Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:01:00 PM
714475 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Movie Drought! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Bad Movie Drought!  (Read 1758 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 21, 2008, 06:14:58 AM »

So I haven't posted a thread on this board for a while and it is a bit of a shame, since that's kind of the point isn't it?  Much like my state is with water, it seems I am in somewhat of a B-movie drought and I need HELP!

Last b-movie I saw was the excellent Supervixens last month, and I should probably do a little review on it and it's glory.

BUT

I need to choose my next adventure, and whilst I have a very large collection of unwatched gems, I figure I'll keep the list small for now to aid in choices.  These are some of my unwatched films that I keep putting off, but bought because they looked interesting etc.

Dead And Buried

Driller Killer

The Brood

The Entity

The Monster Maker

Cherry 2000

What are your suggestions and should I avoid any of them in place of better pursuits?  If so why?

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2008, 06:43:12 AM »

The only one I've seen is Cherry 2000.  It's pretty fun, the plot certainly moves along quickly enough.  I'd give it a good recommendation.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2008, 08:15:32 AM »

If "The Brood" is from the one from 1979, written and directed by David  Cronenberg, I would choose it to watch. I don't remember much beyond the general story line, have only seen it once when it came out, but I do remember the wife and I both found it interesting and enjoyable.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2008, 08:23:00 AM »

* DEAD AND BURIED - The plot and pacing are sometimes uneven, but this is a decent (and often overlooked) zombie movie.  Some scenes are pretty bizarre and initially shocking, but may make you laugh after a few seconds.

* DRILLER KILLER - A lot of people don't like this movie (but I like it - - it is a treasured component of my DVD collection and I've seen it 5 or 6 times).  I think it is too dreary and slow-moving for most people.  And I've heard a lot of people complain about the ending.

* THE BROOD - A nice, early Cronenberg feature.  It has a few of his trademark "gross out" scenes, but I don't consider it to be especially suspenseful or scary.

I have all 3 of these on DVD and any of them would be a good choice for your next viewing.  However, based on public opinion, I'd probably put THE BROOD and DEAD AND BURIED as choices "1A" and "1B" and save DRILLER KILLER as a secondary choice.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2008, 11:11:20 AM »

Driller Killer
I found this movie to be horrible.  A better title might have been "Surely, Sooner or Later the Driller Killer."

The Brood
Freaky Cronenberg horror.  The one crazy guy who couldn't stop referring to the psychiatrist as his daddy was creepy, and the mother of the brood was just plain psycho.  The "giving birth" scene is pure Cronenberg.  Besides that, I think it ends up being one of his less body-horror-specific.

The Entity
This film is pretty wild, and the scenes with her getting attacked by the invisible whatever are really disturbing.  I believe that Stan Winston made the fake body used for Barbara Hershey.  I've actually thought about reviewing this for April Fools and purposely mixing it with "Beaches."

The Monster Maker
Hey, it's on DVD now!  Thank you for making me notice.

Cherry 2000
This is the fun "bad movie" out of the bunch.  Here's the review

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »

Dead And Buried

Driller Killer

Never seen 'em.

The Brood

This one is also in my "to watch, eventually" stack.

The Entity

Not bad.  Used to play a lot on FMC or TCM (?) last year.  Legend of Hell House was more memorable.

The Monster Maker

Haven't seen it.  Saw it's pseudo remake.  UGH!

Cherry 2000

Thumbup  Thumbup

This one will surprise you.  It starts out like this crazy yuppie utopia flick then takes a turn down a blind alley behind an insanitorium the dives down a rabbit hole into a sewer that empties into an atomic wasteland of fun.  It is, in essence, a love story. . with a twist.

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
voltron

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2008, 02:19:06 PM »

I highly reccomend The Brood. Another fine '70s era Cronenberg effort. Those deformed kids freaked me out! I dug Driller Killer because of the irritating punk band who kept playing that damn song over and over. Word of warning: the VHS cover still is the goriest part of the film. I saw The Entity a few years back, but it didn't leave much of an impression on me. Haven't seen Cherry 2000.

"Nothin' out there but God's little creatures - more scared of you than you are of them"  - Warren, "Just Before Dawn"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Bad Movie Drought! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.