|Copyright 1984 New World Pictures.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- George Cooper - Photographer who has been doing work involving bums.
- Lauren - George's girlfriend, she has a pimple on her butt.
- Capt Bosch - Policeman, his wife is the first we see munched. We never see him drinking. (Cops always drink in bad movies remember?)
- Reverend - Daniel Stern! Guy who runs a soup kitchen, he has some cool hair.
- Murphy - Freelance reporter out to get a story, the only thing he does get is munched.
- Wilson - Corrupt director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Reverend shoots him.
- C.H.U.D. - Bums who have been mutated by toxic waste into Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.
|Always suspected there was something funny about New York City and this film proves it. Capt Bosch is being forced by the police commissioner and others to cover up disappearences while the situation grows worse. Between the information Reverend, George, and Murphy gather the plot does thicken, into what I have no idea but it does thicken. We don't get to see the monsters very often which is pretty annoying, we didn't even get to see the diner attack, only the results. I do applaud this film for killing off the reporter though, if they had done in the photographer I might worship it. Ever wonder why the heavily armed and trained police never make it through but a chunky reporter does? (Me too.) The plot muddles around for a long time on Reverend and George running from C.H.U.D. in the sewers before wrapping up with a natural gas explosion. But it doesn't end there, we get to see John Goodman as a cop when C.H.U.D. attack a diner - and the movie ends! Though watching the monsters eat him would have made the film ten minutes longer, not a little man.|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Stay way clear of manhole covers.
- Women are much less attractive when they are talking about a pimple on their ass.
- Girls - Never turn turn your head abruptly when someone is applying lipstick to you.
- When you know the sewer is being flooded with natural gas don't go down there. Darwin didn't figure on New Yorkers...
- There is nuclear waste buried under New York City.
- The New York City Police Department has flamethrowers.
- When investigating a sewer for monsters make sure you have a good flashlight.
- Screaming out your window for help in New York City is likely to bring more insults than succor.
- Cops leave their cars unlocked with keys in the ignition.
- 3 mins - Yes lovely, we get to watch a street sweeper for two minutes straight... ...oh, oh wait! Suck up the pigeon! Hit the gas and get the pigeon! Please, oh please... (it flew away) ...stupid bird.
- 30 mins - Some strange roaring going on in the sewers and you fools aren't running.
- 42 mins - Yeah, what does C.H.U.D. stand for?
- 43 mins - That guy just ate Reverend's quarter! He took it out of the pay phone and ate it! Wait, that's really not very threatening.
- 54 mins - So this guy was just carrying around a padlock?
- 60 mins - Now why is this woman going to open the sewer entrance in her basement? Just one of those, "I wonder what treasures are down here..." things?
- 62 mins - SHOWER SCENE! Pan down! Pan down! Pan down you Communists!
- 66 mins - Why did the neck elongate?
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||A C.H.U.D. roaring.
||Policeman: "She says some monster came out of the sewer and ate her grandfather."
||Murphy: "You figure it out! You may not know it but there's NRC men crawling all over this God damned city. Something's gone wrong and it's so bad nobody wants to talk about it. The cops are going nuts trying to figure out why a bag lady wants a handgun!"
||Wilson: "Two gas company guys just found it, a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller, a C.H.U.D."
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|I've been trying to figure out what environmental advantage having a long neck would be in New York City, especially when women are armed with swords... |
C.H.U.D., we hardly knew thee.
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #25. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Riff
Okay, this movie wasn't great, but it wasn't 2 slimes either. The CHUD looked very gnarly, and the plot wasn't bad. I can't wait to see the seuqal!
Reply #26. Posted on December 15, 2002, 02:13:26 AM by Ooze
Hey remember that Simpsons episode where Homer jumps off a skyscraper to commit suicide but in mid fall grabs onto Rocko who happens to be bungi jumping, but hes so heavy that they stretch the cord and go down through a manhole and encounter C.H.U.D.S? Now that was funny!
Reply #27. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Saint Thomas
I love this movie! C.H.U.D is one of the best horror movies of the 80's. Sure the effects are kinda' dated for todays youth. Maybe it seemed more realistic back then. Over all this movie is sweet!
Reply #28. Posted on September 01, 2003, 02:32:36 AM by (the fan) on 8 -30 -2003 nyc
C.H.U.D is my favorite horror of all time. i remember seeing it in the movies back in 84, i own the dvd version and its even better than the 84 version it has a diffrent and better feel to it the added footage makes a diffrence.The glowy eyed monsters are one of the scrariest monsters i ever saw on a horror flick, i live in nyc and that dinner is still there on layfette street much samller but was kool to see it there. Soho is the area where the movie was shot and it still looks as bumming today in 2003 as it did in 1984. just imagin how much better this movie could have been if only we saw the monsters a little more and got a chance to see them eat the flesh off of those cops or rip those guys up in the sewers, remeber the part wHere JOHN HEARD is looking for VICTOR, how kool it have been to see VICTOR eating HUGO ? or seeing WILSON become a victum of a C.H.U.D he created.the effects here are good i love the 80s horror films, this CGI stuff today looks so fake. I hope someone will make a REAL C.H.U.D 2 movie that BUD the CHUD s**t was an insult . it hand nothing to do with the 84 classic I mean the monsters werent even in the movie. who ever made that movie did not see the 1st film. I would like to see a true sequel and just imagin how kool the C.H.U.Ds could look today. they should make it and give the orginal cast some parts in the movie. hopeful they will bring C.H.U.D back like brought back freddy and jason. every series have a bad film hey look at the 3rd halloween no Micheal Myers, they can do some with C.H.U.D bring us C.H.U.d 3
Reply #29. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Sidney
CHUD is my favorite movie of all time. Even better than Cremaster 3, by a hair....
I LOVE CHUD, and I'm not afraid to admit it to the world. I am awash in the glow of CHUD's ever-present love-light.
Still haven't seen CHUD II: Bud the CHUD. Please email me if you have, and let me know if it is worth it.
Reply #30. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by RatBoy
I don't know if you guys knew this, but they made a sequel to CHUD called CHUD 2 except it has nothing to do with the origional and is like a bad comidy with CHUDs that are more like zombies than anything. Its like the crappy movie My Boyfriend's Back. My friend and I were having another marithon and we saw CHUD1&2 one after the other and they are nothing alike other than some people died in both.
Any way keep up the good work.
Reply #31. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by FERRET
I may be 11 but I think C.H.U.D. is a great movie. I was so wrapted into it untill I saw the second. Sucky,no effence but they don't turn fully C.H.U.D. for crying out loud. It does not have the right to be named C.H.U.D. 2.
Reply #32. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Mictantecutli
It's the only film in which Dilbert battles mutated sewer monsters! (Well, other than that episode where Dilbert switched "jobs" with Ratbert, perhaps)
|Pages: 1 2 3  5 6 7 |