Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:32:17 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 112
Author Topic: COVID-19 Rant  (Read 339687 times)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #1050 on: June 10, 2021, 11:30:51 AM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-sees-probable-link-between-pfizer-vaccine-small-number-myocarditis-cases-2021-06-01/

Israel sees probable link between Pfizer vaccine and myocarditis [heart inflammation] cases

In Israel, 275 cases of myocarditis were reported between December 2020 and May 2021 among more than 5 million vaccinated people, the ministry said in disclosing the findings of a study it commissioned to examine the matter.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said last week that heart inflammation after receiving the Pfizer vaccine had been no cause for concern as such incidents were similar rate to those in the general population. It added at the time that young men were particularly prone to the condition.

Why does the title say one thing when the article says another?? >_<

I think the content of the article matches the title. The Israeli study found a link, some other studies found no link. Plus there's the whole "correlation is not causation" issue to consider. Still, everyone quoted seems to agree that the risk of the unvaccinated contracting covid outweighs the risk of the vaccinated getting myocarditis.

Bit of a side note, it never stops being fascinating how completely terrible human beings are at understanding and especially comparing probability.  You can tell someone you've got a one in ten thousand chance of dying of COVID19, for example, and then tell them 25 people out of 40 million got non-fatal vaccine complications, and people will balk at the vaccine.  I guess part of it is definite VS possible danger, but still.

People are right to be skeptical and suspicious though. Even the President has called for an investigation into the matter.

The Wuhan lab leak explanation was at first considered to be a conspiracy theory that was pushed by the far-right to blame China for the pandemic.

But that changed on May 26 when President Joe Biden sensationally announced a review of the pandemic "lab leak" theory after allegedly shutting down a previous probe into its origins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-sun.com/news/3012768/chinese-whistleblower-virologist-blasts-fauci-backs-covid-bioweapon/amp/

Yes, the lab leak theory is possible, I just doubt we'll ever be able to prove or disprove it, and don't see what difference it ultimately makes. I don't see how knowledge of the virus' ultimate origin would change any health policy decisions about dealing with the pandemic.

I doubt it would change any health policies at all, but the mere idea of a manufactured virus to coincide with a convenient vaccine to counter it does not sit well with people that are currently on the fence about it. It’s hard enough to trust our government with anything as it is, but to expect those folk to trust a hostile foreign government like China at their word is a pretty tall order.

That highlighted part honestly sounds crazy to me.  Bluesad The lab leak theory isn't that the virus was manufactured, it's that a natural virus they were studying at the Wuhan institute of Virology accidentally infected someone due to violation of protocols.

Accidental lab leak is plausible, but unlikely... accidental lab leak of a manufactured virus far less likely... deliberate leak of a manufactured virus is getting into tin foil hat territory... deliberate release of a manufactured virus in conjunction with a worldwide conspiracy to administer vaccines is no-reasoning-with-these-people nuts.

We do agree that no one trusts China at their word, however.

Then why is the Biden Administration investigating an unlikely tin foil hat theory at the encouragement of Dr. Fauci? Have you read the leaked Fauci emails? They are pretty damning?

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1051 on: June 10, 2021, 12:21:51 PM »

https://www.reuters.com/world/middle-east/israel-sees-probable-link-between-pfizer-vaccine-small-number-myocarditis-cases-2021-06-01/

Israel sees probable link between Pfizer vaccine and myocarditis [heart inflammation] cases

In Israel, 275 cases of myocarditis were reported between December 2020 and May 2021 among more than 5 million vaccinated people, the ministry said in disclosing the findings of a study it commissioned to examine the matter.

The European Medicines Agency (EMA) said last week that heart inflammation after receiving the Pfizer vaccine had been no cause for concern as such incidents were similar rate to those in the general population. It added at the time that young men were particularly prone to the condition.

Why does the title say one thing when the article says another?? >_<

I think the content of the article matches the title. The Israeli study found a link, some other studies found no link. Plus there's the whole "correlation is not causation" issue to consider. Still, everyone quoted seems to agree that the risk of the unvaccinated contracting covid outweighs the risk of the vaccinated getting myocarditis.

