|Copyright 1984 New World Pictures.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- George Cooper - Photographer who has been doing work involving bums.
- Lauren - George's girlfriend, she has a pimple on her butt.
- Capt Bosch - Policeman, his wife is the first we see munched. We never see him drinking. (Cops always drink in bad movies remember?)
- Reverend - Daniel Stern! Guy who runs a soup kitchen, he has some cool hair.
- Murphy - Freelance reporter out to get a story, the only thing he does get is munched.
- Wilson - Corrupt director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Reverend shoots him.
- C.H.U.D. - Bums who have been mutated by toxic waste into Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.
|Always suspected there was something funny about New York City and this film proves it. Capt Bosch is being forced by the police commissioner and others to cover up disappearences while the situation grows worse. Between the information Reverend, George, and Murphy gather the plot does thicken, into what I have no idea but it does thicken. We don't get to see the monsters very often which is pretty annoying, we didn't even get to see the diner attack, only the results. I do applaud this film for killing off the reporter though, if they had done in the photographer I might worship it. Ever wonder why the heavily armed and trained police never make it through but a chunky reporter does? (Me too.) The plot muddles around for a long time on Reverend and George running from C.H.U.D. in the sewers before wrapping up with a natural gas explosion. But it doesn't end there, we get to see John Goodman as a cop when C.H.U.D. attack a diner - and the movie ends! Though watching the monsters eat him would have made the film ten minutes longer, not a little man.|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Stay way clear of manhole covers.
- Women are much less attractive when they are talking about a pimple on their ass.
- Girls - Never turn turn your head abruptly when someone is applying lipstick to you.
- When you know the sewer is being flooded with natural gas don't go down there. Darwin didn't figure on New Yorkers...
- There is nuclear waste buried under New York City.
- The New York City Police Department has flamethrowers.
- When investigating a sewer for monsters make sure you have a good flashlight.
- Screaming out your window for help in New York City is likely to bring more insults than succor.
- Cops leave their cars unlocked with keys in the ignition.
- 3 mins - Yes lovely, we get to watch a street sweeper for two minutes straight... ...oh, oh wait! Suck up the pigeon! Hit the gas and get the pigeon! Please, oh please... (it flew away) ...stupid bird.
- 30 mins - Some strange roaring going on in the sewers and you fools aren't running.
- 42 mins - Yeah, what does C.H.U.D. stand for?
- 43 mins - That guy just ate Reverend's quarter! He took it out of the pay phone and ate it! Wait, that's really not very threatening.
- 54 mins - So this guy was just carrying around a padlock?
- 60 mins - Now why is this woman going to open the sewer entrance in her basement? Just one of those, "I wonder what treasures are down here..." things?
- 62 mins - SHOWER SCENE! Pan down! Pan down! Pan down you Communists!
- 66 mins - Why did the neck elongate?
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||A C.H.U.D. roaring.
||Policeman: "She says some monster came out of the sewer and ate her grandfather."
||Murphy: "You figure it out! You may not know it but there's NRC men crawling all over this God damned city. Something's gone wrong and it's so bad nobody wants to talk about it. The cops are going nuts trying to figure out why a bag lady wants a handgun!"
||Wilson: "Two gas company guys just found it, a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller, a C.H.U.D."
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|I've been trying to figure out what environmental advantage having a long neck would be in New York City, especially when women are armed with swords... |
C.H.U.D., we hardly knew thee.
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #33. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by GreatCthulhu
The 80's was a great decade: trashy metal that would make you speakers melt, designer drugs, and cheapo horror flicks. CHUD is one of about twelve great horror films from that time that I have flashback-y memories of. Needless to say, I bought the DVD.
What I love about the film is its grimyness. Every character, every shot even, is laoded with dirt and sweat and grunge. When most horror films were going out their ways to look "clean", this film was a welcome entry.
Don't be afraid. Get your hands dirty.
Reply #34. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by mike52t
Lets see...CHUDs eating New Yorkers...I don't see a downside.
Reply #35. Posted on October 30, 2004, 02:04:40 PM by Frederick
I recently found a DVD copy of CHUD at my local WLAMART for the low low price of $6.89... this pleased me to a great extent so i purchased it. The special features include a commentary, still photo reel, and the original theatre tailer. The trailer as you may expect is, in every way, as crappy as the movie. However, the photo reel shows just how much work was put into the CHUD costumes, this may explain where the budget for the film went and consequently why the script sucked such a large quantity of ass. None the less, CHUD is the best movie in the world, and next time I go to NYC, i plan on venturing into the sewers of Manhattan to find and befriend some CHUDs, perhaps i can bring on home with me and he can do my homework, or at least munch my teachers when they get mad at me for not doing it, or getting radio active CHUD goo on my assignments.
Reply #36. Posted on December 22, 2004, 08:50:50 PM by Pat
Wow I cant believe my brother spent money on this crap. For one thing a guy is going into the sewers full of bums, wouldnt his wive say wow you smell like crap. Another thing have you noticed that the chud and alien have the same blood pretty much ... hmmm I wonder what they were thinking when they made this video. I can just imagine a guy sitting in his chair in the office thinking of a good movie to make then all the sudden he thinks I got it Ill make a movie about bums who live in the sewer and aligators eat them ... WAIT NO! Chud eat them. Who thought of that word or the acranim.
Reply #37. Posted on August 25, 2005, 11:21:44 AM by IT
One of the worst movies ever made .When I was a teenager I talked some friends into seeing this mess and they never forgiven me for it.AVOID it at all cost .
Reply #38. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by christophe
This CHUD film is an excellent addition to anyones horror film collection. It is a cult classic, never mind what other people on here say about it, but I suppose they can always watch highly polished films like titanic and come away really excited and saying they enjoyed it 100%. But to me films like this should come back, I'd love to see it and it would help get rid of all those p**s poor horror films that are rated 15. You know, the ones your mum would suggest going to see.
Reply #39. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by George
I bought the DVD last year at Best Buy for $5.99 and, as far as I am concerned, it was a smart buy. this version, which contains footage not seen in the theatrical version, kicks ass. Does anyone realize that the other cop in the infamous diner scene is portrayed by Jay Thomas ("Mork & Mindy" , "Mr. Holland's Opus")? As for "CHUD 2", this is a perfect example of a cinematic s**tburger. It plays more like an entry in the "Return Of The Living Dead" series, a very crappy entry. Even Gerrit Graham("SCTV", "The Annihilators") couldn't save it. Don't even bother!
Reply #40. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by :)
CHUD is an epitomy of trash, but the score is decent. Oh, the film has Dilbert, so maybe it's not completely worthless...
|Pages: 1 ... 3 4  6 7 |