Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:02:37 PM
713368 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 112
Author Topic: COVID-19 Rant  (Read 339708 times)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2020, 01:55:19 AM »

Here you go, chicken little. Some good news to toss a monkey wrench into the “rusty cogs” of all of your hopeless old & sickly fear. Choke on a little hope and happiness, why don’t ya?  Cheers

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/amid-growing-coronavirus-cases-another-number-increasing-recoveries-n1148126?cid=sm_npd_nn_fb_ma

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2020, 05:10:12 AM »

Hey, you learned how to post a link. Go you! I am almost impressed. Now, why do you think survival rates are increasing? Go on see if you can figure this part out. I'll give you a clue. The initial death rate when this disease first appeared in Wuhan was 4.3%

Ok, granted you've posted an article that shows that people are listening to the medical advice out there rather than supports what ever the hell it is you've been claiming, and you are still to post a single piece of proof that backs up anything you've said, but we can work on that. Honestly, you don't need to help us out by posting stuff that helps us. Look around. No one else seems to be buying your brand of Kool-Aid.

It is funny watching you try to sell it though, so please keep on. People need a laugh at times like this.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 05:46:59 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2020, 08:07:04 AM »

No need for personal attacks, guys. They won't convince others you're right; in fact, they do the exact opposite. They serve no purpose in a discussion.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2020, 09:37:33 AM »

Hey, you learned how to post a link. Go you! I am almost impressed. Now, why do you think survival rates are increasing? Go on see if you can figure this part out. I'll give you a clue. The initial death rate when this disease first appeared in Wuhan was 4.3%

Ok, granted you've posted an article that shows that people are listening to the medical advice out there rather than supports what ever the hell it is you've been claiming, and you are still to post a single piece of proof that backs up anything you've said, but we can work on that. Honestly, you don't need to help us out by posting stuff that helps us. Look around. No one else seems to be buying your brand of Kool-Aid.

It is funny watching you try to sell it though, so please keep on. People need a laugh at times like this.

My “brand of Kool Aid” is telling you not to live in constant fear of this bug, yet you seem to prefer being scared sh!tless over all of this. You seem to hate good news, Alex.

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

My “brand of Kool Aid” is telling you not to live in constant fear of this bug, yet you seem to prefer being scared sh!tless over all of this.

I agree with the protocols in  place, and I'm not "scared sh!tless." I have no personal fear whatsoever, though I'm mildly concerned for my elderly parents. The point is I'm willing to be inconvenienced for the sake of the greater good.

If your only point is we shouldn't be scared sh!tless, then I think there's no disagreement at all here.

We all agree it's stupid to stockpile toilet paper.

In other news, here's a slider that lets you set your own infection and fatality rates and make projections as to the death toll: https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/16/upshot/coronavirus-best-worst-death-toll-scenario.html

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2020, 10:41:21 AM »

You seem to think that taking reasonable precautions to help save people equates to being scared s**tless. It doesn't. I’ve been scared s**tless a couple of times. Sometimes that’s involved big scary people with knifes or guns.  This isn’t anything like that, and when it comes down to it, being scared can be a damn good way of staying alive if you control it and don’t let fear take over. Major evolutionary survival trait that. I have even mentioned previously when I was waiting for my test results that I did not feel afraid for myself, but I was concerned for other people around me who I may have infected.

Do I think you need to be afraid of this? Not unless you are in any of the high risk catagories. I do however feel, as with pretty much anything in nature you have to treat it with a bit of respect and follow the safe guidelines. Believe me, it is quite possible to do that without having to live in terror.

Dismissing everything about it though or thinking it’s some vast conspiracy though... well foolish doesn’t even begin to cover it.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2020, 01:14:03 PM »

An article Zelmo may enjoy (may be behind a paywall): https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/us/coronavirus-hype-overreaction-social-distancing.html

claws
« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2020, 01:37:16 PM »

First case officially confirmed in our small town (pop. 13,000) today. Local authorities literally said no need to panic, and that the infected woman is doing fine. Our town's Facebook page however is hysteria pure at the moment  **edit to add** I only read the first post and someone was joking. People posting on our town's page are actually calm.
Coincidentally my 12 day vacation started today. There's talk of a two week lockdown starting on Sunday but hasn't been confirmed (yet). I didn't stock up on food yet because I never do, though I have a few bags of pasta and tomatoes in tins in the pantry. I might get more tin food tomorrow just in case I guess. Oh well.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 01:56:03 PM by claws » Logged
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2020, 02:26:24 PM »