Bit of a side note, it never stops being fascinating how completely terrible human beings are at understanding and especially comparing probability.  You can tell someone you've got a one in ten thousand chance of dying of COVID19, for example, and then tell them 25 people out of 40 million got non-fatal vaccine complications, and people will balk at the vaccine.  I guess part of it is definite VS possible danger, but still.

People are right to be skeptical and suspicious though. Even the President has called for an investigation into the matter.

The Wuhan lab leak explanation was at first considered to be a conspiracy theory that was pushed by the far-right to blame China for the pandemic.

But that changed on May 26 when President Joe Biden sensationally announced a review of the pandemic "lab leak" theory after allegedly shutting down a previous probe into its origins.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.the-sun.com/news/3012768/chinese-whistleblower-virologist-blasts-fauci-backs-covid-bioweapon/amp/

Yes, the lab leak theory is possible, I just doubt we'll ever be able to prove or disprove it, and don't see what difference it ultimately makes. I don't see how knowledge of the virus' ultimate origin would change any health policy decisions about dealing with the pandemic.

I doubt it would change any health policies at all, but the mere idea of a manufactured virus to coincide with a convenient vaccine to counter it does not sit well with people that are currently on the fence about it. It’s hard enough to trust our government with anything as it is, but to expect those folk to trust a hostile foreign government like China at their word is a pretty tall order.

That highlighted part honestly sounds crazy to me.  Bluesad The lab leak theory isn't that the virus was manufactured, it's that a natural virus they were studying at the Wuhan institute of Virology accidentally infected someone due to violation of protocols.

Accidental lab leak is plausible, but unlikely... accidental lab leak of a manufactured virus far less likely... deliberate leak of a manufactured virus is getting into tin foil hat territory... deliberate release of a manufactured virus in conjunction with a worldwide conspiracy to administer vaccines is no-reasoning-with-these-people nuts.

We do agree that no one trusts China at their word, however.

Then why is the Biden Administration investigating an unlikely tin foil hat theory at the encouragement of Dr. Fauci? Have you read the leaked Fauci emails? They are pretty damning?

The Biden administration isn't investigating the tin foil hat theory. They're investigating the plausible lab leak theory.

Nothing I've seen from the Fauci emails was the slightest bit interesting. Steve Scalise threw a fit and quoted some of the most "damning" examples and they were all big yawns. "I saw like you did back in February of 2020 where Dr. Fauci was acknowledging, or was getting emails sent to him that there was a real distinct possibility that this virus started in the lab in Wuhan—which many of us were saying over a year ago." (Scalise on Fox News). So what? Fauci's answer on CNN: "I have always said, and will say today to you, John, that I still believe the most likely origin is from an animal species to a human, but I keep an absolutely open mind that if there may be other origins of that, there may be another reason, it could have been a lab leak." Totally reasonable response. I'm not going to read the emails myself because if someone with an agenda can't go through them and cherry-pick something suspicious, there's almost certainly nothing there.

You have to establish the lab leak premise, which will probably never be proven, before you even start to consider the crazier theories down the line. Almost none of them implicate the vaccine. Accidental lab leak of natural virus: no implication for vaccine. Accidental lab leak of manufactured virus: no implication for vaccine. Deliberate leak of manufactured virus: no implication for vaccine.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1052 on: June 10, 2021, 01:53:03 PM »

A vaccine for a manufactured virus finished within the same year of the virus’ release is most certainly an implication of the vaccine itself, and lends credence to the whole “plandemic” theory. That is akin to an auto shop selling you a lemon vehicle with faulty mechanics that they knew about but didn’t tell you about them, but hey, they have a great deal on services that could fix those issues right up for you. That is the general suspicion that you are running into and why so many people don’t want to take those vaccines.

You didn’t see the one email from Adam Guertner to Anthony Fauci dated March 11, 2020 at 06:16:40 AM EDT, the one with the subject “Coronavirus bioweapon production method”? Check it out and let us know what you think of it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 02:00:29 PM by zelmo73 » Logged

------------------
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1053 on: June 10, 2021, 02:42:17 PM »

A vaccine for a manufactured virus finished within the same year of the virus’ release is most certainly an implication of the vaccine itself, and lends credence to the whole “plandemic” theory. That is akin to an auto shop selling you a lemon vehicle with faulty mechanics that they knew about but didn’t tell you about them, but hey, they have a great deal on services that could fix those issues right up for you. That is the general suspicion that you are running into and why so many people don’t want to take those vaccines.

