Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:39:11 PM
713362 Posts in 53058 Topics by 7725 Members
Latest Member: wibwao
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 112
Author Topic: COVID-19 Rant  (Read 339691 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1185 on: August 03, 2021, 02:13:33 PM »

The anti-vaxxers seem to only consider themselves. I.e. if there's only a small chance of me getting sick, why inconvenience myself in the slightest?

These numbers aren't accurate, they're just for illustration purposes. But let's do a thought experiment about a highly transmissible virus with a 1% fatality rate. Everyone who gets it will transmit it to an average of 2 other people.

If you get the virus, there's only a 1% chance of you getting sick. But you transmit it to two other people, so suddenly there's (about) a 3% chance of fatality from your virus. Now each of those two people transmit it to two other people, so now there's approximately a 2^2+1 or ~5% chance of fatality. The next round of transmission raises it to 2^3+1 or ~9%, then 2^4 or about 17%, then 2^5 or 33%... it's pretty clear that eventually somewhere down the line, the virus you transmitted will be responsible for someone else's death.

By getting vaccinated you could change the transmissibility to basically zero. Even if it were only about half effective, you would save lives. And your personal risk from taking the vaccine is essentially zero. So why not do it?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1186 on: August 03, 2021, 04:59:36 PM »

And of course, they consider only one of two possibilities - either you die or you don't get sick.  What they don't think about is the much higher percentage of COVID patients who get seriously ill and/or require hospitalization.  That's a larger number - I think about 5% of cases require hospitalization, and another 4% or so will miss more than two weeks of work - which I would call being pretty sick.  So that's a 1 out of 10 chance of contracting and/or transmitting a pretty serious illness.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Bad day at the construction site

« Reply #1187 on: August 03, 2021, 08:32:04 PM »

The anti-vaxxers seem to only consider themselves. I.e. if there's only a small chance of me getting sick, why inconvenience myself in the slightest?

These numbers aren't accurate, they're just for illustration purposes. But let's do a thought experiment about a highly transmissible virus with a 1% fatality rate. Everyone who gets it will transmit it to an average of 2 other people.

If you get the virus, there's only a 1% chance of you getting sick. But you transmit it to two other people, so suddenly there's (about) a 3% chance of fatality from your virus. Now each of those two people transmit it to two other people, so now there's approximately a 2^2+1 or ~5% chance of fatality. The next round of transmission raises it to 2^3+1 or ~9%, then 2^4 or about 17%, then 2^5 or 33%... it's pretty clear that eventually somewhere down the line, the virus you transmitted will be responsible for someone else's death.

By getting vaccinated you could change the transmissibility to basically zero. Even if it were only about half effective, you would save lives. And your personal risk from taking the vaccine is essentially zero. So why not do it?

That’s not accurate though, because you are not accounting for the vaccinated people that are still spreading the virus and/or its variant. That brings you back to Square One. At which case…really, what’s the point of getting vaccinated if you are still a superspreader? Please help Michael Rapaport figure this out:

https://www.theblaze.com/news/michael-rapaport-rips-fauci-cdc-vaccines-masks#toggle-gdpr

First rule is, 'The laws of Germany'
Second rule is, 'Be nice to mommy'
Third rule is, 'Don't talk to commies'
Fourth rule is, 'Eat kosher salamis'
------------------
The Dalai Lama walks into a pizza shop and says "Make me one with everything!"
pennywise37

« Reply #1188 on: August 03, 2021, 11:08:22 PM »

while yes that may be true but i think the numbers are a lot lower for that than for those who refuse to take it and than give it to someone else
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1189 on: August 04, 2021, 08:17:20 AM »

And of course, they consider only one of two possibilities - either you die or you don't get sick.  What they don't think about is the much higher percentage of COVID patients who get seriously ill and/or require hospitalization.  That's a larger number - I think about 5% of cases require hospitalization, and another 4% or so will miss more than two weeks of work - which I would call being pretty sick.  So that's a 1 out of 10 chance of contracting and/or transmitting a pretty serious illness.

