|Copyright 1985 O'Quinn Productions
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Chris and Eddie - Annoying hosts.
- Dr. Dobermind - Sicko taxidermist.
- Jenny - Schoolgirl who needs counseling, she keeps seeing Dobermind everywhere.
- Ash, Wrigley, Porker, and Limberger - Parodies of the characters in "Alien."
- Zachary - Young kid who believes in monsters.
- Mom, Dad, and Barry - Zachary's family, the two males get munched by the monster.
- Mike, Fred, and two guy's who are never named - Playing poker at Fred's house they are interrupted by an alien visitor, Fred gets a special effect through his forehead (dead).
- The Illegal Alien - A demented clown/mime thing.
- The Monster - Creature from Zachary's dreams, we see it's hand cover the trashcan in the end though.
- The Thing in the Basement - Very intelligent and powerful alien, seems to be indestructable.
|Not really one movie, but four shorts. And I mean short, the entire thing is about one hour. One hour including having to put up with Chris and Eddie, if fate ever shines on me to host a tape or show like this and I act the same - kill me. Smother me with a pillow, smash out the window, and escape to Canada. The films are pretty good for just being shorts and, since they are different, I never grew bored. Jenny visits the museum and meets Dr. Dobermind, after that she struggles through a host of horrific daydreams. Her face rots off at one point! Pretty straightforward and over before I could even make fun of it. Next up is a parody of "Alien" and it's not really original, more like "no budget." Enough on that one, it's like talking about your last bowel movement in depth. "Nightfright" is the third short film and my favorite. It deals with a kid who believes in monsters and one is living in his room! Under the bed, in the closet, you know all the hiding places. It eats his brother and father, about to eat him when the dream ends. Of course it was a dream, did your brother ever stick his head under the bed and get it bitten off? (Video below!) The last piece has some serious bad effects but they're funny, especially the sounds. A nice surprise in a very cheap package. |
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Taxidermists shouldn't work part time for ice cream shops.
- Sweaters are better than towels for drying your face.
- Nobody likes waking up to disco music.
- Starships run on diesel.
- Cream pies are involved in lobster procreation.
- Never stick your head under the bed in a b-movie.
- Monsters are obsessed with trash cans.
- Halley's Comet colliding with Earth will ruin a poker game.
- Everybody keeps a loaded Thompson (submachine gun) in their living room.
- Antimeson fields will stop .45 caliber slugs.
- 2 mins - Great, two idiot host guys.
- 10 mins - Young lady, why is there a severed head in your closet?
- 13 mins - Okay, enough of these two morons, put on anything but these two. Midget Iraqi wrestling? Terrific!
- 17 mins - Total "Alien" rip off, fine - it's a parody. Still sucks, are you happy?
- 22 mins - Why is there a lobster on that guy's face? What sort of nasty European porn is this?
- 35 mins - Stupid dog...
- 36 mins - Zach, that's coming from the closet, I'm all for running.
- 45 mins - The next short is called "The Thing in the Basement?" Oh heck.
- 50 mins - Ouch, glowing special effects to the head.
- Ending Credits - Slow down!
- Zachary: "Mom, Dad, the monster got Barry!"
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Dr. Dobermind: "I hate animals! In my laboratory the animals are nothing more than molten, jellylike... ...lumps of rotting flesh!"
||Wrigley: "Okay Porker, load the shuttle with beer! I'm gonna blow that sucker right into outer space."
||Dad: "What are we supposed to be looking for?" |
Zachary: "A monster!"
||Guy: "Fred's been killed by an extraterrestrial beast from outer space!"
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #1. Posted on November 23, 1999, 08:24:55 PM by firstname.lastname@example.org
I LOVE the "Monster ate Barry" clip!
Reply #2. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Ground-Skeeper
Just saw this movie last week. The box made it look to be a promising piece of cheese, but behold its true crappiness. This movie downright was bad. The Alien paroday sucked ass. The best story was the thing in the basement and it wasn't even all that good.
Reply #3. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Glennman
I recognize those two idiots!! Chris Phillips is the guitarist who sings the "I'm an a***ole" song with Denis Leary! And Eddie Brill is a stand-up comic and warm-up guy for sitcoms. As for what they're doing in this flick, I have no idea.
Reply #4. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Michael
This movie can't be all bad, as I remember it from my childhood. When I was about 7 or 8, I thought this was entertaining. Probably laughable now though.
Reply #5. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by John O'Brien
I watched Fright Show many times with my younger brother and we LOVED it. Now that we are older (in our 20's), we are trying to see it again. Is anyone selling a copy or can someone that has it make a copy? I will pay for the copy, even the shipping. Please help!!!
Reply #6. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Mike
I though fright show would be more than I expected when I purchased a copy a while back. Dr. Dobermind had the best effects (if thats even what I should call them) and the scene in the story "Illegal Alien" where it shows the clown jumping up and down was sort of creepy but those were pretty much the only highlights of the movie. A good cheesy horror flick to watch at a sleep-over or on a rainy night.
Reply #7. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Brian Quinn Herring
I also saw this as a child. I agree that this is everything an old horror movie should have been. It's fun to watch high too!
Reply #8. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Sean Foster
Fright Show is a great example of what late 70's/early 80's horror movies, cheesy and fun! They don't make them like this anymore, and that isad! Great flick with four fun stories. "Grenade Mother!"
|Pages:  2 |