You didn’t see the one email from Adam Guertner to Anthony Fauci dated March 11, 2020 at 06:16:40 AM EDT, the one with the subject “Coronavirus bioweapon production method”? Check it out and let us know what you think of it.

The plandemic theory is bonkers; it both makes no sense on it's own, and has no evidence to support it. I'm sorry, but I can't have a discussion with anyone who takes it seriously.  Bluesad I don't believe there is any fact I could give you that would convince you.

The only link Google shows for "email from Adam Guertner to Anthony Fauci dated March 11, 2020 at 06:16:40 AM EDT, the one with the subject “Coronavirus bioweapon production method”" goes to a QAnon message board and there's nothing there but a search form. Though some more digging turned up this:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jun/02/blog-posting/no-emails-fauci-dont-show-early-agreement-virus-wa/

I understand being skeptical of government, but I think you should be even more skeptical of independent QAnon researchers, who are just anonymous people with no credentials or accountability. If you're not, I don't have time to refute every theory you can dig up, so I will simply stop here.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1054 on: June 10, 2021, 03:39:28 PM »

The plandemic theory is bonkers; it both makes no sense on it's own, and has no evidence to support it. I'm sorry, but I can't have a discussion with anyone who takes it seriously.  Bluesad I don't believe there is any fact I could give you that would convince you.

The only link Google shows for "email from Adam Guertner to Anthony Fauci dated March 11, 2020 at 06:16:40 AM EDT, the one with the subject “Coronavirus bioweapon production method”" goes to a QAnon message board and there's nothing there but a search form. Though some more digging turned up this:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/jun/02/blog-posting/no-emails-fauci-dont-show-early-agreement-virus-wa/

I understand being skeptical of government, but I think you should be even more skeptical of independent QAnon researchers, who are just anonymous people with no credentials or accountability. If you're not, I don't have time to refute every theory you can dig up, so I will simply stop here.

Your first mistake was using Google. Use DuckDuckGo instead.

This is the link to all of Dr. Fauci’s emails released under FOIA. Page 2,286 contains the incriminating document. Go ahead and verify it: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/20793561-leopold-nih-foia-anthony-fauci-emails

I got the link to these documents from here; I’m not sure if Buzzfeed is connected to QAnon or not; I’m certain that would have made the mainstream news if they were: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nataliebettendorf/fauci-emails-covid-response

------------------
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1055 on: June 10, 2021, 04:01:18 PM »

The plandemic theory is bonkers; it both makes no sense on it's own, and has no evidence to support it. I'm sorry, but I can't have a discussion with anyone who takes it seriously.  Bluesad I don't believe there is any fact I could give you that would convince you.

This is the link to all of Dr. Fauci’s emails released under FOIA. Page 2,286 contains the incriminating document. Go ahead and verify it: https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/20793561-leopold-nih-foia-anthony-fauci-emails

I got the link to these documents from here; I’m not sure if Buzzfeed is connected to QAnon or not; I’m certain that would have made the mainstream news if they were: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/nataliebettendorf/fauci-emails-covid-response

Didn't you make many, many posts claiming that nothing Fauci says was worth listening to? If you now try using him to base your arguments on, it kinda weakens your whole premise.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1056 on: June 10, 2021, 04:03:26 PM »

I'm glad you don't want to be associated with QAnon. But I'm not sure what source directed you to the "incriminating" Gaetner email. Buzzfeed, Steve Scalise, or any other source outside of a conspiracy theorist on Instagram doesn't mention it. The Politifact debunking post I linked above does mention the Gaetner email. Says it was an unsolicited public comment from an "independent researcher" who is not a doctor but who claims to have found a cure for Covid. It's not surprising among the thousands of emails he receives that he wouldn't respond to it.

Then I found more debunking: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/06/03/fact-check-email-fauci-doesnt-contain-origin-coronavirus/7511931002/ . That article says Gaetner's email was itself plagiarized from a 2005 medical paper. USA Today's conclusion: "The claim that an email to Fauci contained the origins of the coronavirus is FALSE, based on our research. The text of the email is lifted from a research paper published in 2005, more than a decade before the emergence of COVID-19. Two of the paper’s co-authors said the virus particles used in their experiment did not contain genetic material from a coronavirus, so the process described isn't what Gaertner claims it to be. The self-described 'independent researcher' who sent Fauci the email said in a YouTube video he is not a doctor or professor, and his website includes a disclaimer that its contents should not be used as medical advice."

