|Copyright 1987 Wingnut Films
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Derek - Peter Jackson! In this, his first film, he is: Producer, Director, Actor, Makeup Artist, and Writer. Derek is a wonderfully violent and nerdy bugger with some revolutionary ideas in the field of brain surgery. Member of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, last seen on his way to the alien's home planet.
- Barry - Member of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, spends lots of time suffering his way through being splattered with blood and entrails.
- Frank - Seems to be the leader of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, also sings the title song.
- Ozzy - Final member of the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service, a little on the weird/violent side.
- Giles - Hapless collector who is almost eaten.
- Robert - A retarded alien, played by Peter Jackson!
- Alien Leader - Concealed in the guise of a old man most of the movie, he finally bursts into his horrid "true" form under duress. Sort of looks like a pregnant Rogaine ad. Derek bores through him with the chainsaw.
|This is what bad movies are all about folks, I'm talking a couple of blokes, some chicken guts, automatic weapons, and aliens eating people! All written/produced/directed/acted/SFX'd by a budding Peter Jackson, it's almost a shame we lost him to work on "The Lord of the Rings" and other Tolkien works. The plot is simple and nicely executed, considering the budget they were under it's almost poetry.
Derek, Barry, Frank, and Ozzy are all members of New Zealand's premiere alien butt kicking unit: the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service. When a town is attacked and butchered by aliens (who intend to market humans as fast food) they are put into action. Abe's Oddysee ripped off this movie so bad it hurts.
The team is very human, several aliens take Barry by surprise and he only escapes certain death on account of his teammate. Derek is busy torturing Robert, thereby causing a good deal of alien screaming, and the ruckus brings every bastard in earshot running. What follows is almost a ballet of gore and clumsiness, at the end of which Derek plummets off the cliff and onto uncomfortable looking rocks. He's not dead, but royally screwed up since a chunk of his mind falls out at regular intervals.
Meanwhile, a charity collector happens into the area, and is soon scooped up by the aliens for a victory feast. His rescue dominates a good portion of the team's efforts as they sneak in, dump out the vat he is being marinated in, then try to leave quietly. Fat chance! The boys are quickly embroiled in a messy gun battle with dozens of inept aliens and Ozzy couldn't be happier. (Ozzy is a psychopath, okay?)
Derek pulls himself together and jury rigs a couple of ways to keep his head together before embarking on a chainsaw rampage. The aliens are completely outmatched by the sheer insanity of the four saviors of the Earth (and the moon), they attempt an escape velocity retreat. Poor schmucks, it is too late when the leader realizes he has a Derek on board.
"Bad Taste" has multiple reasons for recommendation. Some are a little extreme, like Frank having to "drink some chuck" (vomit, he ends up having to guzzle vomit) and a sheep being struck by a light anti-tank weapon.
"Bahhhhh..." BOOM! *giggle*
Oh, by the way, here is a great interview with Peter O'Herne (Barry) for you to read.
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- People carrying axes are rarely friendly.
- Having a bayonet hammered into your heel sucks!
- Sledgehammers are laying around all over the place in New Zealand.
- The custom of calling a man's male friend his "mate" is rather disconcerting.
- When firing an Uzi you don't have to make "bang, bang" sounds.
- Brains are spoon food.
- When your skull is cracked and brains are falling out avoid tight hats.
- Blood is slick stuff, mop it up before someone gets killed.
- Vomit is delicious.
- Pine cones are about the least threatening thing you can chuck at someone who has a chainsaw.
- Kicking a decapitated torso in the balls accomplishes very little.
- 11 mins - Derek has an alien hanging upside down over the cliff edge? Hey, it's a bearded and retarded Peter Jackson!
- 19 mins - They're using their buddy as a battering ram!
- 23 mins - That dude has a sledge hammer embedded in his skull!
- 29 mins - Derek is rolling down a cliff! A tall cliff... ...oh SPLAT! Sorry Derek.
- 36 mins - Derek's still alive, but a flap of his skull flopped open and brains fell out! Hehehehe, he's stuffing them back in!
- 47 mins - Yum, blue vomit.
- 57 mins - Frank is taking fire from all sorts of directions.
- 71 mins - RPG!
- 79 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A SHEEP!
- 82 mins - Flying house...
- Alien Leader: "I suppose you're wondering why you're soaking in Reg's eleven secret herbs and spices." (I think he says Reg's...)
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Derek: "Stick all the pieces of brain in a plastic bag Barry, we'll need them for analysis." |
Barry: "No bloody way mate, you can come down here and do that yourself."
||Derek: "I'm a Derek, Dereks don't run."
||Frank: "I knew it was a mistake to issue weapons, we're a government department not a paramilitary unit." |
Derek: "Yeah, the Astro-Investigation and Defense Service."
Ozzy: "Wish we'd change that name."
||Alien Leader: "Aren't I lucky, I got a chunky bit!"
|Theme Song|| Listen to a clip from the soundtrack. |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #33. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Maloy
I've heard of this movie for years, but finally got around to seeing it a few weeks ago. Of course, its cheesy as f*ck, but the creature masks and some of the gore was excellent (ie the guy with his head cut in half)! Not as enjoyable or will have as much replay value as "Evil Dead" films, but its cool.
Reply #34. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Kyx
Well, I saw this movie a long time ago, and yesterday night I saw it again.. and believe me, I still think it's one of the best splatter movie I've ever seen, with all the funny things that make you laugh while sitting on the sofa with beer & pop corn!
People usually talk about the sheep scene, but I want you to remember the seagull one too.. lol!
Reply #35. Posted on June 02, 2005, 06:33:06 AM by radioman970
Actually, PJ plays both Derek and Robert. He definately has some big huge teeth enhancements for Derek. And a guy can down a lot of pizza over 4 years time. Facial and long hair can change an appearance.
Reply #36. Posted on December 16, 2004, 11:05:26 AM by Liz Rose
This is the best movie I have ever seen, next to Dead Alive. These movies are complete classics, and everybody who doesnt think so is dumb.
Reply #37. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Anne
There's more to get than you think, foreign devils (which I mean in the nicest way).
As someone above pointed out, knowing that sheep and sledgehammers really do lie pretty much everywhere in rural New Zealand makes the movie run more comfortably, as does knowing that there's nothing more natural over here than a man calling another man 'mate'.
But it's Robert you should have been looking at. Robert and the rest of the aliens are in fact modelled on a former New Zealand Member of Parliament, Sir Robert Muldoon. The aliens' costumes, including the masks, were intended to make them caricatures of Rob Muldoon, whom I suspect (can't be bothered looking it up now) was Leader of the Opposition for most of the time Bad Taste was being filmed.
And people didn't like him very much.
Reply #38. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM by Stef
Ehi! Modify the movie sheet!
It still says that Derek is Peter Jackson! (false)
Reply #39. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Shit Demon
This is the funniest film I've seen in ages.
DEFINATELY not one for the remake board.
Reply #40. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Los-Man
I saw this film in 1989 (my friend Rosemary barfed in my bathroom), and if you'd told me then the "mindless" idiot with glasses and chainsaw were to direct arguably the greatest Trilogy of all time, and won Best Film and Director, I woulda taken a grenade launcher to send your hindquarters flying! Peter Jackson's first film ranks up there with some of the greatest B-films of all-time to complement LORD OF THE RINGS! We shoulda invited the "Dereks" to fight alongside Arowen, I woulda loved seeing those damn orcs chainsawed (they do look a bit like the aliens in Bad Taste - ever notice?).
|Pages: 1 ... 3 4  6 7 ||
|Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with Fair Use, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.|