|Copyright 1993 Republic Pictures Corp.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Charles and Holly - Leaders of the youth group, Holly's entire contribution to the plot is providing Charles a sperm dump.
- Melissa - Charles' anti-social daughter. Yep, put him in charge of more kids.
- Panic - Kleptomaniac gang member who loves his dog. He turns into a giant tick...
- Tyler - Nerd kid who is scared of being left alone. (Isn't the woods peaceful Tyler? No crowds...)
- Kelly - Introvert Asian girl who hates fish.
- Rome and Dee Dee - The horny kids on this trip.
- Sir and Jerry - Two marijuana growers intent on protecting their crop. Both become tick meals.
- Jarvis - Marijuana grower whose herbal steroid mutates the ticks. Becomes a human breeding ground and pops.
- The Ticks - Softball sized ticks with a hallucinogenic toxin.
|The premise is bad, I'll admit, but you have to love the sight of a softball-sized tick scuttling across the floor. Add to this a group of dysfunctional teenagers and two demented marijuana growers and you've got a plot! The special effects aren't so special but they're gooey; for some reason mutated ticks are covered in slime.
A group of inner city youths is participating in a program where they are taken into the woods and given access to hatchets and fire. Great idea! Generation X doesn't get a chance to regress though, they are soon beset by horror of horrors: Jerry and "Sir." Through a complicated course of events only one of the kids is killed and a forest fire kills the ticks. Except one, attached to the bottom of their van...
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Calming music does not belong in scenes involving tire blowouts.
- Kids always carry flash paper.
- Tick pods are full of maple syrup.
- If something is burrowing under the skin of your chest don't shoot at it you moron.
- Herbal steroids will cause massive mutations in wood ticks, um, because they have wood in their name...
- Being stabbed in the knee does little to impede movement.
- Never send a brain-damaged idiot to fetch the van.
- Anabolic steroids are painkillers.
- Giant ticks will explode spectacularly if touched by flame.
- 7 mins - I've been looking at this machine for about 2 minutes and still have no idea what it's intent is.
- 25 mins - This slow "pan up the wall" scene is painfull.
- 36 mins - Hey Panic! Did you say, "Brutus?" Would he move? (you'll have to watch the movie)
- 45 mins - Nobody is freaking out that this dead dog's body is jumping around?
- 62 mins - Flame retardant Christmas tree ad...
- 70 mins - It's supposedly night but that is definately sunlight.
- 84 mins - I'm sorry? The van magically moved closer? And how did Tyler get into the driver's seat so fast?
- 85 mins - Who left a trail of gas to the propane tank?
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Panic: "See, they call me 'Panic' cause I never do."
||Charles: "And poor Kelly, a prisoner of her own troubled mind. In the end, I fear this group will not successfully bond, despite their common antagonist."
||Vet: "A wood tick!" |
Charles: "Ticks do not get this big."
Vet: "It's a tick. Severely altered, but a tick all the same."
||Jerry: "Yeah, they bite like a son of a bitch."
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #1. Posted on January 23, 1999, 02:55:22 AM by Kislev
I usually hate B movies, but I love picking on them. And I love watching them try to save the movie by some gratuitues blood, gore,or sex.
This has some fabulous blood and gore. I love the way Jarvis' body is crawling with ticks under his skin.
I also love the way the tick burst through Panic's body.
Blood and gore.
Reply #2. Posted on January 23, 1999, 02:55:22 AM by firstname.lastname@example.org
I'm a pretty reasonable guy, and I'll watch about any movie at least three or four times... but I tempted to say this about "Ticks": Don't waste your time, especially not your money, on this movie.
Reply #3. Posted on March 04, 1999, 10:47:06 AM by email@example.com
The guy who plays Oz on Buffy, Seth Green, stars in this. I couldn't believe that. It's amazing how folks can go from working on something as 'B' as Ticks, and then move into the big time. (He also played 'Scott Evil' in Austin Powers.)
Reply #4. Posted on March 26, 1999, 10:58:58 AM by firstname.lastname@example.org
This movie not only stars Seth Green of Buffy and Austin Powers fame. Panic is also the guy who played Carlton on The Fresh Prince of Bel Aire. Anyway, I had no idea that steriods and THC had the similar effect of growing ticks to immense proportions. Still a good bad movie even though I still wonder how the tick that came out of Panic managed to be bigger than Panic's body. (did I come out then grow another 2 feet around)?
Reply #5. Posted on May 14, 1999, 07:32:39 AM by
This movie is pretty cool(because of the gore and the ticks!).Don`t watch it if you are looking for great actors!
Reply #6. Posted on May 30, 1999, 09:20:28 PM by email@example.com
I think the fact that "Carlton" plays the "gangsta" makes this movie that much funnier. I sat through the movie just so I could make jokes like, "Hey, Carlton, where's your Tom Jones tapes?" The best line was when Panic and Tyler are talking at the beginning and he's like "well, I'll just have my dog rip your throat out." and the dog isn't scary at all, he looks more cute than scary.
Reply #7. Posted on September 01, 1999, 01:45:08 PM by Warren H.
I was watching this movie, happily wasting away an afternoon, when all of a sudden, Robert Ginty jumped out! (he plays sir) No! Nooooooooo! Robert Ginty was the Exterminator! I had Exterminator flashbacks and began convulsing! I barely got to the STOP button in time. Robert Ginty is the Devil Spawn!
Reply #8. Posted on February 03, 2000, 01:46:50 PM by Paul H.
I love b-movies full of stupid people so this qualifies as something I should like. However, I HATE, HATE Angst ridden teenagers. So I'm torn when watching this movie. I wanted to like it, and it was good in parts, but I HATE, HATE angst ridden teenagers. And this movie is full of them. And here is the worst part: They all don't die. Some of them actually get away to go on and lead somewhat less angst ridden but now mentally scared lives.. They should make a Ticks 2 where I beat them all with a baseball bat.
2 green globs -inspite of the teenagers not really trying to reform their lives at some stupid camp which isn't really trying to reform angst ridden teenages lives.
|Pages:  2 3 |