|THE GORE-GORE GIRLS
|Copyright 1972 Shock Films
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 3 January 2000
- Abe Gentry - Private investigator and complete dickhead.
- Nancy - Female reporter who changes careers to become a stripper (long story), immediately falls in lust with Gentry.
- Mr. Mabely - Henry Youngman! Owner of every strip club in town. Sounds like a stressful and unrewarding job doesn't it?
- Anderson - Clueless police detective with all of the information, but none of the answers.
- Grunt - Really disturbed fellow that draws faces on vegetables and fruits, then smashes them with his bare hands.
- Barney - Bartender with a bad runny nose, just who you want hovering over your drink.
- Mary - Leader of the local women's liberation army.
- Marlene - Strip club waitress (as in she works at all of them) and the resident serial killer. Has her brain housing group ground into the asphalt by a car tire.
- The Dead Strippers Society - Numerous entertainers murdered in a variety of ways.
|Say what you will about this low budget gore show, but one thing is very clear: Herschell Gordon Lewis had some issues. These days we hardly bat an eye at someone working over another human being with a meat cleaver. Heck, you'd be surprised and possibly disappointed in a slasher film without impressive amounts of blood dripping from the celluloid. Back then it was novel, the man was a pioneer and a visionary.
I don't think he was breast fed enough.
As the title vaguely suggests this is a film about female entertainers being killed. A local paper hopes to make big headlines by hiring Mr. Gentry to solve the bloody crimes and assigns a female reporter to cover his methodology. This is why we are inflicted with an annoying and pompous "hero" character, who gets away with it by being the best private investigator available. Don't go around strip clubs acting like he does, you'll get beat up.
The murders are usually committed with a slicing knife cut to the throat, after which the rapidly expiring girl is subjected to something outrageous like boiling oil or a hot iron. Of course there is blood, great red rivers of it along with what appears to be tomato paste. The scene with the meat tenderizer is a good example of this. To be charitable the girl did have a line of stage blood laid across her throat by the knife before the mallet went to work. It's the fact that seeing a woman's bare bottom (covered in tomato paste) being smacked with a meat tenderizer just before she dies is funny as all get out.
Women just do not dance like the girls in this film anymore and thank goodness for that. Okay, so trying to wiggle seductively to either beach party tunes or classic music (read: public domain) is probably a bitch to say the least. Nothing like watching some girl shake her booty to "The Anvil Chorus" by Verdi, let me tell you. One of the other problems is pasties, I loathe the things and they are evident in force through this film. They're at least interesting when proficiency at twirling (if tasseled) is exhibited, but watching them being thrashed around at random, like some feline play toy, really annoys me.
At long last the killer is revealed then dispatched by the screenwriter with much haste. To make matters worse, the killer comes entirely out of left field in my opinion. It is all well and fine to be proud of tricking the audience for whatever reason, but we are only privy to information the plot provides us. Watching our smug main character explain how he solved the case (just like Sherlock Holmes) only aggravates the situation.
The film shows its low budget origins many times, almost sticking them into your face and bouncing your head between them like... ...something I can't quite pin my finger on right now. In fact, during a scene in which the killer absolutely mangles a girl's face what suspiciously looks like half a walnut appears in the mess. Easily chalked up to being part of the skull I guess. What also jumps to mind is when the police remove bloody sheets from a bed and the mattress had a plastic drop cloth underneath. Either that young lady was losing control of her bladder way earlier than normal or ruining a perfectly good used mattress was out of the question.
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Grisly crime scene photographs are included in newspaper stories about a murder.
- Strip clubs give dancers full access to the cash drawer.
- Headlights work poorly in day for night shots.
- The best way to revive an unconscious woman is by pouring 7UP on her.
- Being smacked on the ass with a meat tenderizer will kill you.
- Women should be ironed on low heat or else they might scorch.
- A woman's left nipple is full of white milk, while the right nipple is full of chocolate milk. This does not depend on the woman's childbearing status.
- Bouncers are helpless against a weakly swung cane.
- Poland is the leading exporter of acid.
- 1 min - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST A MANNEQUIN!
- 6 mins - I bet that he could take off his vest and blend into that ugly couch just like a chameleon.
- 11 mins - At what point did she change her panties?
- 13 mins - They must have driven all night...
- 14 mins - RANDOM GRATUITOUS BREAST SHOT!
- 18 mins - Thank goodness she left that plastic drop cloth on her mattress, it would have been ruined by all the blood.
- 22 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST PRODUCE!
- 40 mins - What is she going to do with that cucumber?
- 50 mins - If someone was trying to stick my face in a boiling pot of cooking oil I'd do a better job of struggling.
- 64 mins - RANDOM GRATUITOUS BREAST SHOT!
- 64 mins - RANDOM ACT OF VIOLENCE AGAINST AN ORANGE!
- 74 mins - Was that chest hair? (It wasn't.) She jumped out the window! A car ran over her head!
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Gentry: "And your newspaper gets exclusive rights to the mystifying story of how the remarkable Abraham Gentry cracks another case." |
Nancy: "You took the words right out of my mouth."
||Gentry: "I was thinking of putting you to bed...and giving an adequate dose of sleeping pills to get rid of you for a few days."
||Anderson: "Ah, face mutilated with a meat tenderizer, throat slit, and this one had her ass beat in."
||Gentry: "Get those women on stage, give them some money, and let their egos do the rest."
|Theme Song|| Listen to a clip from the soundtrack. |
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
|Death by meat tenderizer to the buttocks! Obviously there is some vital organ located in a woman's ass. The other possibility is that she was allergic to tomatoes, but we will never know for certain. |
It's just a silly scene.
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
|The Gore-Gore Girls
Reply #9. Posted on January 16, 2003, 02:21:12 PM by Tony Smith
This movie is made up stupidly (not cleverly) of just two things. Bad porno, and a crappy killer.
|The Gore-Gore Girls
Reply #10. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by Austin
Maybe I was just born too late to miss this fad, but I guess that strippers in the early 70's were into marching band music. And it doesn't stop. The killing is extremely brutal. Lots of eye-popping goodness. I was kinda hoping for the girl who gets her face french-fried would turn into a human hush puppy like in Blood Diner, but I was not disappointed. It was sufficiently messy. Watch this movie. It'll make you laugh. Especially the abrupt ending, and the 'hero', who can only be described as the rudest & most effeminate person on earth, and his comments about the dead girls ("...She lost face 3 times..."). Also, these chicks need to learn how to dance (No offense to the girl above who was in the movie :)). I guess it's just part of the era...
|The Gore-Gore Girls
Reply #11. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Philip Loth
I guess a woman's @$$ tastes better when being beaten with a tenderizer by a stripper-killing maniac!
|The Gore-Gore Girls
Reply #12. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Eddie Berkowitz
The greatest gore film of all time. The gore scenes are just fantastic. Lots of facial, glutial mutilation. Contains a lovely eyeball bursting scene (7 years before Lucio Fulci's Zombie).
|The Gore-Gore Girls
Reply #13. Posted on August 20, 2006, 10:42:59 PM by KYLE K.
Wow. now i really want to see this. I watched the clip of the girl being spanked with a meat tenderizer and i lost it. Funnyest damn thing ive seen all week.
|Pages: 1  |