|Copyright 1993 Republic Pictures Corp.
| Reviewed by Andrew Borntreger on 'a long time ago'
- Charles and Holly - Leaders of the youth group, Holly's entire contribution to the plot is providing Charles a sperm dump.
- Melissa - Charles' anti-social daughter. Yep, put him in charge of more kids.
- Panic - Kleptomaniac gang member who loves his dog. He turns into a giant tick...
- Tyler - Nerd kid who is scared of being left alone. (Isn't the woods peaceful Tyler? No crowds...)
- Kelly - Introvert Asian girl who hates fish.
- Rome and Dee Dee - The horny kids on this trip.
- Sir and Jerry - Two marijuana growers intent on protecting their crop. Both become tick meals.
- Jarvis - Marijuana grower whose herbal steroid mutates the ticks. Becomes a human breeding ground and pops.
- The Ticks - Softball sized ticks with a hallucinogenic toxin.
|The premise is bad, I'll admit, but you have to love the sight of a softball-sized tick scuttling across the floor. Add to this a group of dysfunctional teenagers and two demented marijuana growers and you've got a plot! The special effects aren't so special but they're gooey; for some reason mutated ticks are covered in slime.
A group of inner city youths is participating in a program where they are taken into the woods and given access to hatchets and fire. Great idea! Generation X doesn't get a chance to regress though, they are soon beset by horror of horrors: Jerry and "Sir." Through a complicated course of events only one of the kids is killed and a forest fire kills the ticks. Except one, attached to the bottom of their van...
|Things I Learned From This Movie:|| |
- Calming music does not belong in scenes involving tire blowouts.
- Kids always carry flash paper.
- Tick pods are full of maple syrup.
- If something is burrowing under the skin of your chest don't shoot at it you moron.
- Herbal steroids will cause massive mutations in wood ticks, um, because they have wood in their name...
- Being stabbed in the knee does little to impede movement.
- Never send a brain-damaged idiot to fetch the van.
- Anabolic steroids are painkillers.
- Giant ticks will explode spectacularly if touched by flame.
- 7 mins - I've been looking at this machine for about 2 minutes and still have no idea what it's intent is.
- 25 mins - This slow "pan up the wall" scene is painfull.
- 36 mins - Hey Panic! Did you say, "Brutus?" Would he move? (you'll have to watch the movie)
- 45 mins - Nobody is freaking out that this dead dog's body is jumping around?
- 62 mins - Flame retardant Christmas tree ad...
- 70 mins - It's supposedly night but that is definately sunlight.
- 84 mins - I'm sorry? The van magically moved closer? And how did Tyler get into the driver's seat so fast?
- 85 mins - Who left a trail of gas to the propane tank?
| ||Audio clips in wav format||SOUNDS||Starving actors speak out|| |
||Panic: "See, they call me 'Panic' cause I never do."
||Charles: "And poor Kelly, a prisoner of her own troubled mind. In the end, I fear this group will not successfully bond, despite their common antagonist."
||Vet: "A wood tick!" |
Charles: "Ticks do not get this big."
Vet: "It's a tick. Severely altered, but a tick all the same."
||Jerry: "Yeah, they bite like a son of a bitch."
| ||Click for a larger image||IMAGES||Scenes from the movie|| |
| ||Watch a scene||VIDEO||MPEG video files|| |
| ||Leave a comment||EXTRAS||Buy the movie|| |
Reply #9. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:03 PM by ADAM K
I worked on that movie. I was unemployed at the time and got called in because the set decorator quit, along with lots of other crew members.
If you thought the movie was bad, you should have seen how it was made.
So underfunded it was unbelievable. The craft service truck didnt even have BREAD for the eggs at the morning breakfast.
I think the craft service truck had to be towed to the site because the engine didnt work.
Filming had to be delayed untill they could get plastic pot plants, unbelievably disorganized
The Director was taking all kinds of heat from the crew because he didnt even know how to call out scene and camera directions correctly.
Was I amazed to later see Seth Green in real movies. I remembered his name because that is my brothers name.
Anyway, its one of those movies that is so bad its good.
First and last time I ever got credit for set continuity.
At least when the movie wasnt being shot in a warehouse in the San Fernando Valley they were shooting in Griffith Park which was pleasent
Reply #10. Posted on July 12, 2000, 10:12:36 AM by Paul Westbrook
I happened upon Ticks, by accident, and strangely enough, I enjoyed it. As stupid, and mundane, as the film got, I still found enjoyment out of viewing it. The scene, were the gang member Panic became a giant Tick, was an eye roller, and Clint Howard continues to find new ways to disassociate his reputation, from brother Ron(a great director). The acting, was amateurish, but the film, was a time killer. The bad guys had the right idea, to begin with. JUST STEP ON THEM! DUHH!
Reply #11. Posted on August 26, 2000, 07:25:07 PM by Kathryn
I watched it when was in 5th grade. My mom said I couldn't watch because it was too scary. I did anyway (with the help of my dad). At that time I was so scared I said I'd never go in the woods again. I watch it last night. I feel like a dork.
Reply #12. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by weeghostie
Robert Ginty, the Devil's Spawn??? Well, at least he has the decency to LOOK bored out of his mind...
Reply #13. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:10:12 PM by AlphaWoolf
This movie is elevated from mere entertainment to classic status by Clint Howard's "I'M INFESTED!" scene. Right up there with Marlon Brando's "Stella!" or Jimmy Cagney's "Top of the world, Ma!". Good stuff, with impressive special effects for the obviously low budget.
Reply #14. Posted on July 02, 2001, 10:42:30 AM by Jhon
This movie was great I give it 5 stars. The ticks were cool and the characters were cool. This is one of my favorite movies it is up there with Bleeders Carnosaur Silent Night Deadly Night 4 and Howling 4,5,3
Reply #15. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Daniel
Did ya know Seth Green(Idle Hands, Austin Powers, and Buffy the Vampire Slayer series), the guy who played Carlton Banks from Fresh Prince of Bel Air(love that show even though I'm white), and the guy who played Charles is the same guy from the 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' televison series, are in here? Too bad this movie sucked, though.
Reply #16. Posted on November 25, 2006, 04:09:49 PM by Rusty
Guys, this movie is so badly made, it's the funniest movie I've ever seen! Did you catch the part, when the girls sweep the ticks near the fireplace in the end, they walk away, and the ticks jump in? How could Jerry jump that far with a stabbed knee? (and why was he laughing?) How did Sir's magnum, (they hold 12 shots max) fire literally about 16 shots? How did Sir get hit by a van, smashed through a house, and be just fine? It's a hilarious movie, but you gotta look between the lines! lol
|Pages: 1  3 |