Main Menu

COVID-19 Rant

Started by indianasmith, March 11, 2020, 10:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

indianasmith

In the last two days:

The NCAA has announced that all its games, including the Final Four and the National Championship games, will be played before empty stadiums.
The NBA has canceled the remainder of its season after a Utah Jazz player tested positive.
Tom Hanks and his wife have tested positive for the virus.
The entire nation of Italy is on lockdown and quarantine.
All travel from Europe has been restricted (but not China - WTH is that all about?!)
New cases are springing up faster than the CDC can track them.

And STILL the brain dead Trumpsters on my FB Feed are calling it "media conspiracy to help elect a Democrat"!!!!
GEEZ, people, get a grip on reality!  It's not the end of the world but this is a freaking serious pandemic.
It's not about politics and it's not about Trump, it's about making sure people don't die!
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

Allhallowsday

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!

ER

In fairness, there were Democrats in leadership roles who spoke about this pandemic by saying, "This could be an opportunity."

The politicizing is inevitable and multi-sided, as is the deep well of endemic ignorance.
What does not kill me makes me stranger.

indianasmith

Both sides politicize EVERYTHING.  I remember Sean Hannity blasting the Obama administration night after night for their inadequate response to the Ebola "crisis" (which was NOT a crisis; if you know anything about Ebola you know it takes direct contact with infected blood to catch the thing!).  But blowing off the whole Corona thing because you think it's a Democrat plot to get rid of the President is the height of stupidity.
"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"

lester1/2jr

so far 30 people have died in the US, almost all of them at a rest home in Washington state.

almost all the cases in the world are in China Italy and Iran

we're allowed to be a little cynical aren't we?

RCMerchant

Quote from: lester1/2jr on March 12, 2020, 09:37:55 AM
so far 30 people have died in the US, almost all of them at a rest home in Washington state.

It's 37 as of now.

Here's a map with a state by state run down.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/us/coronavirus-us-cases.html
Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."
Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant

Allhallowsday

Quote from: ER on March 11, 2020, 11:59:45 PM
In fairness, there were Democrats in leadership roles who spoke about this pandemic by saying, "This could be an opportunity."
How do you know that? 

ER

I'm a little busy right now to have time/desire to track down too much here but below is a headline from the leading left-leaning paper describing the virus as an opening to attack Trump, showing it is being politicized by the left as doubtless it also has been by the right.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/business/economy/trump-democrats-coronavirus-economy.html

The Burgomaster

No doubt, this is a serious situation. But it's being perpetuated by the media (including social media).If this same thing, with the same level of seriousness, had happened pre-internet we wouldn't be seeing all this mayhem. Take care of yourselves, stay away from crowds if you can, stay safe.  I suspect this will get worse before it gets better. But in a few months we will have weathered the storm and we'll all be here, still chit-chatting about bad movies and other random stuff. I'm looking forward to it.
"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."

VenomX73

yes... I did hear... unbelievable stuff

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!

chefzombie

Quote from: lester1/2jr on March 12, 2020, 09:37:55 AM

no, we are NOT. there are 3 new cases in my state. all 3 flew to kansas from florida. NOTHING has been said about tracking down all the people at that conference, all the hotel workers, all the people on that flight, all the people on the next flights of that plane, since there is no way it was actually disinfected between flights,NOTHING. there could be as many as 4000 people infected from ONE business conference. it is NOT a time for cynicism.
don't EVEN...EVER!

BoyScoutKevin

How things change in 24 hours.

Yesterday, Wednesday, I was talking to my fellow investment club members, and word was that Disneyland and Walt Disney World would remain open.

Now, today, Thursday, the word is that Disneyland will be closing because of the virus. No wonder the stock tanked today.

No word as to whether Walt Disney World will remain open or close.

If there is any good news out of Disney, Shanghai Disneyland which had been closed, has partially reopened.

ER

You know what makes me happy? Schools are closed for three weeks, giving me three weeks home with my babies. I missed them painfully when I was away a few months ago and now I can have a bunch of extra time with them, almost like a makeup.  :smile:

lester1/2jr

Outside of China and Italy it's the same as SARS and so forth. Bunch of hype

Allhallowsday

Quote from: VenomX73 on March 12, 2020, 03:09:40 PM

yes... I did hear... unbelievable stuff

Unbelievable, yes.  I'd still like to know who said "This could be an opportunity." 

Otherwise, it's Captain Trips I tell ya!!!