|Copyright 1984 New World Pictures.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- George Cooper - Photographer who has been doing work involving bums.
- Lauren - George's girlfriend, she has a pimple on her butt.
- Capt Bosch - Policeman, his wife is the first we see munched. We never see him drinking. (Cops always drink in bad movies remember?)
- Reverend - Daniel Stern! Guy who runs a soup kitchen, he has some cool hair.
- Murphy - Freelance reporter out to get a story, the only thing he does get is munched.
- Wilson - Corrupt director for the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Reverend shoots him.
- C.H.U.D. - Bums who have been mutated by toxic waste into Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers.
|Always suspected there was something funny about New York City and this film proves it. Capt Bosch is being forced by the police commissioner and others to cover up disappearences while the situation grows worse. Between the information Reverend, George, and Murphy gather the plot does thicken, into what I have no idea but it does thicken. We don't get to see the monsters very often which is pretty annoying, we didn't even get to see the diner attack, only the results. I do applaud this film for killing off the reporter though, if they had done in the photographer I might worship it. Ever wonder why the heavily armed and trained police never make it through but a chunky reporter does? (Me too.) The plot muddles around for a long time on Reverend and George running from C.H.U.D. in the sewers before wrapping up with a natural gas explosion. But it doesn't end there, we get to see John Goodman as a cop when C.H.U.D. attack a diner - and the movie ends! Though watching the monsters eat him would have made the film ten minutes longer, not a little man.|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Stay way clear of manhole covers.
- Women are much less attractive when they are talking about a pimple on their ass.
- Girls - Never turn turn your head abruptly when someone is applying lipstick to you.
- When you know the sewer is being flooded with natural gas don't go down there. Darwin didn't figure on New Yorkers...
- There is nuclear waste buried under New York City.
- The New York City Police Department has flamethrowers.
- When investigating a sewer for monsters make sure you have a good flashlight.
- Screaming out your window for help in New York City is likely to bring more insults than succor.
- Cops leave their cars unlocked with keys in the ignition.
- 3 mins - Yes lovely, we get to watch a street sweeper for two minutes straight... ...oh, oh wait! Suck up the pigeon! Hit the gas and get the pigeon! Please, oh please... (it flew away) ...stupid bird.
- 30 mins - Some strange roaring going on in the sewers and you fools aren't running.
- 42 mins - Yeah, what does C.H.U.D. stand for?
- 43 mins - That guy just ate Reverend's quarter! He took it out of the pay phone and ate it! Wait, that's really not very threatening.
- 54 mins - So this guy was just carrying around a padlock?
- 60 mins - Now why is this woman going to open the sewer entrance in her basement? Just one of those, "I wonder what treasures are down here..." things?
- 62 mins - SHOWER SCENE! Pan down! Pan down! Pan down you Communists!
- 66 mins - Why did the neck elongate?
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||A C.H.U.D. roaring.
||Policeman: "She says some monster came out of the sewer and ate her grandfather."
||Murphy: "You figure it out! You may not know it but there's NRC men crawling all over this God damned city. Something's gone wrong and it's so bad nobody wants to talk about it. The cops are going nuts trying to figure out why a bag lady wants a handgun!"
||Wilson: "Two gas company guys just found it, a Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dweller, a C.H.U.D."
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|I've been trying to figure out what environmental advantage having a long neck would be in New York City, especially when women are armed with swords... |
C.H.U.D., we hardly knew thee.
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #41. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by AkiraTubo
C.H.U.D. is something of a hidden gem. Its attempt at a plot halfway make sense as far as these movies go, the CHUDs are kind of scary, and the score sets the mood of the film perfectly.
Plus, we've got REAL ACTORS and not the producer's college frat brothers or whatever.
Definitely check out the DVD release, which contains additional footage and is edited together in the correct order (i.e., diner attack in the middle).
I checked out the personal website of C.H.U.D.'s producer (forget the URL at the moment, google it) and it is quite interesting. He even explains the elongating neck. It was supposed to suddenly and rapidly elongate so the CHUD could take a bite at the heroine from across the room, like a cannibalistic jack-in-the-box. Unfortunately, the effect didn't work out that way but, dammit, they paid for it so they left it in.
Reply #42. Posted on November 02, 2005, 03:00:04 AM by poopsi
This movie should be renamed CHOAD since it bites the big one. You know creativity went sour when people make a movie about turds in the sewer that come to life with glowing eyes.
Reply #43. Posted on April 10, 2006, 11:42:14 AM by Roncore
on the DVD version of chud, on special features, if you keep moving the selection it will eventually highlight the background chuds eyes. Hit enter for a deleted scene fearturing a more revealing version of the shower scene!
Reply #44. Posted on August 31, 2007, 10:48:36 AM by T.Gio
My Professor is in this movie! Of course it rocks! GO CHUD GO!
Reply #45. Posted on August 31, 2007, 10:50:14 AM by Mike
Best movie ever!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted on December 07, 2007, 08:40:55 PM by Patient Zero
Foreshadowing is a good thing... unless there is too much of it.
I mean, jeez! This movie spends 3/4 of its running time on what Jaws
did in its first 30 minutes! If done properly, foreshadowing can increase the aura of suspense in a film. If done improperly, it grinds the film to a halt, as is the case with CHUD.
There was another thing I noticed when watching CHUD. The original mutant corpse was said to have been killed by a gas leak in the sewer. Said gas is likely to be flammable. SO WHY THE F**K DO THE POLICE GO AFTER THEM WITH FLAMETHROWERS????!!!!!!
That would be the most blatant display of incompetence in the history of mankind, topping even FEMA's response to Hurricane Katrina.
Posted on February 23, 2008, 09:07:15 AM by movieguy247
OK-this one is okay but stay away from CHUD 2: Bud The CHUD!!! That movie sucks something fierce! It has nothing to do with its predecessor.
Posted on March 31, 2008, 10:12:35 PM by cudaboy72
first of all you remember when this came out, in the early mid 80s this movie wasnt bad .this was a time when the movies were packed around the corner.i remember waiting in long line for jaws3 in 3d. that was a joke, we should cherish these movies in every way we can ! B movies rule enjoy.....
|Pages: 1 ... 4 5  7 |