Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:14:55 PM
713366 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 112
Author Topic: COVID-19 Rant  (Read 339701 times)
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2020, 11:41:40 AM »

Hopefully, this will calm a few nervous people a little, although I'd remind you that something being close to devoloping is not the same as available now, or in the next week/month/whenever.

Scientists close to developing coronavirus vaccine after tests on mice

A vaccine for the Covid-19 illness caused by the coronavirus is on the verge of being developed, a team of scientists has said.

Researchers, led by Mucosal Infection and Immunity head Dr Robin Shattock, told the Daily Express they have successfully trialled the vaccine in mice and are hopeful it could be ready for human trials by June.

Senior researcher Dr Paul McKay, of Imperial College London, told the paper: "I've got results from a month after I injected (the mice) and the vaccine works really, really well."

The team is working with scientists in Paris to determine the vaccine's effectiveness in monkeys.

Dr McKay said they have applied for further funding from the Medical Research Council to conduct human clinical trials.

"If we get the funding for the human clinical trials, we will put it into people by June," he said.

"If British scientists here develop a vaccine it would be great if the Government supported it."

Should the human trials be successful, the team is hopeful the vaccine will be available for patients in a year.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2020, 12:06:07 PM »

do't go out to eat, but do patronize restaurants, order takeout that is delivered by a magic machine of some sort that doesn't contain a person who may have the virus. if you'd like you make invite 2.5 friends over anymore you have just recreated the restaurant experience
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2020, 11:35:35 PM »

so far 30 people have died in the US, almost all of them at a rest home in Washington state.

almost all the cases in the world are in China Italy and Iran

we're allowed to be a little cynical aren't we?

no, we are NOT. there are 3 new cases in my state. all 3 flew to kansas from florida. NOTHING has been said about tracking down all the people at that conference, all the hotel workers, all the people on that flight, all the people on the next flights of that plane, since there is no way it was actually disinfected between flights,NOTHING. there could be as many as 4000 people infected from ONE business conference. it is NOT a time for cynicism.

Yes, it is time to be cynical. Or at least, one must wonder if you are this shocked at such trivial numbers in Kansas, then you must be wiping your own brains from your exploded head off the walls of your home at *these* far more devastating (and common) statistics:

CDC estimates that so far this season there have been at least 36 million flu illnesses, 370,000 hospitalizations and 22,000 deaths from flu.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/index.htm

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2020, 11:41:54 PM »

dr. fauci said yesterday that this is at least 10 times more deadly than any flu. this is SERIOUS, people. and it won't be over soon, either.

10 times more deadly than any flu is a much lower number than the "20 times deadlier" false information that was being touted a month ago:

CCDC said it was fortunate COVID-19 has been mild for 81% of patients and has a low overall case fatality rate of 2.3% compared to SARS which had close to 10%. However, compared to the seasonal flu with a death rate in the U.S. of about about 0.1%, these statistics mean Covid-19 is 20 times deadlier than the flu.

https://www.ibtimes.com/china-coronavirus-20-times-deadlier-flu-men-more-likely-die-2924865

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2020, 12:50:46 AM »

This is something I wrote on my FB page earlier today.

I've been watching the coverage of the Corona virus and the reactions to it all week. Here are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

OK, first of all - people are overreacting. While buying up a week's worth of groceries and some bottled water is never a bad idea, hoarding toilet paper is stupid. Making a panicked dash to the grocery store and buying months' worth of stuff is not merited. Now, I've been listening, reading, and watching comments from the folks who KNOW what they are talking about - not politicians and reporters, but epidemiologists and doctors. Those are the ones that we need to pay attention to. This is a summary of what they are saying, as I understand it:

First of all, a lot of people are going to catch this thing. CDC estimates anywhere from 20% to 60% of the population will be infected before Corona has run its course, depending largely on how successful our quarantine efforts are. That is pretty scary on its face, but there is good news. The vast majority of those infected will recover fully, most will only be sickened for a few days. The generally young and healthy have EXCELLENT (by that I mean, over 99%) odds of full recovery.

That being said, this is NOT "just like the flu." Yes, flu kills about 25,000 people a year in America alone, sometimes twice that in a bad year. BUT - the reason so many people die from it is because MILLIONS get it. Flu, according to the CDC, has a mortality rate of .1% = one tenth of one per cent. So, if ten million people get the flu, ten thousand will die, mostly elderly and people with compromised immune systems. But we have vaccines for the flu, and we also have medications that are specifically designed to minimize the symptoms of it (Tamiflu is good stuff!).

