|THE EVIL DEAD
|Copyright 1982 Renaissance Pictures.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Ash - Our hero, a little more on the chubby and pansy side than I'd like.
- Linda - Ash's girlfriend, possessed by the evil spirits and damn annoying with that laugh.
- Scott - Your standard blonde leader guy, he gets shrubbed to death trying to escape.
- Shelly - Scott's woman who gets possessed of course. He chops her up with an ax.
- Cheryl - Artsy-fartsy girl, she gets raped by a tree. I did not think it up, do not yell at me...
- The Evil Dead - Demons summoned using the Book of the Dead.
|Overall okay. That's my assessment. Overall okay. Well, you're going to find it a little slow at times but there are a couple of really amusing parts. Especially Scott chopping up his possessed girlfriend as she screams, "No! No! You love her!" How do we arrive at such debauchery you may ask? Heart of the matter is that these kids rent a cabin where some professor had been translating the Book of the Dead. When they play the tape recording of his work it summons the evil spirits, who immediately begin causing havoc. Not only do trees (yes, trees) rape Cheryl, but Linda turns into this giggling pasty face thing. Ash burns the book to dispel the demons, and everything seems fine, we last see him screaming as something rushes out of the forest. Personally I think he was royally screwed. Though you might find this film tepid at best there is solace in the two sequals: Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn and Army of Darkness.|
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Before renting a cabin in the middle of nowhere you should look it over.
- If cellar doors just pop open one should lock them and forget anything happened.
- Ancient demonic texts written in human blood look alot like ballpoint.
- Trees can rape women.
- Evil spirit movies always have some strange dagger hanging around.
- It's not difficult to chop up the woman you love.
- Don't smack the dying guy.
- Possessed people are just full of body fluids - blood, vomit, etc...
- 6 mins - None of you idiots are worried that porch swing is banging against the house when there is no wind?
- 15 mins - Shit! Scotty, I am going to kick your ass!
- 24 mins - Man, that moon is huge! It's going to crash into the Earth! Run! Run!
- 27 mins - Cheryl getting violated by a tree?
- 38 mins - Pencil through the ankle, ouch!
- 55 mins - Just shoot the possessed thing.
- 62 mins - Yes! Chop her up! No, don't get all mushy about it...
- 76 mins - This scene has gone on long enough, something grab him through the door. We know it's coming.
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Professor's recording: "It is entitled Naturan Demanto (I dunno, sue me on the spelling), roughly translated: Book of the Dead."
||Ash: "Cheryl what's the matter with you, did something in the woods do this to you?" |
Cheryl: "No, it was the woods themselves!"
||Scott: "I don't care what happens to her! She's you girlfriend, you take care of her. I'm getting the hell out of here, right now."
||Ash: "Oh, you bastards! Why are you torturing me like this? Why?"
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|Scott chops up Shelly, at least the body her soul used to inhabit before things got out of hand. Just oogle as he dismembers his girlfriend with a very dull axe, it is amazing what you can make up for in sharpness with weight. I wonder if Raimi had some issues with an old girlfriend by this name?
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |