Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:03:29 AM
714401 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  January Reader Review Poll « previous next »
Poll
Question: Which Reader Review Should Be Posted On The Front Page During January?  (Voting closed: December 31, 2006, 11:05:09 PM)
Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter - 7 (53.8%)
The Karate Kid Part III - 1 (7.7%)
Dungeons and Dragons - animated - 5 (38.5%)
Total Voters: 12

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: January Reader Review Poll  (Read 4306 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: December 24, 2006, 03:23:16 PM »

Hi all, with the change to a forum-based submission system, I thought a good way of picking the next reader review would be via a poll.  Everyone, including myself, can cast one vote.  If there is a review you really think I should add, please let me know and I will do so.  My goal is to pick a handful (and only one per reviewer), so that there is a focused target area.

"Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter" by Clockwork Canary
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,111404.msg111604.html#msg111604

"The Karate Kid Part III" by Ben Black
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,111999.msg121629.html#msg121629

"G-Men from Hell" by KYGOTC
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,112107.0.html

"Dungeons and Dragons" (animated series) by Akiraturbo
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,112197.msg123158.html#msg123158

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2006, 03:36:36 PM »

What!?! No Friday the 13th Marathon Review mention?

TeddyR

That was an easy vote for me, though all of them have their merits as reviews, the one which stands out for me is Akiratubo's Dungeons and Dragons review as it exemplifies, for me anyway, what a review should be; and it went beyond that into an obviously very personal look at his subject and really pulled the reader into the subject of the review. (IMO)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2006, 08:08:20 PM »

I'm gonna have to go with FTTTFC, love that Clockwork Canary and his crazy captions!

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »

G-Men from Hell, with a title like that it could be anything, I would pick this up a blockbuster based on the title alone.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2006, 06:14:27 AM »

In all honesty, I would have voted for myself even if it was going up against something like "Shock Treatment" or "Surf Nazis Must Die" or even "Bubba Ho-Tep", but this time I voted for me because although the D&D review was very good, (kudos to Akiraturbo), I would rather a movie be posted up as opposed to a tv show. And as for "Karate Kid" and "Friday the 13th", well, "G-Men from Hell" just seems a bit more "B"ish to me. Plus it is much less mainstream, so it would be cool to be posted up because not a lot of people have heard of "G-men from Hell" so it would be nice to have a reveiw for it so people know that it exists, because EVERYONE has AT LEAST heard of F.T.13th. and Karate Kid. I'd just like to give something new a chance, ya dig?

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2006, 11:15:45 PM »

I voted for the Dungeons & Dragons review.
Other than Andrew's Heavy Metal 2000 review, I can't recall any other cartoons being reviewed here at Badmovies.org.

I think the Dungeons & Dragons review would make a nice addition.   Thumbup
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2006, 08:16:26 AM »

Wizards (apparently there are bare breasts on the site, just animated ones lol) and Legend of the Overfiend.

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2006, 09:05:41 AM »

Wizards (apparently there are bare breasts on the site, just animated ones lol) and Legend of the Overfiend.

Also Light Years and Fist of the North Star.

Attack of the Supermonsters probably counts too.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2006, 02:10:04 PM »

Don't forget Heavy Metal 2000.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2006, 02:24:04 PM »

Ash mentioned that in his post

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2006, 11:01:54 PM »

KYGOTC's review is removed from the possible candidates and he is banned for 30 days due to problems he has with integrity.  He also earned it by thinking that I was that damn stupid. 

The poll is closed.  In order to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future, I will do what I have done in the past - select one of the best-received reviews and ask the author's permission to post the review. 

Clockwork Canary and Akiraturbo, I would like to try and post both of yours during January - though Clockwork's format might cause problems for the template I use.  May I have your permission to do so?

EDIT:  My email to him bounced, due to invalid address.  He will figure it out somehow.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 11:04:47 PM by Andrew » Logged

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2006, 10:02:26 AM »

In order to prevent this sort of thing from happening in the future, I will do what I have done in the past - select one of the best-received reviews and ask the author's permission to post the review.

I think that is a great idea.

I got the feeling (I could be way off on this) that some of the voting for the reviews was based more on the subject of the review more than the content of the review.

The Karate Kid III review was one which I enjoyed reading, yet it got only one vote. Was this due to people not caring for the review, or to people not caring for the movie?

When I read a review, I don't want the author telling me basically what happened from beginning to end; I can get that from watching the movie. I would like the author's insight. I would like some input which may actually help me to enjoy the movie even more, to be something which entertains me, or maybe even irritates me, but I would like for the review to be more than a chronology of events which happened in the movie.

What impressed me about Akiratubo's review is that he provided so much input which could not be had with a cursory glance and made the subject of his review something I would want to investigate further, and most likely be able to enjoy that much more due to the additional insight he has provided me.

What attracted all of us to this site in the first place, Andrew, is your ability to entertain with your take on films, and your unique way of doing it. If anybody is qualified to judge a review on its merits, that would most certainly be you.

Now I have to go back to my normal mode and terrorize the members of the board some more.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2006, 12:28:06 PM »

I got the feeling (I could be way off on this) that some of the voting for the reviews was based more on the subject of the review more than the content of the review.

I think that all of them had some very good points.  Akiraturbo's was notable in some finely-made observations.  He obviously cared a lot about what he was writing and took the time to translate what he felt and why he felt it into the review.  Clockwork's review did it for me, just because he put together that map.  It was an insightful bit, which made me wonder why I had never thought to plot out the size of the camp.  Ben's review interested me in seeing the film, something I had never considered before - at all (despite knowing of it).

What attracted all of us to this site in the first place, Andrew, is your ability to entertain with your take on films, and your unique way of doing it. If anybody is qualified to judge a review on its merits, that would most certainly be you.

Eh, a common worry of mine is failing to write reviews as a fan of the genre and become what I see in many professional critics: somebody doing it, because that's how you do it.  Hopefully, the recent reviews have been as enjoyable and true as older articles.  Asking everyone has popped into my mind a few times, because I do not want to lose touch.  The reviews are me watching the movie with the reader, laughing, cursing, enjoying, and complaining about it as I would to a friend.

Now I have to go back to my normal mode and terrorize the members of the board some more.

I think I need a graphic for the forum that says, "Beware of the Menard."

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2006, 12:46:40 PM »

What happened to KYGOTC's review? Why did you take it off?

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2006, 01:22:42 PM »

What happened to KYGOTC's review? Why did you take it off?

The intent of the poll was for the forum community to pick which review to publish.  He, with some friends it appeared, was violating the integrity of the poll.  A couple of other accounts were deleted or received a permanent ban at the same time as I put the 30 day ban on his account.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  January Reader Review Poll « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.