The problem with COVID-19 is that it has a mortality rate between 2% and 3.5%, according to the latest estimates. Let's say the lowball number is correct and call it 2%. If one million people contract the virus, that means twenty thousand will die. If ten million contract it, that number goes up to 200,000. If a hundred million people contract this - that's less than a third of our population - the death toll would be two million. That is WAY worse than the flu! And there is NO vaccine yet.

Is this gonna "kill us all"? NO, it is not. Not even the horribly virulent 1918 flu mutation did that, although it did claim 75-100 million lives worldwide in the span of two years. But Corona IS serious and quarantine measures make good sense. The more quickly and completely we implement these precautions, the more we can flatten the mortality curve and the less people will get infected - and therefore, less people will die.

So use common sense, follow recommended quarantine guidelines, don't get crazy stupid with hoarding - just keep a decent store of groceries on hand and minimize human contact. Oh, and don't hoard toilet paper. We're gonna make it through this. Be smart!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2020, 02:18:59 AM »

You know people have been advised to sneeze into their elbow, and yet instead have chosen to stock up on toilet paper.

This leads me to one inevitable conclusion.

People really can't tell their arses from their elbows.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2020, 08:29:29 AM »

The NBA, NCAA, Major League Baseball, Broadway, and so on do not close up shop and forgo billions of dollars of revenue just because there is a bad case of the flu going around. This is serious. The panicky stockpiling is the most annoying symptom most of us will have to deal with, but they didn't shut down Italy and Spain on a crazy hunch.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2020, 08:58:04 AM »

Speaking of Italy, a Canadian friend of mine lives outside of Genoa and said no matter what I've heard about what's happening in Italy, it's probably worse, that some foreign visitors with money are sleeping in parks because no one can go anywhere and hotels are often closed, that everything is shut down where he is and rumors seem to have replaced fact, resulting in paranoia, which he said is maybe worse than the actual situation requires. He also said tabloids and shock jocks and conspiracy theorists are having a field day scaring everyone and spreading misinformation. I wonder if all that's our future over here or an extreme reaction on the part of Italians that won't quite be replicated in the United States? (Or maybe he was exaggerating.....)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2020, 11:57:27 AM »

so far there are no deaths in my state  https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-updates-united-states.html
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2020, 12:07:24 PM »

First death in my state.......................
Guy was 70, don't know any more................
I still have a few rolls of toilet paper, and I'm still going to CNC class............

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2020, 01:58:10 PM »

Schools are closed here as from Wednesday: most of our ports and borders with places like Zimbabwe and Botswana will be closed and flights from so-called problem or high risk areas have been told to bugger off.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2020, 02:25:44 PM »

School is closed for about 3 weeks.
A couple of film festivals and places I like to go have been closed down, rescheduled, and such
But I still got to go to work.

Are some people overreacting?  Probably, but that doesn't mean there's no danger.  Both my parents are in their 70's so their in the extreme danger risk if they contract the coronavirus. 

Right now I just want to put myself in a chemically induced coma for the next few weeks and wake up refreshed and walk into a calmer world.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2020, 02:30:44 PM »

What are governments and companies in countries outside the UK doing to support people who are going to miss out on work and thus wages during this outbreak? In the UK we already have sick pay (not a huge amount of money, but better than nothing, and it has been increased and extended to help people. It is better than nothing, however), and some businesses are saying they will continue to pay full wages for staff diagnosed with Covid-19. Steps have also been taken to help small businesses (less than 250 employees) with the extra expenses and difficulties they will be facing (although I can't say if those measures are large enough sums or not).

El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2020, 05:35:31 PM »

I don't understand the stocking and hoarding of toilet paper. Water I can see, but needing 5 billion rolls of toilet paper? As far as catching it I'm more than likely to catch it due to working in a store. However, from what I've heard, the main sick ones that are hospitalize are usually older and heavy smokers.

yeah no.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2020, 05:42:01 PM »

I don't understand the stocking and hoarding of toilet paper. Water I can see, but needing 5 billion rolls of toilet paper? As far as catching it I'm more than likely to catch it due to working in a store. However, from what I've heard, the main sick ones that are hospitalize are usually older and heavy smokers.

It's purely psychological. People like to think that stockpiling gives them control over the situation. Why they pick toilet paper in particular is a mystery.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 112
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.