Ever seen that movie 84 Charing Cross Road, which is set in World War Two Britain, and the family came home and their house had burned down, and one of them said, "But I didn't hear any air raid sirens." And the fireman said, "Houses do still burn down, even in wartime." Well even during this pandemic we still have to deal with the usual nuisances like the common cold, and someone I know has one, just a garden variety sneezing, sniffling cold, but somehow it's funny to think life and mundane illnesses go on.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2020, 02:47:35 PM »

At least it is showing signs of slowing in the countries that have gotten a proper grip on the prevention/slowing of the spread. Even in Italy's worst-hit region. Don't know if anyone saw the photo's of the pretty young Italian nurse, with bruises all over her face from wearing the breathing apparatus all day long (I thought the story was going to be about some patient attacking her), or the other nurse who had simply collapsed from exhaustion at her desk?

Wuhan seems to be coming out of isolation too, with travel restrictions slowly being lessened. Quarantine efforts in the UK are stepping up, although various government scientific advisors have been pulling their hair out in frustration at trying to get politicians to act earlier. There is a rumour going around that police, backed up by the military are going to be deployed on the streets to arrest anyone caught wandering around. Given our level of response so far that seems highly doubtful. Plus there simply aren't enough of us to maintain that level of control over the country, so I'll file that one away in the bin. Not saying it couldn't happen later on, but right now I'll go with not a chance.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2020, 02:48:36 PM »

We (as in me and Tiana) live in a small village (pop.1,200), and the grocery store has water, TP, etc. I guess if anybodies stocking up, they must be going somewhere else to buy stuff.  There is no one on the street, but most days that's the way it is anyhow! Tiana has to have her temp read everyday before entering work, but that makes sense, being as she's a nursing aide at an assisted living facility. Otherwise, life is exactly like it ever was.
Yeah, Zelmo, we're all terrified in my small part of the world.  Lookingup
« Last Edit: March 18, 2020, 03:33:26 PM by RCMerchant » Logged

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2020, 03:04:53 PM »

Researchers have confirmed that is was highly unlikely that Covid-19 was man-made after a Chinese official claimed it could have been made by the US army and released in Wuhan.

If I wanted to get into conspiracy theories there, I'd be more likely to ask questions about the 34-year-old doctor who announced the existence of the virus and got into trouble for it, then died of the virus.

sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2020, 04:21:11 PM »

Something occurred to me today too in that humans have some biological needs.  (Aside from food and f**king, that is).  One of those needs can be the need for connection with others.  I think too many experts are so focused on "flattening the curve" that they fail to realize that social distancing cannot turn in to socially isolating people otherwise they will ignore them and go out, or worse yet lash out and hurt themselves or others.  The modern human species is about 300,000 years old with proto-humans going back about 6 million years.  They need to come up with better ways to manage this that don't try to fight losing battles against basic human biological needs. 

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
chefzombie
zombie chef to the stars

« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2020, 07:06:00 PM »

No need for personal attacks, guys. They won't convince others you're right; in fact, they do the exact opposite. They serve no purpose in a discussion.

the troll started this rev, with me. you are the only person who can put a stop to it, and you know how. i will give back what i get this time, i'm not playing another sven game, period.

don't EVEN...EVER!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #104 on: March 19, 2020, 02:35:03 AM »

Trying to reassure people that tanks are not about to be deployed on all our streets to keep everyone in their house.

For a start there just isn't enough bodies in the military to do that. The last round of cutbacks left the army as officially a militia less than 100,000 men in uniform and they got rid of a good number of our tanks too. No order has been sent out to call out the reserves and until I hear of that happening I am not going to be worried about that.

Really, there is a nice big middle ground between believing end times scenarios like this and the absolute bunkum posted by Zelmo about it not being a problem at all. Yes it is a dangerous virus, yes action needs to be taken to contain it, and for us, it is actions we have not seen before, but it is not the end times. The four horsemen are still back at the stables (unless they've got with the times and upgraded to motorcycles as per Good Omens, in which case they are hanging around a garage, or perchance a greasy spoon cafe).

We are about to develop a test that will tell people if they've previously had Covid-19 without showing symptoms. This is being hailed as a game-changer. Hmm, not seeing that as being incredibly useful from my point of view until they can say for sure wither having it once gives you immunity from catching it again or not. Possibly that has been announced, and I've just not seen it with all the other stuff going on.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 112
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.