Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:50:52 AM
713324 Posts in 53055 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 112
Author Topic: COVID-19 Rant  (Read 339530 times)
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #675 on: September 11, 2020, 01:21:38 AM »

Maybe a simpler way to explain it:

"What the CDC published shows that 6% of coronavirus deaths were from COVID-19 alone while the other 94% of deaths had underlying factors, and while the percentages are true, it doesn’t mean the 6% is the real COVID-19 death count. It means those are the only deaths where patients had no other pre-existing conditions."

https://www.click2houston.com/news/local/2020/09/03/trust-index-is-the-cdc-exaggerating-the-number-of-americans-killed-by-covid-19/

E.g., someone who has, say, asthma has an underlying condition (co-morbidity) that makes COVID fatal for them, whereas the same infection might not kill a perfectly healthy person. In every death listed as a COVID death, COVID is the primary cause of death. People with underlying health conditions are more at risk, but that's not different than any other illness.

It’s weird how the 1.1% death rate for the U.S. hasn’t changed from last year to this year though.

196,000 people have died from COVID in the U.S. There are 328 million people in the U.S. For the death rate to increase by %0.1, 328,000 people would have to die.

Except that according to the CDC, only 6% of that 196,000, or 11,760 people actually died from COVID-19. The rest only had COVID-19 in their system when they died. So how did COVID-19 positive George Floyd die again?

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #676 on: September 11, 2020, 01:37:16 AM »

From a fact checker.

“I think a more reliable way of assessing the deaths attributable to Covid is to look at the excess over historical overall death rates,” Little suggested. The U.S. has so far had more than 200,000 more deaths than it would in an average year, according to a Science Alert examination of CDC data.

"When we try to understand that, COVID-19 is the most rational and likely explanation. If you don't believe it's COVID-19, try to pinpoint why this year has been so different than any other. Why would a new disease that kills people not be the cause?" argued Justin Lessler, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins University.
Our ruling: False

It is false and misleading to claim that only 6% of reported coronavirus deaths were the result of COVID-19. While comorbidities often exacerbate a person's illness from the coronavirus, it is incorrect to state that they are the cause of death rather than the viral infection. We rate this claim FALSE.

Go on, give us a laugh and tell us where you think those extra 200,000 deaths have came from.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #677 on: September 11, 2020, 03:07:07 AM »

It is false and misleading to claim that only 6% of reported coronavirus deaths were the result of COVID-19. While comorbidities often exacerbate a person's illness from the coronavirus, it is incorrect to state that they are the cause of death rather than the viral infection. We rate this claim FALSE.

So the CDC lied, eh? Interesting that you never link us to any of these "fact checkers" of yours, Alex.  Lookingup

------------------
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #678 on: September 11, 2020, 04:45:57 AM »

Funny how you never answer the question being asked. Or in the past when I’ve asked you for links you have failed to provide them. Why should I do this for you if you can’t do the same. If you care to check back over previous posts though you will find that I have posted plenty of links to back up my statements.

So I ask you again, why are the average deaths for Americans almost 200,000 higher this year so far?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2020, 04:51:00 AM by Alex » Logged

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #679 on: September 11, 2020, 07:53:59 AM »

So the CDC lied, eh? Interesting that you never link us to any of these "fact checkers" of yours, Alex.  Lookingup

The fact-checker isn't saying the CDC lied. The CDC never claimed "only 6% of reported coronavirus deaths were the result of COVID-19" and the claim that they did (as circulated in social media memes) is FALSE. That's what Jim and Alex and I have been trying to explain, apparently without success.

Again, the CDC did not make the claim you keep repeating. It's a misinterpretation of what the CDC said that was circulated in social media.

Here's another couple of explanations: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2020/9/1/21417579/cdc-qanon-covid-19-underlying-cause-death-certificate

I don't think any more links would be helpful at this point.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #680 on: September 11, 2020, 10:56:19 AM »

The fact-checker isn't saying the CDC lied. The CDC never claimed "only 6% of reported coronavirus deaths were the result of COVID-19" and the claim that they did (as circulated in social media memes) is FALSE. That's what Jim and Alex and I have been trying to explain, apparently without success.

Again, the CDC did not make the claim you keep repeating. It's a misinterpretation of what the CDC said that was circulated in social media.

Here's another couple of explanations: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/09/cdc-did-not-admit-only-6-of-recorded-deaths-from-covid-19/

https://www.deseret.com/opinion/2020/9/1/21417579/cdc-qanon-covid-19-underlying-cause-death-certificate

I don't think any more links would be helpful at this point.

At least the CDC is admitting that they are reporting presumed (made-up) COVID deaths as well:

COVID-19 deaths are identified using a new ICD–10 code. When COVID-19 is reported as a cause of death – or when it is listed as a “probable” or “presumed” cause — the death is coded as U07.1. This can include cases with or without laboratory confirmation.

------------------
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #681 on: September 11, 2020, 11:28:00 AM »

Still waiting on that explanation for the 200,000 extra deaths.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #682 on: September 11, 2020, 04:51:08 PM »

What 200,000 extra deaths? Where did you get that number?

------------------
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #683 on: September 11, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »

Are you really that dense?

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #684 on: September 11, 2020, 06:37:10 PM »

Reminder that the spread of Covid is based on two things: How dense the population is and how dense the population is.

yeah no.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #685 on: September 11, 2020, 06:39:04 PM »

Reminder that the spread of Covid is based on two things: How dense the population is and how dense the population is.

Thumbup  BounceGiggle

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
pacman000
« Reply #686 on: September 11, 2020, 07:01:32 PM »

Correlation != Causation

I’ve heard an increase in the unemployment rate correlates with an increase in the death rate, but I won’t claim unemployment causes the increased number of deaths; saying that would require more research.
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #687 on: September 11, 2020, 09:23:52 PM »

Correlation != Causation

I’ve heard an increase in the unemployment rate correlates with an increase in the death rate, but I won’t claim unemployment causes the increased number of deaths; saying that would require more research.

There is also the misplaced logic being used; that approximately 200,000 COVID-ish deaths is added to the “normal” death rate. But since the “normal” death rate has certainly been altered due to the majority of the U.S. being locked down, shut in, and/or unemployed, then those “normal” death rates have also certainly been altered. I’m just curious as to where Alex is seeing that additional 200,000 deaths.  

------------------
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #688 on: September 11, 2020, 09:43:54 PM »

This board isn't a debating society and we're really getting nowhere, just causing hard feelings.

Might I suggest this registering for this board if you'd like to debate about the CDC and statistics?

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=502436b6948ccf5f57e2e20f86254db2&t=344976 - general coronavirus science thread

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?s=502436b6948ccf5f57e2e20f86254db2&t=344976 - covid and politics thread

http://www.internationalskeptics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341856 - coronavirus conspiracy theory thread

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
bob
I survived Bucky Larson

Torgo watches you masterbate!

« Reply #689 on: September 24, 2020, 04:41:46 PM »

I FINALLY GOT MY PANDEMIC UNENEMPLOYMENT  TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR TeddyR

I'm not sure if I got everything that's coming to me, but the state website said that they'll be mailing me instructions incase I got shortchanged so I can retroactively make claims  TeddyR

Kubrick, Nolan, Tarantino, Wan, Ińárritu, Scorsese, Chaplin, Abrams, Wes Anderson, Gilliam, Kurosawa - the elite

I believe in the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 112
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.