, it would be a much more powerful film in my opinion.  

Overall, Eli does an amazing job directing.  I think what I love best about the movie is that it doesn't seem "American" in the least.  It feels like something we would have gotten from Italy in the 70s or something we'd have gotten from the likes of Miike in the 90s.  Speaking of Miike, he makes a great cameo in the film.

Hostel made me sick, and had me entertained and stressed throughout it's hour and thirty minute run time.  The last time I felt so strongly about a horror film was Haute Tension.  I have to say that, this will probably be my favorite horror film of 2006.  I applaud Eli Roth and his crew for making an amazing horror film.

9.5/10

Note - Sorry about making another thread about Hostel.  Didn't see the eariler thread...

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2006, 09:37:46 AM »

As I mentioned in another HOSTEL thread in this forum, I was very disappointed in this movie after hearing all the hype.  I think the story of the guys backpacking through Europe was much more interesting than any of the "horror" aspects, which weren't very scary.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »

I thought it was decent enough. I was still dissapointed though and didn't really find it scary. It just the gore was good but I found that was it really. The girl with the hanging eye got to me though.

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Hostel « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.