Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:17:54 PM
713370 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 112
Author Topic: COVID-19 Rant  (Read 339714 times)
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #45 on: March 15, 2020, 05:46:40 PM »

I don't understand the stocking and hoarding of toilet paper. Water I can see, but needing 5 billion rolls of toilet paper? As far as catching it I'm more than likely to catch it due to working in a store. However, from what I've heard, the main sick ones that are hospitalize are usually older and heavy smokers.

It's purely psychological. People like to think that stockpiling gives them control over the situation. Why they pick toilet paper in particular is a mystery.
Stockpiling in of itself isn't a terrible idea, it's great for preparations in case of a natural disaster. But I'm baffled as to why toilet paper is being hoarded.

yeah no.
VenomX73
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #46 on: March 15, 2020, 06:30:04 PM »

hoarding toilet paper is stupid

Gilligan's island, Goonies and Godzilla information booth here!
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2020, 07:18:30 PM »

theres a certain type of liberal who really loves this. telling poeple what to do, stopping commerce, basically making people miserable
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #48 on: March 15, 2020, 07:47:30 PM »

theres a certain type of liberal who really loves this. telling poeple what to do, stopping commerce, basically making people miserable
Who?

yeah no.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #49 on: March 15, 2020, 10:15:47 PM »

on my twitter feed they are outdoing each other telling people what to do with no shame whatsoever
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #50 on: March 15, 2020, 10:21:17 PM »

on my twitter feed they are outdoing each other telling people what to do with no shame whatsoever

BounceGiggle  okay get a hold of yourself you have time... stock up... on toilet paper it will be the currency of the post covid world... get pitchfork...  BounceGiggle Bluesad Lookingup BounceGiggle

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2020, 10:28:54 PM »

The NBA, NCAA, Major League Baseball, Broadway, and so on do not close up shop and forgo billions of dollars of revenue just because there is a bad case of the flu going around.

No, but they *do* shut it down when they don't want to risk their multi-billion dollar investments, oops I mean "players", catching a sniffle and potentially losing out on millions of dollars in endorsement deals in the midst of an overblown media-fed mass hysteria.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2020, 10:31:45 PM »

I don't understand the stocking and hoarding of toilet paper. Water I can see, but needing 5 billion rolls of toilet paper? As far as catching it I'm more than likely to catch it due to working in a store. However, from what I've heard, the main sick ones that are hospitalize are usually older and heavy smokers.

It's purely psychological. People like to think that stockpiling gives them control over the situation. Why they pick toilet paper in particular is a mystery.
Stockpiling in of itself isn't a terrible idea, it's great for preparations in case of a natural disaster. But I'm baffled as to why toilet paper is being hoarded.

Because nothing is more frustrating than running out of toilet paper, then going to the store only to find out that they are sold out of toilet paper. This phenomenon is commonly referred to as a

------------------
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2020, 10:39:51 PM »

First of all, a lot of people are going to catch this thing. CDC estimates anywhere from 20% to 60% of the population will be infected before Corona has run its course, depending largely on how successful our quarantine efforts are. That is pretty scary on its face, but there is good news. The vast majority of those infected will recover fully, most will only be sickened for a few days. The generally young and healthy have EXCELLENT (by that I mean, over 99%) odds of full recovery.

I have a strong suspicion that I had contracted it during the end of September/beginning of October of 2019. I caught this sudden cold which lasted for about 5 days back then. I remember it feeling a bit unusual from all the usual colds or flus that I've had over the years. The same symptoms that they tell you to look out for: shortness of breath, coughing, sneezing, wheezing, sore throat, fever, etc. My little boy caught a touch of it but it went away quicker than mine did. I just toughed it out with a bunch of cough drops until it cleared up.

The reason why I'm suspicious of it being COVID-19 is because I caught it a good 2 months before the first reported case in China was declared at the beginning of December 2019. I live in Alaska and we get flights to and from China up here probably more than most states down in the Lower 48 because Anchorage is an international hub for passenger and cargo planes. Remember, COVID-19 didn't just magically appear when the Chinese reported the first case of it; it was certainly making its rounds for the better part of 2019 if not earlier, and the symptoms are so common and similar to the common cold that most people that catch it undoubtedly have no idea that they have it.

------------------
sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2020, 10:40:10 PM »

What p**ses me off is that the people who advocate the loudest for remaining at home and shutting everything down often have the luxury of working from home and can live their lives on line but refuse to acknowledge there are people out there not as fortunate as them.

Since church is suspending in person services for the next two weeks I thought of asking at church if they minded if I was the person who went to Zoom if there were any issues.  If they took me up on the offer I'd tell them to call Zoom and advise them that the sprite badger is not as forgiving as the people at church are and is totally willing to channel both Lords Vader and Sidious to get s**t done.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2020, 01:25:20 AM »

dr. fauci said yesterday that this is at least 10 times more deadly than any flu. this is SERIOUS, people. and it won't be over soon, either.

10 times more deadly than any flu is a much lower number than the "20 times deadlier" false information that was being touted a month ago:

CCDC said it was fortunate COVID-19 has been mild for 81% of patients and has a low overall case fatality rate of 2.3% compared to SARS which had close to 10%. However, compared to the seasonal flu with a death rate in the U.S. of about about 0.1%, these statistics mean Covid-19 is 20 times deadlier than the flu.

https://www.ibtimes.com/china-coronavirus-20-times-deadlier-flu-men-more-likely-die-2924865

you should watch your step, child. we don't like trolls here.

don't EVEN...EVER!
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2020, 04:48:43 AM »

dr. fauci said yesterday that this is at least 10 times more deadly than any flu. this is SERIOUS, people. and it won't be over soon, either.