So now I've checked it out and told you what I think of it: it was a complete waste of time to check it out, just as I would have anticipated.

Skimmed the Buzzfeed article and didn't see anything alarming or incriminating.

Last response on this topic from me.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1057 on: June 10, 2021, 04:16:26 PM »

The plandemic theory is bonkers; it both makes no sense on it's own, and has no evidence to support it. I'm sorry, but I can't have a discussion with anyone who takes it seriously.  Bluesad I don't believe there is any fact I could give you that would convince you.

Didn't you make many, many posts claiming that nothing Fauci says was worth listening to? If you now try using him to base your arguments on, it kinda weakens your whole premise.

I made those comments because of the amount of “believe the science” bootlicking that was prevalent in that conversation. What you should be asking yourself is why you don’t believe Fauci now.

------------------
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1058 on: June 10, 2021, 04:36:22 PM »

I'm glad you don't want to be associated with QAnon. But I'm not sure what source directed you to the "incriminating" Gaetner email. Buzzfeed, Steve Scalise, or any other source outside of a conspiracy theorist on Instagram doesn't mention it. The Politifact debunking post I linked above does mention the Gaetner email. Says it was an unsolicited public comment from an "independent researcher" who is not a doctor but who claims to have found a cure for Covid. It's not surprising among the thousands of emails he receives that he wouldn't respond to it.

Then I found more debunking: https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2021/06/03/fact-check-email-fauci-doesnt-contain-origin-coronavirus/7511931002/ . That article says Gaetner's email was itself plagiarized from a 2005 medical paper. USA Today's conclusion: "The claim that an email to Fauci contained the origins of the coronavirus is FALSE, based on our research. The text of the email is lifted from a research paper published in 2005, more than a decade before the emergence of COVID-19. Two of the paper’s co-authors said the virus particles used in their experiment did not contain genetic material from a coronavirus, so the process described isn't what Gaertner claims it to be. The self-described 'independent researcher' who sent Fauci the email said in a YouTube video he is not a doctor or professor, and his website includes a disclaimer that its contents should not be used as medical advice."

So now I've checked it out and told you what I think of it: it was a complete waste of time to check it out, just as I would have anticipated.

Skimmed the Buzzfeed article and didn't see anything alarming or incriminating.

Last response on this topic from me.

But you did check it out. Bravo to you for not only reading headlines. Maybe now you have a better idea of why so many people are so skeptical of the science, especially when the science is so riddled with loopholes. Do you honestly believe that the average joe is going to care about the difference between a tin foil hat theory and a plausible lab leak theory? Either way you cut it, the COVID-19 outbreak was caused by either human intention or human error, which either way destroys the theory of the outbreak happening through natural causes. The PCR tests for COVID-19 were found to be largely unreliable. The vaccine itself has a 90% or so effectivity rate against a disease that has over a 99% survivability rate soooo... I mean really, just how effective is the vaccine, when you think about it?

That is why you have so many vaccine skeptics out there.

------------------
Jim H

« Reply #1059 on: June 10, 2021, 08:49:47 PM »

I mean really, just how effective is the vaccine, when you think about it?

You do understand the difference between those numbers, right?  It's a 90% reduction in severe complications/death if exposed.  That is, a 1% death rate chance would be reduced to .1%.  Meaning potentially tens of millions fewer deaths worldwide.  I mean, it's probably closer to a .5% death rate, but that's still going to be tens of millions of lives.
pennywise37

« Reply #1060 on: June 10, 2021, 09:17:25 PM »

there's a site i belonged to where someone gave his opinion about the vaccine i'm not gonna post all of that on here but one thing he said was that there was only 1% chance of dying from Covid, i posted last year they said it was i think a 6% but that it prolly did get higher than that and that it prolly has gotten lower since the vaccine but it's never been 1% or else less people would have died i think
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1061 on: June 10, 2021, 11:00:57 PM »

there's a site i belonged to where someone gave his opinion about the vaccine i'm not gonna post all of that on here but one thing he said was that there was only 1% chance of dying from Covid, i posted last year they said it was i think a 6% but that it prolly did get higher than that and that it prolly has gotten lower since the vaccine but it's never been 1% or else less people would have died i think

What is 1% of approximately 33.4 million American cases?