This is an excellent point. Many of the Covid skeptics did not understand that one of the major purposes of the early lockdown was to prevent hospitals from becoming overburdened and forced to turn people away, as happened in China, Italy and India. We avoided that fate.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1190 on: August 04, 2021, 05:43:06 PM »

It’s pretty hard to take any of this seriously anymore when the Party of Trusting the Science doesn’t practice what it preaches and decrees:

https://independentchronicle.com/mayor-lightfoot-slammed-for-partying-maskless-at-lollapalooza/

------------------
pennywise37

« Reply #1191 on: August 04, 2021, 08:09:25 PM »

i just saw that offspring a band i could care less about apparently fired their drummer  for not getting the shot but though i did not read the article common sense to me anyways i think it was prolly him refusing to get it but if that's true i can't say that i blame them. if that's the case where he refuses to get it than i can respect their decision
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1192 on: August 05, 2021, 01:59:34 PM »

I am actually anti-mask, for one thing due to my acute anxiety disorder which makes me freak out if something tight is around my nose and mouth and for the reason that we all have germs in us. We breathe them out, the mask traps them and then when we breathe in, the germs go back in.

However, I will get the jab when my turn comes and I do wear a mask at work, in a vehicle or in a building: I do not wear one at home and I certainly do not wear a mask when I walk somewhere as viruses hate sunlight and fresh air.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1193 on: August 05, 2021, 02:24:45 PM »

I am actually anti-mask, for one thing due to my acute anxiety disorder which makes me freak out if something tight is around my nose and mouth and for the reason that we all have germs in us. We breathe them out, the mask traps them and then when we breathe in, the germs go back in.

However, I will get the jab when my turn comes and I do wear a mask at work, in a vehicle or in a building: I do not wear one at home and I certainly do not wear a mask when I walk somewhere as viruses hate sunlight and fresh air.

I don't entirely agree with you, but you are behaving well and BTW who the hell wears a mark at home...??? 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1194 on: August 05, 2021, 03:29:10 PM »

You sound pro-mask if you're wearing it in public around others.  Thumbup I am sad that it causes you anxiety, though.

Masks are more to prevent you from transmitting the virus to others than to stop you from getting the virus yourself. So yes, the idea is that if you have the virus inside you, it will stay in you and not go out to others.

Before the pandemic, I used to think the Japanese and Chinese looked silly and paranoid wearing masks all the time. Now I understand better.

zelmo73
Eater of Hobbits

« Reply #1195 on: August 05, 2021, 05:03:25 PM »

You are certainly a brave man for calling yourself an anti-masker in this crowd.

------------------
Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1196 on: August 05, 2021, 06:30:12 PM »

I don't entirely agree with you, but you are behaving well and BTW who the hell wears a mark at home...??? 

Some idiot public figure here suggested that SA people should mask up 24/7 - at work, at home, etc - and that person was soon shouted down, thankfully.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1197 on: August 05, 2021, 06:34:45 PM »

You sound pro-mask if you're wearing it in public around others.  Thumbup I am sad that it causes you anxiety, though.

Masks are more to prevent you from transmitting the virus to others than to stop you from getting the virus yourself. So yes, the idea is that if you have the virus inside you, it will stay in you and not go out to others.

Before the pandemic, I used to think the Japanese and Chinese looked silly and paranoid wearing masks all the time. Now I understand better.

I only wear a mask in public around others in a building and in a vehicle: nowhere else. A security person in my neighborhood saw me walking to the store minus mask and shouted that I should be wearing one: I held up my mask which I carry everywhere with me in public, showing him I had one with me  and held it in such a way that I was giving him the finger when I showed him.  TeddyR

A face covering if it's tight is one of the anxiety triggers I have.

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1198 on: August 05, 2021, 06:41:19 PM »

You are certainly a brave man for calling yourself an anti-masker in this crowd.

I only wear a mask to first keep others safe: not really worried about me. I got quite ill in December 2020, got checked out and I was told I had almost all of the symptoms for Covid, except for the high temperature and body pain. I self isolated for almost two weeks, had food etc brought in and I was OK. Thumbup

Trevor
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1199 on: August 05, 2021, 06:46:43 PM »

And in other news, our Minister of Health has resigned: jumped before he was pushed.  Buggedout

https://www.news24.com/news24/southafrica/news/mkhizes-resignation-letter-i-am-resigning-to-bring-stability-to-health-department-20210805

Lookingup Lookingup

Pages: 1 ... 78 79 [80] 81 82 ... 112
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  COVID-19 Rant « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.