10 times more deadly than any flu is a much lower number than the "20 times deadlier" false information that was being touted a month ago:

CCDC said it was fortunate COVID-19 has been mild for 81% of patients and has a low overall case fatality rate of 2.3% compared to SARS which had close to 10%. However, compared to the seasonal flu with a death rate in the U.S. of about about 0.1%, these statistics mean Covid-19 is 20 times deadlier than the flu.

https://www.ibtimes.com/china-coronavirus-20-times-deadlier-flu-men-more-likely-die-2924865

you should watch your step, child. we don't like trolls here.

Nobody’s trolling you. You’re simply being fed misinformation and your math is way off. Oh, and while we’re still on topic...

Amid all the fears, quarantines and stockpiling of food, it has been easy to ignore the fact that more than 60,000 people have recovered from the coronavirus spreading around the globe.

https://apnews.com/926d2cb378b1aa00a56b93cf58b6ab54
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 04:51:54 AM by zelmo73 » Logged

------------------
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2020, 06:27:55 AM »

I am no mathematician but Coronavirus has a mortality rate of around 2.1%-2.3%. Seasonal flu has a mortality rate of around 0.1% as has been mentioned above. If you take that 0.1 and multiply it by 20... Well, that is not maths that is way off. When the dr mentioned above said 10% he also prefaced it with a very important bit that was then missed out on the next quote and that was that it would be at least10 times more deadly, thus indicating the actual rate would be a figure higher than 10 times (and hey, unless my maths is way off, 20 times is indeed higher than 10). By ignoring things like that, it looks like you are best being ignorant or at worst trying to spread misinformation and gaslighting others.

If Barri is guilty of receiving misinformation, could you kindly post up links to the correct information, preferably from some kind of accredited source. I am sure it would be a great help to many people here.

Don't forget also that the initial outbreak in Wuhan has a mortality rate of 4.3% because it was something they hadn't seen before. If as you suggested in an earlier post, it was circulating around transportation hubs, I am pretty sure it would have been noticed that people were suddenly dying of the common cold. There are actually government departments in most countries that watch for spikes in death rates from various sources. If this was going on and was somehow missed then a lot of health departments worldwide need to look at their procedures quite urgently. The earliest case they've been able to confirm was early to mid-November. If you access to a source of information that shows the disease was spreading before then, then you need to take this to your local health authorities. You could single handidly save thousands or even millions of lives in how they manage future outbreaks. They might even put up a statue of you, name a research lab after you or possibly even nominate you for a Nobel prize.

The symptoms you said you had earlier in the year are common to a very large number of other viruses. I'd be interested in hearing what your medical experience and qualification are for you to be able to believe it was this particular strain rather than any of the literally hundreds of other conditions that can cause those same effects, beyond you just having some kind of hunch. Also, I'd look at what parts of China you get flights going through your local transportation hub from? I'd do a search myself for this information, but with flights being stopped from various countries to others, well I couldn't rely on the accuracy of the information I'd get. Remember China is a large country, as is the US. Just because you get lots of people coming through from it, doesn't mean you've been getting people from the problem areas and if you haven't then this would have been a much larger problem at other transportation hubs, and even if you do, a similar effect would have happened at other transport hubs across the world, again increasing the chances that some health authority would have picked up on the outbreak sooner.

You have said that people would mistake it for having a common cold because the symptoms are so similar and people wouldn't be able to tell them apart, and then say you suspect you had Corona because it was different from the other colds and flu's you had. Can you clarify which one of these it is, or do you have some enhanced senses over most people about the infections you pick up? If so I'd recommend you make yourself available to medical science as a superpower like that could be incredibly useful and save many lives. I am sure both the CDC and WHO would be willing to give you a very highly paid position. Indeed, if as you say you felt this was different from a regular cold or flu did you go to your doctors with this? If not then you missed out on a potential chance to give researchers a head start and come up with a vaccination earlier. How many lives would that have saved?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2020, 06:58:37 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2020, 07:11:24 AM »

Oh, on a helpful note it has been suggested the anti-inflammatories may aggravate the effects of Covid-19 as they can suppress the immune system. While it hasn't yet been proven that they could make things worse, it might be worth at risk people taking paracetamol instead.

Health officials point out that anti-inflammatory drugs are known to be a risk for those with infectious illnesses because they tend to diminish the response of the body’s immune system.

The health ministry added that patients should choose paracetamol – which is known in the US by the generic name acetaminophen and commonly by the brand name Tylenol – because “it will reduce the fever without counterattacking the inflammation”.

If you are at risk and already on anti-inflammatories though, please consult your doctor before taking any action. Listening to random people on the internet is not going to be the best medical advice and that includes from me.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2020, 07:50:34 AM »

The NBA, NCAA, Major League Baseball, Broadway, and so on do not close up shop and forgo billions of dollars of revenue just because there is a bad case of the flu going around.

No, but they *do* shut it down when they don't want to risk their multi-billion dollar investments, oops I mean "players", catching a sniffle and potentially losing out on millions of dollars in endorsement deals in the midst of an overblown media-fed mass hysteria.

I felt the way you do at the beginning of this story. A deadly version of the cold that I'll never catch and which wouldn't kill me if I did catch it? Big deal. But I didn't consider the cascade effect of the public health system possibly becoming overwhelmed with a virus that is both more contagious and more deadly than anything circulating at the moment. I underestimated the threat. Things have progressed and it was more serious than I thought. And doctors and medical professionals are unanimous; I haven't heard a single dissenting voice. Even Trump isn't calling this fake news. It's a real threat, it's inconvenient, and it's manageable.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 112
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.