About 3.8 million people died of COVID-19 out of approximately 175 million COVID cases in the world. What is 1% of 175,000,000?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2021, 11:09:10 PM by zelmo73 » Logged

------------------
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1062 on: June 10, 2021, 11:55:29 PM »

I made those comments because of the amount of “believe the science” bootlicking that was prevalent in that conversation. What you should be asking yourself is why you don’t believe Fauci now.

Where did I say I didn't believe him now (or do believe him for that matter? Tbh I haven't read your links because in the past so much of what you've said has turned out to be total rubbish so I don't waste my time checking it out. I haven't actually heard what his emails are supposed to say. I was commenting on you now trying to use someone you have previously disparaged as someone we should listen to.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:03:36 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1063 on: June 11, 2021, 12:02:54 AM »

...Where did I say I didn't believe him now? I was commenting on you now trying to use someone you have previously disparaged as someone we should listen to.

Doesn't it get stupid stateside?  I dig an outsider, marginalized, and angry, but crap.  At what point does common sense wade in?   Stupid for its own sake? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1064 on: June 11, 2021, 12:11:36 AM »

One quick search later...

Doctor Anthony Fauci has responded to revelations over released emails during the height of the coronavirus pandemic in which he was warned that the disease may have been “engineered”.

The top infectious disease expert insisted that the correspondence could easily be “taken out of context” in an interview with NewsNation.

“The only trouble is they are really ripe to be taken out of context where someone can snip out a sentence in an email without showing the other emails and say, ‘based on an email from Dr. Fauci, he said such-and-such,’ where you don’t really have the full context,” Dr Fauci said.

Thousands of the doctor's emails were released this week through FOI requests by The Washington Post and Buzzfeed, giving insight into the handling of the pandemic at its onset.

Amid the emails, one expert speculated to Dr Fauci in January 2020 that the “unusual features” of the novel virus could possibly indicate that it had been “engineered”.

Kristian Andersen, the Scripps Research Institute researcher who sent the email, has since said on Twitter that the correspondence is a “clear example of the scientific process” and maintained that his research regarding the issue debunked the lab-leak theory.

“As I have said many times, we seriously considered a lab leak a possibility. However, significant new data, extensive analyses and many discussions led to the conclusions in our paper,” he said on Twitter.

Dr Fauci also doubled down on his insistence that the email had been misconstrued in an appearance on CNN on Thursday adding that he still believes “the most likely origin is from an animal species to a human”.

“But I keep an absolutely open mind that if there may be other origins of that, there may be another reason, it could have been a lab leak,” he said.

The doctor continued: “I believe if you look historically, what happens in the animal-human interface, that in fact the more likelihood is that you're dealing with a jump of species.”

Dr Fauci noted that he keeps an “open mind all the time” adding: “And that's the reason why I have been public that we should continue to look for the origin.”

The theory that the pandemic originated with a leak from a Chinese research laboratory in Wuhan has once again been gaining speculation in recent weeks. Beijing has vehemently denied the accusation.

Last week, President Joe Biden ordered intelligence officials to intensify their efforts to determine the origin of the disease, including the possibility it began as part of a lab accident.

The scientific community is heavily divided over the controversial theory, with certain experts saying it is “entirely plausible” while others argue such theories “vary from not credible at all to barely credible”.

In the interview with NewsNation, Dr Fauci also responded to criticism of funding sent to the Wuhan Institute of Virology in 2002.

“The Wuhan lab is a very large lab, to the tune of hundreds of millions if not billions of dollars — the grant that we’re talking about was $600,000 (£423,000) over five years,” the doctor said.

He noted that he “can’t guarantee everything that’s going on in the Wuhan lab” but said it was “our obligation as scientists and public health individuals to study the animal-human interface”.

The director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases explained that the world had “lucked out” that it “didn’t get hurt too badly with the original SARS in 2002 and 2003.”

Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 112
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.